Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #1

Weight on slide when retracted (someone please say it ain't so for MH)

I just read the thread from the forum email asking if the OP can use the dinette when it is retracted and the answer from Forest River is an unequivocal no, that the screw heads could snap off the bottom of the box or something like that. And they said not to put more than 150lbs on that slide while traveling as the same thing could happen. Now, this is a travel trailer, not a motor home (I5 30FW to be precise) but I got a bit freaked out as we use the dinette with the table down for the crates for our 3 dogs. That right there is 120lbs, not to mention all the stuff I have in the drawers underneath. Plus the sofa and all the storage above that. So, can someone please ease my mind and tell me that does not apply to the slide in my 30FW? Thanks!!
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #2

Following, we have lunch sitting in the slides in the roadside parks all the time. There is a seatbelt on one side of the dinette. I did wonder why there was no seatbelt on the forward side of the bench? Maybe that is the answer?
Old 10-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
llr

I have a travel trailer and have never heard that, I have heard fully open or closed not partway. We use or slides closed when needed and I am not going to worry about it
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
I just read the thread from the forum email asking if the OP can use the dinette when it is retracted and the answer from Forest River is an unequivocal no, that the screw heads could snap off the bottom of the box or something like that. And they said not to put more than 150lbs on that slide while traveling as the same thing could happen. Now, this is a travel trailer, not a motor home (I5 30FW to be precise) but I got a bit freaked out as we use the dinette with the table down for the crates for our 3 dogs. That right there is 120lbs, not to mention all the stuff I have in the drawers underneath. Plus the sofa and all the storage above that. So, can someone please ease my mind and tell me that does not apply to the slide in my 30FW? Thanks!!
You can't compare a travel trailer to a motorhome. A motorhome is designed to be traveled in....a Travel Trailer is not. That is why we have to have seatbelts and they don't.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You can't compare a travel trailer to a motorhome. A motorhome is designed to be traveled in....a Travel Trailer is not. That is why we have to have seatbelts and they don't.
right, so its ok to use when retracted? of course it is, there are seat belts there, duh... Just wanted to make sure.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

The Catch 22 of Isata slides. Ok to sit with belt on and slide out. But can’t drive! Not Ok to sit with slide in, but can’t drive. Is that what I am reading?
rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel112r View Post
The Catch 22 of Isata slides. Ok to sit with belt on and slide out. But can’t drive! Not Ok to sit with slide in, but can’t drive. Is that what I am reading?
OK to sit both in and out, not ok to drive with out, not sane to wear seatbelt with out
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
After having read all of the posts in this thread, I feel like there are two conversations going on in here - one about trailers and the other about motor homes.

It *seems* as though the answer on weight bearing while the slide is in is different, depending on whether you are talking about one vs the other. (I don't understand why that would be, but that's not the question.

BClemens said in his post that it is ok on the motorhomes. At least one other user said that they received communication from Forest River saying that it was not ok for trailers. Others have said that their dealer had an opinion. Since I discount the dealers' opinion on nearly everything, I don't put much stock in the last one.

My trailer is almost 1 year old and did not come with any documentation or warning stickers on the subject. I have to believe that if these structures were as delicate as presented, they would be going out of their way to make sure that we know that - to minimize their warranty expenses, if nothing else.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
Senior Members

We have used our kitchen slide in when traveling down south for the winter when we are staying at a CG for one night at a time. In the past six years we have not had any problems. Our MH slides do not go out as far as the trailer/5th wheel slides do going in or out. When we take our grand kids they set at the table with their seat belts on as we travel done the road. No problems at all with the slide in our 3010DS.
Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Frankly, I am not sure what you are reading because your summary does not reflect anything that is said above.

The OP read something about what someone "heard", allegedly from Forest River, about a Travel Trailer slide. None of which has anything to do with an Isata Motorhome.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Following, we have lunch sitting in the slides in the roadside parks all the time. There is a seatbelt on one side of the dinette. I did wonder why there was no seatbelt on the forward side of the bench? Maybe that is the answer?
There are no seatbelts in the rear-facing seat because of the potential for head, neck and back injuries in a collision or sudden stop while facing to the rear. Passengers can be in the forward-facing seats with seatbelts, but not in the rear-facing seats.

Infant carriers, of course, are rear-facing because the carrier itself provides head and neck when properly belted into a car, including with a latch at the top., but the infant's neck does not have sufficient strength to prevent injury while facing forward.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Should be one forward facing...odd.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #13
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Should be one forward facing...odd.
Brian, I think he's saying there's no belt on the forward (nearer the front) but rear-facing bench.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Brian, I think he's saying there's no belt on the forward (nearer the front) but rear-facing bench.
Ah yes...as I read that back that does seem to be the case.

Whew!....I was afraid we got that wrong.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #15

In or Out?

I asked Forest River specifically about my Sunseeker and sitting at the table with the slide out retracted. The answer:
Thank you for contacting Forest River with your concerns.
To answer your question Yes you can occupy the seats with slideout in
Thank You

Kevin Long

Good thing since we have been doing it for years when we stop for a quick lunch.
grafic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #16

When we had a TT, the slides moved in much more than on the DP, and the bottom of the slide "box" was suspended in the air about 2" off the floor. They make deeper slides on trailers because they are not to be used while in motion. So, you can get more usable space when parked (and the slides are extended).
If we stepped on the retracted slide, it would put too much stress on an unsupported floor and could break the bottom of the slide out... Just for clarity - the slide floor that is unsupported when retracted is supported by the frame of the trailer when extended. The Slide "box" moves down as it moves out...

When we moved up to a DP, the slide is constructed an entirely different way. the bottom of the slide will always rest directly on top of the coach floor. It is supported, and doesn't even budge when stepped on. As many others have stated, the Motor Homes are designed to be used while the slides are retracted, trailers are not...
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #17

Loading a retracted slide...

This is a question that came a lot on another forum. The problem is mainly related to the slide-outs that are not level with the inside floor. Specific example: the Schwintek. In that case the inside of the slide is actually all cantilevered on the wall, and any extra weight will produce a big load on the vertical wall around the slide. There have been several cases of bolts popping out and resin cracking at the corners.

This is why certain models have specific limitations regarding what you can put on the retracted slide, mostly when travelling (because of all the bumps). When it's extended it's usually more robust, because it's engineered to have all the possible load in that case.

I have a Schwintek in my Lance, and I installed some foldable feet underneath the internal lip, that I use every time it's not extended. Better safe than sorry...
iconnekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #18

Being new to this forum and rv'ing I find it amazing how far off topic this post has gone. Is there not an admin that monitors these things? I've learned about baby seats, dog kennels, drawers full of things, rest stops, everything except the answer, yes or no, can I use the dinette slide out while it's in? Please, people with motor homes do not chip in. I have a 2017 Forest River 27RR toy hauler. Thanks
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsriding View Post
Being new to this forum and rv'ing I find it amazing how far off topic this post has gone. Is there not an admin that monitors these things? I've learned about baby seats, dog kennels, drawers full of things, rest stops, everything except the answer, yes or no, can I use the dinette slide out while it's in? Please, people with motor homes do not chip in. I have a 2017 Forest River 27RR toy hauler. Thanks
I’ve had a dozen TTs over 50 years and often use the dinette with slide in. You often get ridiculous answers from dealers or manufacturers minimum wage employees.

Use your dinette when you want.

No one would publish such nonsense in their useless “Manual”, all of which contain no useful information. But you can check it to confirm if you like.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #20

use it how you wish, don't worry what others think - it's YOUR rv .... there is no 'law' that prohibits how you do ANYTHING....enjoy.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, weight