Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #21

No no no!!! As I said it takes VERY specific situations for this kind of thing to happen. I drove for 2 weeks after that before I got the slide locks...never happened again. This was a HUDGE storm with high winds that had trucks flipped over all over the highway. This doesn’t normally happen! Every vehicle has its limits and the slide out locks take care of this.

I will DEFIANTLY be buying another Dynamax when the time comes for a new coach. Their build quality is excellent and most everything is well thought out. Most MFG’s (I thought all) use the same slide out system, so it’s not any issue with Dynamax!

I’m very happy with my DX3 (except the drivers seat but replacing that sucker).

—john

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Looking at the video again, I am in awe that an RV design allows a slide out to tip out to that extreme while going down the road. Is this slide design used by all Dynamax motorhomes, and would some or all potentially tip out like this under the right conditions?

This looks potentially like an NHTSA reportable issue. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 08-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #22

Angie @ NIRVC does the best detailed RV videos out there.

Self-locking Slideout @ 20:00

Cool Newmar Slide System
Old 08-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #23

The video is scary. I have not experienced this with my Sunseeker 2860 dual slide MH in the 14 years I've owned it. Mechanically operated slide out mechanism, not hydraulic (not sure this makes a difference with regard to this problem). 6' slide in bedroom has 1 bottom aluminium rail centered, and 8' slide in living room has 2 bottom aluminium rails equidistant located.

My wife and passengers occasionally sit on the living room slide out recliners and we have slept on the bed on rarer occasions while the coach is in motion (ok I know that isn't the safest thing to do but).

When my slides are extended, they do extend out with the bottom leading the way, that's normal for my unit. When fully extended, the rooms are out slightly further at the bottom than the top.

If downward pressure, by hand, is placed on a partially extended slideout room from the top I can see the room flex.Found that out when I replaced my slide topper fabric last year.

We have been caught driving in some terrible weather and sought shelter as soon as could be done safely. After watching this video, I'll be even more aware and cautious.

I am concerned about using slideout locks on my unit. Not sure if my unit is designed for any pressures that could possibly be exerted around the sidewall openings and since this hasn't happened to us in 14 years I would not take the risk. Theres no mention of using slideout locks in my manual either. The manual does caution against driving in high winds, no kidding.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 08-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #24
Commercial Member

We use both styles of slide system and they all have their pros and cons.

We use both the power gear below floor slide out and the power gear "slim rack" which is the 4 point in-wall.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 08-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #25

JohnDJMix, I'm curious to know if you travel with your bathroom vent open and if you had it open when this happened. Do you think that would make a difference in keeping the pressure consistent on the inside and out?

Regardless, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
No no no!!! As I said it takes VERY specific situations for this kind of thing to happen. I drove for 2 weeks after that before I got the slide locks...never happened again. This was a HUDGE storm with high winds that had trucks flipped over all over the highway. This doesn’t normally happen! Every vehicle has its limits and the slide out locks take care of this.

I will DEFIANTLY be buying another Dynamax when the time comes for a new coach. Their build quality is excellent and most everything is well thought out. Most MFG’s (I thought all) use the same slide out system, so it’s not any issue with Dynamax!

I’m very happy with my DX3 (except the drivers seat but replacing that sucker).

—john
lol... welcome to the internet

I certainly appreciate what you were attempting. In 16 years of doing this, I know that "where there is a will there is way".

Early in my career, we shipped slide locks with everything we built. People would use them and of course they would run the slide with the lock in place and break things. And it would be the mfg's fault for not clearly telling them (even though we did) or putting a disclaimer (even though we had one). Eventually the need for them seemed to be less as slides were built with brakes and frankly people still felt like it was the OEM's fault when they damaged by forgetting to remove them so it was a no-win.

At one time there was a lino that asked you to only glue the perimeter. However, with the right cross winds, if you rolled down the window the lino would "rise up" like a balloon.

A person took a video and said "it shouldn't do this"
and I would say, "well you need let the "air escape. Did you open a roof vent?"
"No"
"Open a roof vent"
"the floor didn't raise up"
"OK, that's good...science works"
"But that means the floor is not glued down, It should be glued down so it does not do this. I should be able to travel with my window open and not have to open a roof vent"

Old 08-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #27

I bought the steering wheel reminders that are priceless because everyone will get busy morning to get on the road and you’ve got to remember each of the areas you can even label your own items on them as well Camco RV Steering Wheel Check Bands. Camco RV Steering Wheel Check Bands about $16 - Pre-Labeled and Customizable Important Task Reminders to Place on Your RV Steering Wheel So You Won't Forget |Excellent for Camping and Traveling - (53098) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2443VW..._4cWjFb0K8C3A9
They’re about a half inch wide, about 12 inches long, and they just snap around your steering wheel for “levelers”, “for slide outs locking“ for “turning off gas” for disconnecting sewer plumbing, all the simple little task that we have to do each and every time we stop or start the RV on its next journey!
Old 08-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Burry View Post
I bought the steering wheel reminders that are priceless because everyone will get busy morning to get on the road and you’ve got to remember each of the areas you can even label your own items on them as well Camco RV Steering Wheel Check Bands. Camco RV Steering Wheel Check Bands about $16 - Pre-Labeled and Customizable Important Task Reminders to Place on Your RV Steering Wheel So You Won't Forget |Excellent for Camping and Traveling - (53098) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2443VW..._4cWjFb0K8C3A9
They’re about a half inch wide, about 12 inches long, and they just snap around your steering wheel for “levelers”, “for slide outs locking“ for “turning off gas” for disconnecting sewer plumbing, all the simple little task that we have to do each and every time we stop or start the RV on its next journey!
All you have to do is remember to use them.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #29

My fiver has hydraulic slides which do tip if they didn't they wouldn't work as they are level with floor when extended. I can push the top out when they are closed but they are quite heavy I have never seen them tip out even when making a hard turn. But I guess they could. Maybe they could put straps at the top so you could attach them to the other side which would make them visible maybe a bright color would help remind people to unlatch them before opening.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
Old 08-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
Maybe they could put straps at the top so you could attach them to the other side which would make them visible maybe a bright color would help remind people to unlatch them before opening.
Maybe they could just provide these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DD1FCF1D-BDFF-4DD2-A70F-C2B5ED423866.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	525.7 KB
ID:	235458

Bruce
Old 08-02-2020, 11:22 PM   #31

What I’m going to do is put an electrical key switch, 2 actually in series connected to the slide control. I will attach the keys to the slide locks, so you can’t open the slide unless the locks are right there at the control panel.

—john
Old 08-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #32

So many things to remember When setting up, there would be more chance for damage if not removed when opening the slide than this particular incident, I did forget to remove the lock once, I heard the wall crack, no visible damage, that was the last time I used the locks, but I do still carry them, if there is high winds not a bad idea, thanks for the info
Old 08-03-2020, 06:01 AM   #33

Best comment so far and will stand the test of time ?

BCLEMONS ^^
Old 08-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Maybe they could just provide these:

Attachment 235458

Bruce

I have one of these that I hang from my antenna crank when it’s up.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #35

I just don't understand why someone would open a window on the same side that a high crosswind is coming from while driving down the road.
That is asking for an issue.

I have driven our DX3 in 60+ gusting crosswinds and have had zero issues rather than maintaining the vehicle in center of my lane along with several semi trucks having the same issue of maintaining center of lane travel.
The DX3, Force, and Dynaquest vehicles are very capable vehicles

This situation that the OP showed is primarily due to driver error.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
I just don't understand why someone would open a window on the same side that a high crosswind is coming from while driving down the road.
That is asking for an issue.

I have driven our DX3 in 60+ gusting crosswinds and have had zero issues rather than maintaining the vehicle in center of my lane along with several semi trucks having the same issue of maintaining center of lane travel.
The DX3, Force, and Dynaquest vehicles are very capable vehicles

This situation that the OP showed is primarily due to driver error.

Just my opinion.

Glad I'm not the only only one that's first question was why would you open a window in these conditions.

Makes for a cool video though so props there.

The slide motors running out on me unexpectedly was a much more concerning situation. Slide locks would've only made that even more of a debacle. No thanks in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #37
Commercial Member

In the OP's defense, I see the point they were trying to make...problem is, most people don't bother to read, they just watch the video and then grab their pitch fork and torch...scorched earth!

Old 08-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #38

FYI, im taking the video down to add a copyright....turns out a few slideout lock MFG's are interested in licensing my footage $$$.

I first opened the window because...well, i like my window partially open! We are all outdoors people, i hate not having fresh air.

When i saw the issue happening, i stopped, started recording, then opened the window to showcase the issue. After that of course i kept that sucker closed.

The point of this thread that a lot of people are missing is simply to use slideout locks. For less than $70 its a non issue should you encounter high winds.

--John
Old 08-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #39

I do appreciate you sharing the video.

I'll will be asking my Service Manager if using the locks on my unit is advised. Even if it is, it's one more thing to remember to do, and, well, if I forget to remove them before extending my slides I dont want to have pay for that repair.

My manual does say to open a vent to avoid water leaks due to negative air pressure.

Never had that problem or the video scare in 14 years.

Chris
Old 08-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
FYI, im taking the video down to add a copyright....turns out a few slideout lock MFG's are interested in licensing my footage $$$.

I first opened the window because...well, i like my window partially open! We are all outdoors people, i hate not having fresh air.

When i saw the issue happening, i stopped, started recording, then opened the window to showcase the issue. After that of course i kept that sucker closed.

The point of this thread that a lot of people are missing is simply to use slideout locks. For less than $70 its a non issue should you encounter high winds.

--John
It's also a non issue if in high winds you leave the window closed. Or, I would suggest trying that with a roof vent open to equalize the pressure.

Closed Thread

Tags
lock, slide, slide out