Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The difference between genius and stupidity is......genius has its limits.
Stupidity has no limits... Nothing has ever applied more to my life lately than ever. That is bumper sticker worthy.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #42
D W

Or, like my dealer says, "Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #43

When I was in the Navy, we had a saying - Nothing is sailor-proof!

Also: A happy sailor is a bitching sailor - when we stop bitching, look out - we're up to something!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
When I was in the Navy, we had a saying - Nothing is sailor-proof!

Also: A happy sailor is a bitching sailor - when we stop bitching, look out - we're up to something!
Speak for yourself. When I was in, there was no level of professionalism higher on this planet! Proud to be Navy. Obviously, you never had an shinny belt buckle - on the INSIDE. Attention to detail. If FR took some of our comments/suggestions seriously, they would have a great untouchable product, second to none.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Speak for yourself. When I was in, there was no level of professionalism higher on this planet! Proud to be Navy. Obviously, you never had an shinny belt buckle - on the INSIDE. Attention to detail. If FR took some of our comments/suggestions seriously, they would have a great untouchable product, second to none.
It's a saying; if you didn't hear similar things at some time during your service, I would question which Navy you were in.

And I did not say it applied to me - it has nothing to do with the shiny side of my belt buckle, which you know nothing about.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Or, like my dealer says, "Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious".
We try to make things idiot proof, but they just keep building better idiots.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #47
ysidive

Definitely heard that a lot... A bitchin sailor is a happy sailor...Spend my 4 years in a Diesel Submarine.... Bitchin all the time......
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #48

The factory installed inverter in my 5th wheel stopped charging. I checked the output and it was down to 3 volts. So I ordered a nicer charger/inverter unit and when it came it removed the cover and started the replace and install. That's when I found out the factory electrician was questionable. Every neutral and ground was installed under two of the screws in the grounding bus. There were still 3 empty connections. A bunch were just wrapped around the others. It had been very hot and had melted quite a bit of insulation. I rewired everything there in the cabinet and sent a picture of it to the company. It could have been a very ugly situation. I suggest a little inspection of that area is not such a bad idea.
bc65925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #49

That fellows bathroom heater must have been drawing somewhere around 10 Amps. I'm wondering what the wattage of his inverter was and why it didn't kick-off when the heater clicked on......Thanks for being there for us, Dave, ya'll know we need all the help we can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I just recently had a dousy. Customer had lots of issue with battery and inverter. Had it to the dealer MULTIPLE times, and was super frustrated, finally reached out to me at their wits end. So we got it here. When we checked the batteries, they were toast. "Well that's why they weren't holding a charge, they had been allowed to fully drain way too many times. Also explains why your inverter kept going out". So we put in brand new batteries, changed the inverter to a new magnum style. Everything seemed to be working as designed.

In the end, it came back yet again.

So my guys dig in a little further this time when it came back and the inverter plug was scorched, we started tracing some wires. Found an outlet that we did not install And then a 2nd outlet that we did not install. Neither to code. One if not both went direct to the inverter and bypassed our breakers. So I reach out and ask who did the wiring. "Well I only added two outlets, not several. One so I could charge my phone and one to put a heater in the bathroom". (Smack my head).

Not one time was this ever mentioned...and both were installed, unprotected and without GFI in either location. So no matter what they disconnected, if that heater was plugged in, it was going to draw those batteries down to nothing, unless the 50amp main was cut.

Of course this entire time...it was all our fault. We have enough of our own mistakes, and we would have been happy to fix theirs, if they had just owned up to it.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #50

It didn't kick off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
That fellows bathroom heater must have been drawing somewhere around 10 Amps. I'm wondering what the wattage of his inverter was and why it didn't kick-off when the heater clicked on.
It didn't kick off because the self-appointed "expert" bypassed the inverter output breakers and went directly to the inverter outputs.

Stop and think about this for a second and you will realize why everyone including Brian is so horrified. That's like bypassing the 20 amp circuit breaker for a circuit and the 100 amp main breaker and wiring an outlet directly to the line coming into your house--and then overloading it!

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
It didn't kick off because the self-appointed "expert" bypassed the inverter output breakers and went directly to the inverter outputs.

Stop and think about this for a second and you will realize why everyone including Brian is so horrified. That's like bypassing the 20 amp circuit breaker for a circuit and the 100 amp main breaker and wiring an outlet directly to the line coming into your house--and then overloading it!

Larry
And then bitching about it on this Forum and Facebook telling the world how bad the factory is and how poor their QA is, worst motor home ever...etc.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #52

That's what is confusing me, Larry. My (separate from converter) inverter's breaker is internal and there is no way I can by-pass it. I'm guessing the "expert" wired directly from his converter which had an internal inverter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

Larry
Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #53
ChucknBecky

BC I spent 30 years in Naval Aviation Maintenance. I feel your pain. Gotta get the whole story....
lckspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:39 PM   #54

I spent most of my 45 year working career in automotive service, both manufacturer and retail.

The most problematic customers - whether it was dealers or retail customers - came in two flavors. First, like yours, are the ones who leave out important facts. The other kind are the ones who insist on giving your THEIR diagnosis, usually based on advice from the internet or a friend of a friend.

I enjoyed the business very much most of the time, but sometimes..........ARGHH.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I spent most of my 45 year working career in automotive service, both manufacturer and retail.

The most problematic customers - whether it was dealers or retail customers - came in two flavors. First, like yours, are the ones who leave out important facts. The other kind are the ones who insist on giving your THEIR diagnosis, usually based on advice from the internet or a friend of a friend.

I enjoyed the business very much most of the time, but sometimes..........ARGHH.
Hahaha, everyone has a bad day at work occasionally
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:33 PM   #56

I will give a shout out to BC! He Helped me a lot on my Sunseeker years ago and also gave me a lot of good information I needed on the Coach. I’ve had 3 Rockwoods, 1 Sunseeker, and now my Cedar Creek fifth wheel. FR has been good to me all along.

Even replacing a whole door assembly on the Rockwood Hybrid we had well out of warranty.

Thanks Brian!
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #57

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. luckily this person didn't burn themselves up in the trailer.
I've added wall plugs but always used an electrician buddy of mine to do it correctly.

it is truly amazing to still hear back yard mechanics, electricians, carpenters, etc doing work and when they have an issue its never their fault or "I didn't think it was worth mentioning that I did XXXXX"
Old 01-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post

while I would tend to agree with you on most of this... I have taken our trucks into the dealerships with issues where the internet was a saving grace. for instance sparkplugs from Ecoboost trucks. I had a misfire and the dealership servicing the truck was told to check the plugs and coil packs. they said it would not be covered under warranty. JUST DO IT PLEASE.
they actually found no code but the technician did exactly what I told him to do and he found it. 6 plugs and attached coil packs later the issue I had was gone and the service manager ... well he denied there was any work done to the truck despite the work order showing different. to this day the Service manager contends it was Turbo Spool Up lag.
Traded trucks and dealership.
Not all that wander or wonder are lost.

this plug guy though is another story lol.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #59

Gosh : let’s not roast this o boy , we have no ideal his story! There’s always 2 sides to every story. We tend to jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts.
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #60

The facts that were presented tell us he should never mess around with electricity. Sorta like wiring your house directly to the electric company transformer bypassing everything else...

Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote