Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Thanks for the respect, always nice to be respected...

Let's compared some of the quality differences between 5th Wheels, Travel trailers and Super Class C's...just for kicks and giggles...

1.) One Piece Fiberglass Roof on a All Aluminum Frame vs a Plywood Roof with a Membrane Skin on wood slats

2.) Porcelain Toilets vs Plastic Toilets I.E. If you purchased a $250,000 home and it had ALL plastic toilets, you wouldn't be a bit concerned?

3.) Super Class C Tires vs Travel Trailer Tires (Lets not even go there, 99.9% of the ones on 5th wheels and Travel Trailers I see on the road are time bombs ticking)

4.) Leather vs Cloth

5.) Vinyl Flooring vs Ceramic Tile Flooring

6.) Axles (Again don't even have to go there)

7.) Brakes? No comparison period

8.) 8000 Diesel Generator vs 4000 Gas Generator

9.) And so forth and so on....

With all due respect sir....
I agree 100%. You are talking higher grade material. I am referring to "Quality Control" during the build of the unit, where this tread started. No compromise 20k or 300k.
Sounds a bit like max corporate dollars vs customer satisfaction.
Which is why so much is made off shore.
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:53 AM   #62

Yes sir and utilizing higher quality materials equates to a higher quality controlled build due to the use of higher quality, stronger, resilient materials...

Choosing a stronger better material to build with is quality control....in itself...

Choosing a one piece fiberglas roof versus a plywood/membrane roof is quality control...

Choosing Michelin XTE2 Tires vs Chinese Maypops is quality control also...

Choosing a Corian Shower Stall vs a Plastic Shower Stall is quality control also...

I had a 5th Wheel where the plastic shower stall came loose from the wall and had to be riveted....

The tires and wheels that came on my 5th Wheel RV were replaced with Alcoa 17.5 Wheels and Load Range H Tires wheels rated at 6000# Tires at 4870# the wheel studs were changed from 1/2" to 9/16"...quality control...yes....

The Plastic Sink Spout leaked due to poor quality, so replacing that with a higher quality Stainless Sink Faucet is QUALITY control....

Don't understand where these examples would NOT apply to quality control? Maybe I am missing something...but quality control means a quality build and better quality materials....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #63
Site Team

I still think you are mixing what the product is made from with how the product is put together. Yes, is some cases starting with better material should help. But if that better material is put together poorly, then how is that better than bad material put together well?

I've seen people on here with $100K+ rigs and they have a list of issues with it that goes on for pages.

Then there are others that spend a few thousand on theirs and never have a single problem with it.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I still think you are mixing what the product is made from with how the product is put together. Yes, is some cases starting with better material should help. But if that better material is put together poorly, then how is that better than bad material put together well?

I've seen people on here with $100K+ rigs and they have a list of issues with it that goes on for pages.

Then there are others that spend a few thousand on theirs and never have a single problem with it.
X2 this is all over a 2 cent screw? I guess you can use the best of everything, and at the end it's the screw, I thing someone should look up the diffetion of QC not the same as stated, it's how the material is installed not the material itself, I guess the screw needs to get a grip, I agree.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #65

Sorry about spelling damn auto correct

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Yes sir and utilizing higher quality materials equates to a higher quality controlled build due to the use of higher quality, stronger, resilient materials...

Choosing a stronger better material to build with is quality control....in itself...

Choosing a one piece fiberglas roof versus a plywood/membrane roof is quality control...

Choosing Michelin XTE2 Tires vs Chinese Maypops is quality control also...

Choosing a Corian Shower Stall vs a Plastic Shower Stall is quality control also...

I had a 5th Wheel where the plastic shower stall came loose from the wall and had to be riveted....

The tires and wheels that came on my 5th Wheel RV were replaced with Alcoa 17.5 Wheels and Load Range H Tires wheels rated at 6000# Tires at 4870# the wheel studs were changed from 1/2" to 9/16"...quality control...yes....

The Plastic Sink Spout leaked due to poor quality, so replacing that with a higher quality Stainless Sink Faucet is QUALITY control....

Don't understand where these examples would NOT apply to quality control? Maybe I am missing something...but quality control means a quality build and better quality materials....
ABSOLUTELY NOT!
If they install all those cheap or expensive parts good or bad is
Quality Control.
If they install those higher quality
Stronger, resilient material parts incorrect, then you've got bad quality. If your on FR I'm assuming you have an RV of some sort. I'm sure you've had something go wrong with it that should not have happened.
That my fellow Camper was
BAD QUALITY (just like those little screws that started this tread).
I'm outta here. Need a camp trip for sure.
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Understood, but if you start with poor quality marginal materials it's hard to actually build with decent quality or quality control either, as we all have seen in the RV world...

And the point about spending a few thousand? and never having any issues, thats not an RV that would be towed 100,000+ miles I am sure....that is an RV where some body lives in Dallas and only goes to the lake on the weekend maybe 100 miles a year...

Just got rid of my Komfort Karry-All Toy Hauler with over 100,000 miles on it, but it had seen better days and was headed down hill quickly....thats about all one can realistically expect out of most 5th Wheels and Travel Trailers...

Probably only a handful on this whole site that has over a 100,000 miles on them....

But yes, the best materials in the world put together poorly will fail...
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #68

Oh, I forgot the rear fiberglass cap where it meets the rearward compartments. Where the cap at the lower end of the fiberglass meets the compartments, they used drill screws to screw through the steel lip of the compartment into the fiberglass. So the fiberglass cap at the compartments was separated and the hole from the drill screw in the fiberglass was wollered out. And there was no way to get up behind the fiberglass to drill into a new backing plate to pull the fiberglass and compartment lip back together. So, I had to use aluminum rivets.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #69

Good point Murray, I have used Aluminum, Steel, and Plastic Rivets as well in many applications on my RV, still have all of them and the Rivet Tools....also a Threadsert setup as well...so I should be set to keep the ole Dynamax XL together...