Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #1

WeBoost Cell Phone Booster

I am looking at adding a cell phone booster to my 30FW. Has anyone here done that? How did you route the wiring through the roof? How did you mount the external antenna? Internal antenna?

I am assuming if the plate in the picture is removed there would be a roof penetration there for the satellite cable. Would that be a good option. It looks like this will come through behind the refrigerator. I'm not thrilled about pulling out the refer...anyone done that??

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2682.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	236494  
Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbros View Post
I am looking at adding a cell phone booster to my 30FW. Has anyone here done that? How did you route the wiring through the roof? How did you mount the external antenna? Internal antenna?

I am assuming if the plate in the picture is removed there would be a roof penetration there for the satellite cable. Would that be a good option. It looks like this will come through behind the refrigerator. I'm not thrilled about pulling out the refer...anyone done that??

Thanks!
I would like to know a good practice for running a cell phone booster/hotspot antenna outside as well. In my case, it will be a small coaxial cable from a cellular/wifi hotspot to a set of external antennas, but the installation issues are the same. I also found this item https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-CE40...54736680&psc=1 that appears to do the job, without disturbing the existing 'plate' you reference.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-198796-4.html

Post #71 explains how I mounted it and ran the cables.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #4

And Post #81 in the same thread provides the details of how I chose to set up the WeBoost.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 08-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
And Post #81 in the same thread provides the details of how I chose to set up the WeBoost.
Where did you mount the indoor antenna?

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #6

I mounted the external antenna to the ladder, and only run the cable thru the slideout seal if it's needed. I put the interior antenna on the dinette table...it's range isn't very far so you need to be sitting pretty close to it.
Most of the time I just leave my phone next to the interior antenna and turn on a hotspot that I can pick up with my tablet at a much greater range.
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-198796-4.html

Post #71 explains how I mounted it and ran the cables.
Thank you! I'll check it out.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
Where did you mount the indoor antenna?
On the forward wall of the cabover. Just above the bunk. It was the best for me to get it to the proper height. I hang my hotspot on a pop socket right next to it.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 08-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #9

I found the WeBoost worked a lot better and succeed more often if it was 6-10 feet above the roof with a yagi antenna. So it's on a flag pole that I extend and affix to the side of the RV. Because coax needs to be as short as possible at cell frequencies where it's naturally very lossy, I put the pole next to a pair of coax connectors that are about waist high on the side of the RV (originally used for cable and an external TV antenna I think). The amplifier is just 3 feet inside of that connector .. again, to keep the coax short. The inside antenna is also on a short leash. I got much better performance by eliminating as much coax as possible and going to low-loss coax.

The open signal app aims the yagi and has never missed.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:

Thanks!
Here is the way I did mine on my Isata 3. Ran it behind cabinets inside to get by door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	weboost_1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	236564   Click image for larger version

Name:	weboost_3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	236565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron BMV-712 Gauge.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	236566  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #11

WeBoost

I never made a permanent mounting for my WeBoost. I found depending on the site that sometimes it worked best in front or on a particular side. Just depended on where the cell tower was and if there were obstructions I had a pvc pole that I could attach to the ladder if I want to go high.
SantaFe big sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFe big sky View Post
I never made a permanent mounting for my WeBoost. I found depending on the site that sometimes it worked best in front or on a particular side. Just depended on where the cell tower was and if there were obstructions I had a pvc pole that I could attach to the ladder if I want to go high.
X2 ..... I did the same, in part to avoid trees. But, the coax got long in some locations and I found 20-25' less coax more than compensated for other issues. My installation is a bit hokey, I clamp the mast to the flange on my slide-out with spring clamps. The coax wall penetrations are just 30" from the flange.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
I found the WeBoost worked a lot better and succeed more often if it was 6-10 feet above the roof with a yagi antenna.
What yagi are you using?
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
What yagi are you using?
I have the Wilson one. In fact I have two. The second one is inside, pointed at the table where we most use the cell phone.

There is supposedly advantage to two yagis on the outside pole, one tipped 45 to the right and the other tipped 45 to the left. Something about horizontal and vertical polarization. I've never tried this, but I'm tempted.

Once north of Moab in a deep Colorado River canyon with 1000' walls not far away, our best signal was with the yagi pointed squarely at a wall. Surely a reflected signal.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:28 PM   #15

I ran the antenna wire through the wall at the patio awning wall bracket. The plastic inserts in the awning bracket hide the wire going up to the roof. The wire exits the awning wall bracket at the roof edge and onto the roof. I ran the wire across the roof to the TV antenna. The WeBoost antenna has a magnetic base. I painted a piece of sheet metal and attached it to the top of the TV antenna with Dicor self leveling. The WeBoost antenna sits on top of the TV antenna and I can rotate the antenna from inside the MH to tune it even though the WeBoost antenna is omni directional. I used eternabond tape to hold the wire to the roof. One thing I wish I had done is to run the wire inside of wire loom on the roof because once the eternabond tape is down, it is permanent. I mounted the inside amp to the top of a window valance and ran the power cable up the side part of the valance. Everything is out of sight.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
I ran the antenna wire through the wall at the patio awning wall bracket. The plastic inserts in the awning bracket hide the wire going up to the roof. The wire exits the awning wall bracket at the roof edge and onto the roof. I ran the wire across the roof to the TV antenna. The WeBoost antenna has a magnetic base. I painted a piece of sheet metal and attached it to the top of the TV antenna with Dicor self leveling. The WeBoost antenna sits on top of the TV antenna and I can rotate the antenna from inside the MH to tune it even though the WeBoost antenna is omni directional. I used eternabond tape to hold the wire to the roof. One thing I wish I had done is to run the wire inside of wire loom on the roof because once the eternabond tape is down, it is permanent. I mounted the inside amp to the top of a window valance and ran the power cable up the side part of the valance. Everything is out of sight.
Did you use the small WeBoost antenna? Would you any pictures of your installation? Does the small antenna give you much boost?
Old 08-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Did you use the small WeBoost antenna? Would you any pictures of your installation? Does the small antenna give you much boost?
I have the WeBoost Sleek Drive which is the lowest price one they sell. It works with one phone at a time and you have to put the phone in a cradle. We put one of our phones in the cradle its android and seems to have better reception than her iphone. I use the phone as a hot spot and have not been anywhere I do not get a decent 4g lte signal. You can go to the WeBoost web site and they have the specs on each system and the gain of each. The drive sleek I know has the lowest gain but it works great for us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200815_165815[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	236649  
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #18
W9HAM

I ran the coax through the air conditioner and mounted the truckers antenna on the TV antenna mast
W9HAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #19

I only have a home based Weboost... during installation you are encouraged to keep maximum distance between both vertical and horizontal antennas to minimize crosstalk. Check your install instructions before mounting the antennas.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote