Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2023, 05:12 PM   #1

Water leak in the Cab

At home we have a carport style cantilever off the shop that the RV lives under so it's never really out in the weather which is great. However it was just at cummins getting an oil change in the gen-set and the engine and it was out in some torrential rain we had. When we picked it up water started to come out of the overhead cubbys in the cab. The places where we normally stick sunglasses etc. There are I think three plastic bins up there. There seems to be no sign of intrusion in the bunk area at all but this is definitely wet.

We reached out to our local dealer and were told that's not warranty as Sealant is only 90 days, I'm suspicious of the sealing between the cab and the bottom of the bunk cap as it appears there's a seal there right above the windscreen. Has anyone seen this sort of leak? For now we're drying it all out and it's back under cover.
1998 Monaco Windsor 34PST
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 05:27 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
At home we have a carport style cantilever off the shop that the RV lives under so it's never really out in the weather which is great. However it was just at cummins getting an oil change in the gen-set and the engine and it was out in some torrential rain we had. When we picked it up water started to come out of the overhead cubbys in the cab. The places where we normally stick sunglasses etc. There are I think three plastic bins up there. There seems to be no sign of intrusion in the bunk area at all but this is definitely wet.

We reached out to our local dealer and were told that's not warranty as Sealant is only 90 days, I'm suspicious of the sealing between the cab and the bottom of the bunk cap as it appears there's a seal there right above the windscreen. Has anyone seen this sort of leak? For now we're drying it all out and it's back under cover.
2023 model and the dealer told you that... find another dealer. That's poor customer service on a motorhome like yours and to not even look at it.

Reach out to Dynamax. They have folks who monitor the posts here.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 05:36 PM   #3

In the meantime... check the sealant on the overhead lights. Frequently they are not sealed properly..... and either find another dealer or reach out to Forest River.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:34 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Asking something over the phone will yield you zero results. Take it to a dealer and have them determine the cause of the leak. Until then, everything is speculation.

Edit:
If it is "just the cap" and not the bunk, then it is likely a cap light and water is pooling in the cap itself.

All of our cap lights come with grommets, so sealant should not be needed, though I think we do anyway. Check the light, make sure the grommet is there and the light is not cracked.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Asking something over the phone will yield you zero results. Take it to a dealer and have them determine the cause of the leak. Until then, everything is speculation.

Edit:
If it is "just the cap" and not the bunk, then it is likely a cap light and water is pooling in the cap itself.

All of our cap lights come with grommets, so sealant should not be needed, though I think we do anyway. Check the light, make sure the grommet is there and the light is not cracked.
Well the dealer told us if we brought it in for them to diagnose and it was a sealant issue then that wasn't a warranty item as the sealant is only warrantied for 90 days, is that true or not? By cap lights do you mean the ones on top of the Cap, over the bunk? What I'm saying is we're seeing no evidence of water in the bunk area, but between the bunk area and the cab where the remote switch panel is on the cab over what would be where a rearview mirror would be, those plastic pockets are leaking. I would have though if the lights on the roof were leaking you'd see it above as well, and we're not seeing that, which is why I was thinking it was between the cap and the cab. It seems unlikely the rain was that strong sideways but it was a pretty epic storm.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:31 PM   #6
Commercial Member

It would depend on the sealant issue...if it was cracked (which I highly doubt) it would be maintenance related. If it was a clear void, then it would be a warranty issue. We no longer state "90 day sealant warranty" on our stuff because it is not that simple.

I know exactly what you are referring to with what is leaking water, which is why I said what I did. If the lights are leaking, it will just run along the cap and fill up the bottom until it fills to a level that would cover the fasteners that mount the cap to the cab. This area is behind the seal that seals the cap to cab.

The bunk is sort of a "assembly inside an assemble". The fiberglass cap is installed, it is tied into the walls, roof, and cab. The cavity is filled with insulation and the bunk is really built "inside" of that. SO typically if a cap light is leaking, it will fill the cap. The only way the bunk shows moisture is if the roof seam leaks.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
It would depend on the sealant issue...if it was cracked (which I highly doubt) it would be maintenance related. If it was a clear void, then it would be a warranty issue. We no longer state "90 day sealant warranty" on our stuff because it is not that simple.

I know exactly what you are referring to with what is leaking water, which is why I said what I did. If the lights are leaking, it will just run along the cap and fill up the bottom until it fills to a level that would cover the fasteners that mount the cap to the cab. This area is behind the seal that seals the cap to cab.

The bunk is sort of a "assembly inside an assemble". The fiberglass cap is installed, it is tied into the walls, roof, and cab. The cavity is filled with insulation and the bunk is really built "inside" of that. SO typically if a cap light is leaking, it will fill the cap. The only way the bunk shows moisture is if the roof seam leaks.
Ah that make a lot of sense thank you for the explanation. So I'll go up and check out those lights then, and take a hose see if we can find a leak. One question though from my limited view of the roof it looks like that part is fiberglass, and further back it's whatever the roof material is, is it structurally okay to move about on that part of the cap to get at those or should I be attempting to reach over from a ladder? I'm figuring I'll lay down a mat or soemthing to make it less slippery to crawl up there.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:58 PM   #8
Commercial Member

The roof cap is modled fiberglass. The roof is pebbled fiberglass. (FRP really from Crane). Substrate is 1/2" plywood with rafters 16" OC. You can move around up there with caution.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:01 PM   #9

climbed up on a ladder today and sprayed all the lights, the windows, the cab, every seam I could find with a hose and didn't find anything leaking we had the front pockets out and the trim removed (we could see where the cab roof was cut when it was built) and nothing seemed to come through, so that's not good because at this point I'm not sure where its leaking or what to do.

sigh.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:23 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
climbed up on a ladder today and sprayed all the lights, the windows, the cab, every seam I could find with a hose and didn't find anything leaking we had the front pockets out and the trim removed (we could see where the cab roof was cut when it was built) and nothing seemed to come through, so that's not good because at this point I'm not sure where its leaking or what to do.

sigh.
A “pretty epic storm” might best be replicated at the high pressure car wash, with a witness inside.

Just saying.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #11
Commercial Member

A dealer could do a "seek a leak" test. They pressurize the inside, spray a soapy solution to the exterior and see where it bubbles up.

Old 11-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

Given the lack of enthusiasm that a lot of RVers have about their nearest dealers, I’d hate to see what the timing and cost would be for a “steak a leak” by a dealer……
If they even have the equipment or facilities.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:10 PM   #13

The local dealer seemed less enthused about looking for the leak when we called them (see note about it not being covered under warranty etc). so I'm defaulting to trying to figure this out myself. How does one pressurize the inside? I'm imagining I might have that equipment
Old 11-27-2023, 05:27 PM   #14

My two cents. I don't have the same unit but had a similar problem. Went to pick up my RV from storage and had water dripping into the cab. I cleaned all the seams and found a bad seal where the front cap and roof meet. Resealed with Dicor and no more problems.

If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they went.

Will Rogers
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
My two cents. I don't have the same unit but had a similar problem. Went to pick up my RV from storage and had water dripping into the cab. I cleaned all the seams and found a bad seal where the front cap and roof meet. Resealed with Dicor and no more problems.
That was my initial thought based on where the leaks came into the cab, but Brian explained it could still be on top of the cap. Will need to try again with a pressure washer I guess and see if we can replicate the issue.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
That was my initial thought based on where the leaks came into the cab, but Brian explained it could still be on top of the cap. Will need to try again with a pressure washer I guess and see if we can replicate the issue.
Good luck to you.

If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they went.

Will Rogers
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:57 PM   #17

Coming back to this got the pressure washer out and sprayed it everywhere around the front of the cab upper bunk windows etc, no sign of any water intrusion, sigh. The other thread about roof cracks have me thinking though, I'm going to get out a ladder and take a look on top to see if the roof has cracked.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Coming back to this got the pressure washer out and sprayed it everywhere around the front of the cab upper bunk windows etc, no sign of any water intrusion, sigh. The other thread about roof cracks have me thinking though, I'm going to get out a ladder and take a look on top to see if the roof has cracked.
Also check the caulking seams. Occasionally people have found that while the caulk appears undamaged, the seal has come loose and water has seeped under the caulk... especially in a torrential rain where water stays on the roof for a period of time.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:23 PM   #19

Third trip put this weekend for Presidents Day, we are 3 months in now.. When we drove away from the house and stopped at the corner the wife took a solid cup of water in her lap from the trim above her seat, good times. The outside cab to cap seal looks fine, the side cap window is tight, I will have to get up top and check the cab light when we get home where I have a proper ladder. We are expecting 5 days of rain this week. The plywood above the cab trim is damp but the ceiling above the bunk looks fine.
malmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:57 PM   #20

Leaving on trip number 4 tomorrow out to Glamis. Moving the RV out again I got another dump of water in the front passenger corner of the cab, see the picture where the paper towel is.

I have not made time to look at the roof since the last trip, I still need to get a taller A frame ladder. 2024 32KD. This is another one of those things that if I can do a quick fix it is much easier than driving a couple hours to the dealer, leaving it for weeks, and doing it again to pick it up, especially with planned RV trips.

There is also water dripping out quite a bit below the seam cover below the passenger drip rail, see the ground picture, which lines up with this.

Is it plausible water is going in the seem cover below the passenger drip rail and running all the way to the cab plastic trim? The drip rail does not fully cover the seem, and the seem cover is not full sealed at the top. The drivers side overlaps and looks to be sealed.

The only other thing would be the clearance light or window. The cap to cab seal still looks complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240227_175132.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	297293   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240227_174827.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	297294   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240227_183225.jpg
Views:	12