Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #1

What might I not like, etc. about the ISATA 5 36DS 4x4?

Hello everyone, first post here but active on other RV and related forums ... sorry, its a long somewhat newb post ...

A little back ground, I am in AZ and currently have a '16 Fuzion 420 toy hauler pulled by '15 RAM 3500. Like this toy hauler as it was one of the top of the line at the time and has patio, residential fridge, king bed, etc. However I think it was a "friday build" as been more issues than I hoped to fix and the residential fridge was a big issue as we essentially 100% boondock (sand dunes and forest). Had to add a 1,000W solar system and HUGE battery system to it (lithium was not feasible at the time)! Its also just a beast of a trailer to tow at '43ft.

Looking at a 2021 36DS and with the price tag wanting to hear more of the negatives/things to consider as I know there are a lot of good things on it. Would be first Class C/moho also so even the general things might be overlooking appreciated.

Ok, I will start with what I see now as potential major issues and general questions but hoping to hear things I might be overlooking too ...

1. NO!!!! Someone finally offers a lithium battery setup with 800W solar system option to actually make a residential fridge manageable doing true recreational vehical'ing (not plugged in) but not putting it on the largest model I know us type of people are the 5%'ers but its a huge market here ... its almost like someone finally understood us. Maybe they will do it for me if I order one since Dynamax is more of a custom builder than mass producer? Any reason its more difficult to add this on to the 36DS? Or, any confirmation that should be no issues having a system installed after purchased as I just don't know how tight these rigs are to get all the wiring down etc. I assume the diesel generator could make this a little more manageable in terms of gas use, but it would still need to be on a good portion of the day which just sucks. What batteries does it come with and is there room to add a lot more/bigger batteries (hoping to go lithium but options are nice)? A little Honda 2k or something is just annoying to have to bring along to run fridge ... been there done that.

2. Only the fridge is still on the inverter for 2021 correct? If so, this is annoying too ... if there is an inverter wire it up like a class A so everything can work.

3. Seemed like too much hassle to try and jump from passenger seat to the back in the one I tried. Was hoping it was easier than it seemed. Ar emost of you just stopping and coming in from the outside if older than 12? Could they really not cut the cab open a bit more and do something alternative or option to eliminate the bunk to make this easier . Really trying to avoid going true SuperC or Class A as the 4x4 is very beneficial to me but was hoping this was easier.

4. Can others in the back actually enjoy everything while going down the road or is it really just too cramped with slides in. Open fridge, use microwave, make it to bathroom, dogs roam around, etc.

5. What type or ride to expect in drivers seat and riding in back with this chassis. Seems good from what I could gather but looking for more input if this truly makes traveling to destination also more fun.

6. Theater seats seem cool but thinking couch is perhaps a better choice as dogs will want to sit with us. Pros and cons?

7. The 4x4 is really attractive to me as parking in sand a lot and potential to get wet on a forest road. Any downsides/changes here besides the cost to consider?

8. I assume am fine for weights and towing in general or is it borderline with the 36DS? Would tow probably a 14-20ft enclosed with UTV and some gear. I assume still does fine with this up the steeper grades? No weird speed limiting or torque limiting they might be doing, right?

9. True King bed or smaller "RV King"? Any issues with slides in to get to bed or don't have to fold it or similar, right.

For the record, I don't have a 2021 36DS in my area to look at but have looked at some of the others. Just don't trust dealer sales people much either to ask these questions. I do realize in terms of space, etc. I am downgrading and paying a lot to do so but hoping this setup makes the driving a bit more relaxing for me, wife, and couple small dogs and being a bit shorter when not needing to drag the trailer along will hopefully be worth it.

Thanks for ANY input!!!
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
Hello everyone, first post here but active on other RV and related forums ... sorry, its a long somewhat newb post ...

A little back ground, I am in AZ and currently have a '16 Fuzion 420 toy hauler pulled by '15 RAM 3500. Like this toy hauler as it was one of the top of the line at the time and has patio, residential fridge, king bed, etc. However I think it was a "friday build" as been more issues than I hoped to fix and the residential fridge was a big issue as we essentially 100% boondock (sand dunes and forest). Had to add a 1,000W solar system and HUGE battery system to it (lithium was not feasible at the time)! Its also just a beast of a trailer to tow at '43ft.

Looking at a 2021 36DS and with the price tag wanting to hear more of the negatives/things to consider as I know there are a lot of good things on it. Would be first Class C/moho also so even the general things might be overlooking appreciated.

Ok, I will start with what I see now as potential major issues and general questions but hoping to hear things I might be overlooking too ...

1. NO!!!! Someone finally offers a lithium battery setup with 800W solar system option to actually make a residential fridge manageable doing true recreational vehical'ing (not plugged in) but not putting it on the largest model I know us type of people are the 5%'ers but its a huge market here ... its almost like someone finally understood us. Maybe they will do it for me if I order one since Dynamax is more of a custom builder than mass producer? Any reason its more difficult to add this on to the 36DS? Or, any confirmation that should be no issues having a system installed after purchased as I just don't know how tight these rigs are to get all the wiring down etc. I assume the diesel generator could make this a little more manageable in terms of gas use, but it would still need to be on a good portion of the day which just sucks. What batteries does it come with and is there room to add a lot more/bigger batteries (hoping to go lithium but options are nice)? A little Honda 2k or something is just annoying to have to bring along to run fridge ... been there done that.

2. Only the fridge is still on the inverter for 2021 correct? If so, this is annoying too ... if there is an inverter wire it up like a class A so everything can work.

3. Seemed like too much hassle to try and jump from passenger seat to the back in the one I tried. Was hoping it was easier than it seemed. Ar emost of you just stopping and coming in from the outside if older than 12? Could they really not cut the cab open a bit more and do something alternative or option to eliminate the bunk to make this easier . Really trying to avoid going true SuperC or Class A as the 4x4 is very beneficial to me but was hoping this was easier.

4. Can others in the back actually enjoy everything while going down the road or is it really just too cramped with slides in. Open fridge, use microwave, make it to bathroom, dogs roam around, etc.

5. What type or ride to expect in drivers seat and riding in back with this chassis. Seems good from what I could gather but looking for more input if this truly makes traveling to destination also more fun.

6. Theater seats seem cool but thinking couch is perhaps a better choice as dogs will want to sit with us. Pros and cons?

7. The 4x4 is really attractive to me as parking in sand a lot and potential to get wet on a forest road. Any downsides/changes here besides the cost to consider?

8. I assume am fine for weights and towing in general or is it borderline with the 36DS? Would tow probably a 14-20ft enclosed with UTV and some gear. I assume still does fine with this up the steeper grades? No weird speed limiting or torque limiting they might be doing, right?

9. True King bed or smaller "RV King"? Any issues with slides in to get to bed or don't have to fold it or similar, right.

For the record, I don't have a 2021 36DS in my area to look at but have looked at some of the others. Just don't trust dealer sales people much either to ask these questions. I do realize in terms of space, etc. I am downgrading and paying a lot to do so but hoping this setup makes the driving a bit more relaxing for me, wife, and couple small dogs and being a bit shorter when not needing to drag the trailer along will hopefully be worth it.

Thanks for ANY input!!!
Seems like you would be happier with the two way fridge instead of the residential since it’s just the two of you. We boondock a lot and can get plenty of food in the fridge and ours is smaller than the I5s.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:

Thanks for ANY input!!!
#3: When looking at the Isata 36DS I discovered that moving my 6'3" frame from the driver's seat into the coach was way to difficult for me. So we looked at the Force, purchased it and have never looked back. Love the Force. Has everything we need and is very easy to drive. Good luck.
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
1. THe only issue would be wiring harness. We harness everything and the 36 was not designed for the explorer package. Mainly because of weight. It is a weight gain when you include the dual pane windows. 4x4, with Xplorer is likely a no go, but we may entertain without one of those items.

2. Well, yes, it is on the inverter, but it is a whole house inverter/charger. Soooo I'm not sure what you mean here. 100% can run off the batteries. If that is what you mean by Class A, then consider it already done.

3. Our cab cut out is actually wide than any other OEM on this platform. The issue is not the cab cut out, but how low the seats sit. Nothing we can do about that.

4. Everything is usable. My dog roams, but she is pretty little. Dogs roam wherever they have space, whatever that space is. Most times, they just shift positions and go back to napping. Everything is usable with the slides in. Is it like the slides out? no way, but you can get to the bathroom.

7. downside is weight. The 4x4 adds over 300 lbs of weight which is 300 lbs deducted from the CCC

8. Lets put it this way. That engine, is the EXACT same Cummins ISB that is being put in the S2RV (think Seneca, Accolade, Valencia) at a much lower weight. From my experience (now this was in the 28SS and 30FW) there was power to spare and I think I actually clocked 0-60 times.

9. King enough. it is 72x78. A true King would be 72x80. RV king is only 74" I think...though that varies. Some are 75.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #5

Thanks everyone ... keep the input coming please ...

I am considered the Force and DX3 to access the back much more easily, but just not sure can ultimately justify the extra cost. Even at 5'9 and from the passenger seat it was very awkward trying to get to back even not moving. If were full timers or circling the country would certainly go that route so perhaps will be the next one. Still considering though ...

For the fridge, I really do like the electric as zero issues once made the large investment in the big solar system, etc. Gets cold quick and stays much colder here in AZ on hot trips. Friends in our camping group fight issues with their dual mode powered fridges all the time. Not sure if there has been resolution to getting OEMs to service the electric fridges inside a coach as I believe that is why they took them out of toy haulers that tried switching to them like mine. I had to replace a missing door seal on mine when new as Samsung refused warranty when learned was in a trailer and RV dealer was apparently not trained to service these so I just bought the $20 seal and did it myself So weird that cant get electric anymore on toy haulers, but now the default on moho versions. Lots of boondocking Class C and A's in the Southwest for sure and lots of toyhaulers hooked up in RV parks too so either way its conflicting. I am glad there is an option for the dual mode to consider, just torn as now like the big electric fridge as we do week long+ trips regularly so nice to just load it up and not worry about restocking.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. THe only issue would be wiring harness. We harness everything and the 36 was not designed for the explorer package. Mainly because of weight. It is a weight gain when you include the dual pane windows. 4x4, with Xplorer is likely a no go, but we may entertain without one of those items.

2. Well, yes, it is on the inverter, but it is a whole house inverter/charger. Soooo I'm not sure what you mean here. 100% can run off the batteries. If that is what you mean by Class A, then consider it already done.

3. Our cab cut out is actually wide than any other OEM on this platform. The issue is not the cab cut out, but how low the seats sit. Nothing we can do about that.

4. Everything is usable. My dog roams, but she is pretty little. Dogs roam wherever they have space, whatever that space is. Most times, they just shift positions and go back to napping. Everything is usable with the slides in. Is it like the slides out? no way, but you can get to the bathroom.

7. downside is weight. The 4x4 adds over 300 lbs of weight which is 300 lbs deducted from the CCC

8. Lets put it this way. That engine, is the EXACT same Cummins ISB that is being put in the S2RV (think Seneca, Accolade, Valencia) at a much lower weight. From my experience (now this was in the 28SS and 30FW) there was power to spare and I think I actually clocked 0-60 times.

9. King enough. it is 72x78. A true King would be 72x80. RV king is only 74" I think...though that varies. Some are 75.
Thanks for replying! Really cool you monitor forums and regularly reply. Stuff like this is really why I pick one brand over another.

On #1, wow frankly I figured this would be a firm no as I am very familiar with how hard to change production. I would need just the solar and lithium battery setup so could eliminate the dual pane windows and all other insulation/heater items that are added. I don't need the limited edition paint scheme either. I just have to keep the 4x4. Would this be possible? Or, can you confirm there is room on the roof for the same amount of panels and a reasonable point of entry from the roof to get down to a stored lithium pack, then I could replicate this with a 3rd party installer.

On #2, I worded this one a bit unclear and got conflicting info at my dealer, so double checking. So all electrical outlets are powered from the inverter so can have the TV on, etc. without the generator running?

On #9, the default King size by most is 76 x 80. The extra 4in width really is nice, especially if tucked in a slide where cant overhang arms, etc. I added some framing to my Fuzion "RV King" since it is not in the slide with the expense of not having a narrow gap to walk around side of bed on one side. Seems minor but made a big difference and even bigger is allowed me to buy the exact same mattress I use at home so no difference in sleep at home vs. RV'ing so something to consider in future.

Again thanks for listening and replying ...
Old 06-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #7
Commercial Member

1. Well, it is a firm no today....but I know in many cases, engineering builds in, knowing that I will ask for things later that I did not today. We are offering solar and lithium already across the board....so this would just be more.

2. That is correct. 100% of the coach is inverted (other than the A/C's of course). You can watch TV, turn on the microwave, etc. All off of battery power. How long that is possible, is of course on how much you use. So mileage will vary.

9. Wellll, a California King is 72x84 and yes, King is 76x80. SO we are more of a Dynaforna King. 72x78-ish...close enough to 80" once sheets...and comforter and pillow topper is on.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Knowing what I know now…..doing what I am doing now……and after spending hundreds of nights in ours…..I would probably order WITHOUT the optional 200w solar package and just do it myself from scratch. It would be GREAT if Dynamax would install the 800w/lithium package on a 36DS for you, BUT if they won’t/can’t, I would skip it altogether. The problem you are going to run into is that the factory package is going to have 2x 100watt panels, a 30amp controller and wiring sized for 30amps max. So, go over 30amps and you’re essentially starting over anyway.

The next issue will be, where do you put the batteries? The battery tray on a 36DS isn’t going to get you much beyond 400AHr worth of battery (at least last time I saw one, maybe the 2021 battery tray is different?). 400Ah worth of lithium is pretty darn good, but since you are mentioning things like 1,000w of solar, me thinks you are wanting more than 400Ah. Personally, I am going inside with them and they are going under the bed. I can get 500Ah lined up under there in a single row of batteries and that’s under a Queen, not a King.

Quote:
Brain already said it, but I’ll say it again, we can use everything from battery power. A/Cs won’t start and even the fans in the A/C units won’t start, but everything else works just fine.

Quote:
My wife and I are both around 6’0” and it’s not super easy to get back/forth to the cab, but we make it work.

Quote:
Yes, this is the main reason why we went with a C rather than a towable. Everything is usable when the slides are in….well, I guess we can’t extend the foot rests on the sofa. Making lunch in the kitchen. Using the bathroom. Sleeping in the master bed. All possible with the slides in. On top of the random stop at a truck stop or Wal-Mart, that’s come in handy several times when it was CRAZY windy at a campground too. We’ve brought in the slides in the middle of the night and gone back to sleep.

Quote:
It’s a Class 5 truck, make no mistake about that, but it’s not horrible….for a class 5 truck. I added full air suspension on the front and Firestone helper air bags in the back to try and get some weight off the leaf packs. It’s MUCH better now and could easily be called a “nice ride”.

Quote:
We have the couch, so can’t comment on the theater seats. Personally, I would keep the couch in case you have guests. The pull-out bed from the couch is going to provide a MUCH better night of sleep than converting the dinette to a bed. Especially for an adult.

Quote:
As Brian said, weight. The thing you will fight when moving from a toy hauler to a motorhome build on a Class 5 chassis is the cargo capacity. 300# of 4x4 could easily erase 20% of your cargo capacity. I say that not knowing exactly what the CCC of a 36DS is for a 2021 model, but I bet I am in the ballpark.

Quote:
Towing you should be fine. The 2021 probably still has a 10k pound hitch installed (our does), so that’ll be your limiting factor. GVWR is 19,500 + the 10k pound hitch rating means the heaviest you SHOULD be is 29,500 and that’s under the GCWR of the Ram.

Again, the biggest juggling act will be the CCC and ESPEICALLY if you are towing a trailer because now you’ll have to subtract the tongue weight from the CCC.

Quote:
Sorry, our floor plan has a queen, but it’s basically and RV Queen….and yes, we can use it with the slide in and I believe that the 36DS is the same way. As far as I know, the 30FW is the only floorplan with the fold-up mattress to accommodate the slide.

Quote:
Ultimately, if you are already an RV’er, I don’t think you’ll have any big surprises. You already know that build quality on a RV doesn’t match build quality on your average Toyota. You already know the furnishings aren’t the same quality as the furnishing in your house. Broken record alert: I _think_ the biggest thing you’ll be surprised by when coming from a toy hauler, is the CCC. If you can get someone to chime in on what the CCC is of their 4x4 36DS and if you think you can manage with that, then I think you’ll be pretty happy. I think most Isata5 owners manage the CCC by putting as much as possible in their toad or trailer because the towing capacity is very high and the CCC is…..well…..not.

I will say this, when we were first looking at shopping for our RV and the Isata 5 made the “short list”, I was very concerned about the CCC. I asked people about it here on this forum and grilled Brian on how someone “managed” it out there in the real world. Two years and hundreds of nights later, I don’t even really think about it anymore. I’m not saying I overload the coach and completely ignore the CCC, but I AM saying that it’s just become part of the ownership experience. We put the heavy stuff in the toad and we go down the road. Am I running it overweight? Don’t know….and almost don’t care……almost.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. Well, it is a firm no today....but I know in many cases, engineering builds in, knowing that I will ask for things later that I did not today. We are offering solar and lithium already across the board....so this would just be more.

2. That is correct. 100% of the coach is inverted (other than the A/C's of course). You can watch TV, turn on the microwave, etc. All off of battery power. How long that is possible, is of course on how much you use. So mileage will vary.

9. Wellll, a California King is 72x84 and yes, King is 76x80. SO we are more of a Dynaforna King. 72x78-ish...close enough to 80" once sheets...and comforter and pillow topper is on.
Thanks, I understand. Will see if I can find one available out of state and add what I need to make it usable.

Any chance could get a roof layout to scale so know how conjested it is, some confirmation of a potential path to drop solar wires down that is hopefully similar in open space where done on the smaller models, where the lithium batteries are going, and the info on the lithium batteries themselves would greatly help? If it is routed the same as the 200W solar option that is helpful to know if could just pull a heavier gauge wire. Even just a few pics of this stuff would work. Just need some confidence I can have this added after the fact like I did on my Fuzion.

If anyone else has added big solar system please let me know.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Ultimately, if you are already an RV’er, I don’t think you’ll have any big surprises. You already know that build quality on a RV doesn’t match build quality on your average Toyota. You already know the furnishings aren’t the same quality as the furnishing in your house. Broken record alert: I _think_ the biggest thing you’ll be surprised by when coming from a toy hauler, is the CCC. If you can get someone to chime in on what the CCC is of their 4x4 36DS and if you think you can manage with that, then I think you’ll be pretty happy. I think most Isata5 owners manage the CCC by putting as much as possible in their toad or trailer because the towing capacity is very high and the CCC is…..well…..not.

I will say this, when we were first looking at shopping for our RV and the Isata 5 made the “short list”, I was very concerned about the CCC. I asked people about it here on this forum and grilled Brian on how someone “managed” it out there in the real world. Two years and hundreds of nights later, I don’t even really think about it anymore. I’m not saying I overload the coach and completely ignore the CCC, but I AM saying that it’s just become part of the ownership experience. We put the heavy stuff in the toad and we go down the road. Am I running it overweight? Don’t know….and almost don’t care……almost.
Thanks much for all the detailed info!

Good point on the small solar option. I worked with the dealer on my Fuzion purchase to install a small two panel solar system when started to not trust the info I was getting about reality with a electric fridge boondocking and had assumed they were matching it for some added battery capacity but when went to pick it up was one truck battery They dont put the batteries in prior to prepping it for the sale so did'nt know what you got if just looking even with room for three. I quickly learned the solar also (panels and controller) was not close to what I needed and one battery got me about two hours into the night LOL so did'nt even bother fighting with them as knew then needed a monster system. I now have 1000W of panels and 750aH of battery in my battery compartment that became a custom welded extension into the basement storage weighing at about 400lbs alone in big Trojan batteries ... I probably have 750 lbs in the solar system alone. I still often have to top off the batteries a little before going to bed and in the morning with generator but that is primarily to keep my batteries in good shape by not draining too low. Winter months even in AZ with mostly sun are still a little tough as solar hours/efficiency is reduced a lot so overall my setup is still just borderline. Its been a learning experience for sure so want to come in prepared this time but go lithium. Well in tune to the weight issues ... unfortunately I feel I should care on this purchase though LOL, but I too otherwise just run what I brung for now.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #11

Quote:

Any chance could get a roof layout to scale so know how conjested it is.. <snip>
(see attached) here ya' go!

Quote:
If anyone else has added big solar system please let me know.
David Johnson on the Facebook Isata 5 page has a 36DS and has done 1000W of solar on the roof, plus 660Ah of lithium batteries. He extended the battery tray to accept 2x 330Ah LiFeBlue batteries. He also optioned his rig with the dual-fuel fridge, not the residential
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Isata 36DS Roofing Plan.pdf (449.0 KB, 32 views)