Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #1

Water Pump Keeps cycling/pressurizing

Hey all. My water pump cycles/pressurizes about every 15 seconds. I checked all the hoses and faucets inside the RV and didn’t see any leaks. It looked like maybe there was a small leak at one of the filters so I bought a 1-way check valve and installed it right in front of the vacuum side of the pump and it still cycles every 15 seconds. Could it be the pump itself is bad or the seals inside it? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9548.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	233916
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #2

While you would think a check valve on the suction side should work, a check valve on the pressure side will be much more effective and reliable.

Bruce
Old 07-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

Make sure one of your low point drains aren’t dripping. That was my problem last year.
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

I suspect the internal diaphragm has gone bad. It is an easy and inexpensive fix.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #5

Also check that the valve for adding water is in the position for city water usage. If mine is in the fill position the pump cycles. Not sure why. I guess it leaks back to the tank.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trksr View Post
Make sure one of your low point drains aren’t dripping. That was my problem last year.
I second Trksr'S answer. I had the same issue last summer, a slight leaking valve at the low point.
Gllo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #7

Also, check and see if you outside shower is leaking or just turned off via the little stop at the head. Also, if your inside shower is the same way. On mine, there was a little dirt on the city water inlet check valve not letting it close all the way. Pushed it in and let it flush out, then no more cycling. Hope it is something cheap.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
Retired Member

Have you considered a small accumulator tank?
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #9

Hey, my pump was cycling about every 5 minutes, the white nut that is on the suction hose to the pump has a rubber gasket in it, mine was all scrunched. Put in a new one and problem solved. Good luck.
DJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #10

Water Pump continuous cycling

I had the same problem, continuous water pump cycling, the first time i went out this year. I have a small filter with a plastic bowl just in front of my water pumps intake, and it had frozen and cracked (little leakage), so pump was sucking air. Replaced it (friend had a spare with him) and that immediately fixed the problem. I don't see the same filter in your picture, unless it's on the other side of your pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20200715_20_13_14_Pro.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	233979  
ATJ-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #11

Thanks all.

I put the check valve on the vacuum side so I wouldn’t have to keep the filters and water softener pressurized hoping that would help. It didn’t. 🤷🏼*♂️

Checked low point drains, nothing leaking there.

I ordered a new pressure switch that comes with new pressure diaphragm and seals. Hope that does it.

If I turn down the Allen to reduce the amount of pressure it takes to kick on it cycles less frequently but still cycles so there is a pressure leak somewhere.

Good call on the filter seal. You can’t see it in the pic but it’s there. That would make sense also since it’s between the new check valve and the pump. I’ll try that now.
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #12

You seem to be doing a lot of 'periphery' things. With your motor engaging every 15 seconds, you have a fairly good pressure loss. This seems to me to be a water loss. Faucets/hose connections/toilet leaking. For now if you can not find the leak, turn the pump off and use only when needed.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATJ-TN View Post
I had the same problem, continuous water pump cycling, the first time i went out this year. I have a small filter with a plastic bowl just in front of my water pumps intake, and it had frozen and cracked (little leakage), so pump was sucking air. Replaced it (friend had a spare with him) and that immediately fixed the problem. I don't see the same filter in your picture, unless it's on the other side of your pump.

This is a good thing to point out to anyone that lives in a freeze zone. When winterizing your unit, always remove the water that is in the plastic filter cup by the intake at the water pump. Everyone may get by without this filter freezing for a few years, but it will happen and crack at some point.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #14

Shouldn't be an issue if you are using the pump to draw in antifreeze. Although, not a bad a suggestion.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump