Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #41

That much movement and no damage ? Ain't buying. the video that is.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #42

Seriously??? You think this is a fake video?!

If you would like to come see my unit and ill show you there is no damage....you buy the beers.

--John

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
That much movement and no damage ? Ain't buying. the video that is.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #43
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Only had one camper that came with slide locks. It was a 2011 and have never seen them since . Probably due to a lot of folks forgetting to remove before extending slides. I have never had an issue with any of my campers. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 08-03-2020, 04:05 PM   #44
TRN

Thanks for posting!
Old 08-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
No no no!!! As I said it takes VERY specific situations for this kind of thing to happen. I drove for 2 weeks after that before I got the slide locks...never happened again. This was a HUDGE storm with high winds that had trucks flipped over all over the highway. This doesn’t normally happen! Every vehicle has its limits and the slide out locks take care of this.

I will DEFIANTLY be buying another Dynamax when the time comes for a new coach. Their build quality is excellent and most everything is well thought out. Most MFG’s (I thought all) use the same slide out system, so it’s not any issue with Dynamax!

I’m very happy with my DX3 (except the drivers seat but replacing that sucker).

—john
So then, if this slide tipping on the highway only takes “VERY specific situations”, you stopped it by closing the window (post 39), and bclemens later said one could just control it by keeping the driver’s window closed (post 41), why bother with slide out locks, as the thread title says “you MUST use”?

Looks like the answer is to not open the window if it’s too windy.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #46

Correct, dont open the window if its too windy, but this sounds silly..for $70 for locks why not make it fool proof? And I like my window open!

Ever get your windows tinted and they tell you "Dont open the window for 24 hours". I dont know about you but i always mess up and open it.

Basically its just not worth the chance for the $70.

--John
Old 08-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #47

I think those reasons have already been stated.

For when you forget and those 70 dollar locks cost you thousands in damage.

Or god forbid the slide operates on it's own and does the same damage.

I think we've all agreed this is an edge case and a manageable one at that. Its just starting to sound like a tired sales pitch at this point.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #48

On my Isata, the slide panel takes a key to operate it. The key is kept on a lanyard connected to the slide lock, and can not be inserted in the panel without the slide lock being removed.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #49

Video link dead
Old 08-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #50

Deleted it due to a company asking to pay me to allow them to license the video for marketing.

End result - if you can remember to remove them before trying to "slide out"....then use them, good insurance against what happned to me. That said, normally they are only necessary when an extreme storm or situation occurs to causes the slide to tilt out under wind pressure.

--John
Old 08-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #51

Quote:
Deleted it due to a company asking to pay me to allow them to license the video for marketing.

End result - if you can remember to remove them before trying to "slide out"....then use them, good insurance against what happned to me. That said, normally they are only necessary when an extreme storm or situation occurs to causes the slide to tilt out under wind pressure.

--John
Not saying or thinking it would, but could a very very hard left turn be a problem?
Old 08-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #52

No, that wouldn't do it on a sharp turn....it takes A LOT to lift that slide. I workout daily and still couldn't lift it by hand. The power of air pressure is amazing.

And for everyone whineing ...I put the video back up with my copyright notice. Here it is:

This week i did some work on the coach and double checked to be sure no damage had happened. There was none. Thanks to the way dynamax routes the hoses and wiring...tilt of the slide will not affect them.

--John
Old 08-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #53

I asked my Service Manager about slide locks.

Paraphrasing here.

90% of the units they see dont use slide locks.

He couldn't remember my slides height but said if the slideout rooms are tall, as what you might see in a slideout with a wardrobe, he could see air pressure tipping it out under extreme circumstances.

If I wanted something to lock my slides in, he suggested measuring between the top of the slideout room and the sidewall and cutting a 2x2 to use as a wedge, covering the ends with foam or carpeting.

A little aside, he said if a customers slideout mechanism fails and they manage to get the slide retracted, he tells them to cut blocks to wedge in slideout room for transport. Might want to store that little tidbit of information.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 08-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #54

I hear a lot of people against cable driven slides, but now that I have them and see how they function, full 4 point inside and out, the chances of this happening are far less likely than rack driven from the bottom. Those shwinteks are light duty and driven to failure if they bind up. So looks like each type has their drawbacks, though after seeing each and every type, I am kind of glad mine uses cables. It takes a lot of effort to move the slide with them though the motor works pretty easily to move it in and out. Funny thing is, cable driven slides are the most expensive, racks are the least expensive.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #55
Lifesylers

This is BS, you have a manafactured defect unless you were in Bermuda triangle
Old 08-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #56

slide out locks

I just purchased a 2020 Rockwood Mini Lite and it came with a slide lock.
I have used it every time we take it anywhere.
My last camper was a Kodiak with a kitchen slide. I am sure it was heavy because it had the whole kitchen in it. I never used a slide lock with that camper and never had an issue. That side used cables on the top and the bottom. I am also grateful that I had no issue because most of the time luck runs the other way.

so the moral to the story is "Lock and load and ready to go"
make it part of your routine and you will not forget it.

happy camping everyone
Old 08-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #57

Quote:
This happened on the way back from when i was picking up my DX3. There was a lot of wind, but in the DX3 of course i barely noticed it.

The wind was coming across the road from drivers side to pass side. When i opened the drivers window it created high pressure in the coach and low pressure on the pass outside of the coach causing this. It was scary!

https://youtu.be/25KxOQbR0gA

Needless to say, I kept the window closed and as soon as i got home i ordered some slide out locks!

I should add this is no fault of Dynamax, as just about any coach would do this...the slides are not secured at the top. Throw in a few slide out locks or even chunks of wood and you will never have this issue.
It says the video has been removed by the uploader.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
It says the video has been removed by the uploader.
Not the one in post #52
Old 08-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #59

Dang! I hate you deleted the video as I really wanted to see it but I understand why.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:33 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by djammons View Post
Dang! I hate you deleted the video as I really wanted to see it but I understand why.
Then look at post #52 if you want to watch the video.

Tags
lock, slide, slide out