Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Winter Battery storage in MN

1. 2019 Isata 3 24FWM Just took delivery and have to put in storage soon. (We have been able to do some driveway camping) Wondering if I should disconnect and bring in the house batteries. Will be put in indoor unheated storage 5-6 months. This is our first RV. Newbies need guidance please.

2. Our dealer said during the PDI it is important to run the Onan Generator every 30-40 days and to also run the AC. Anybody who lives in the northern half of the U.S. actually do this? (If this really needs to be done we can't pull the batteries.)

I only have two winters that I have to use indoor storage until retirement

Thank you for your help!
LaWR - LongAndWindingRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

Read the OM, will probably tell you to put a good load on the generator to get it up to normal operating temps, then turn off the loads and let the gen run for a few minutes to cool down. It is a good idea to do this. If possible, I try and exercise all the major systems such as drive the rig, run the slides in and out, raise and lower the jacks. Not when super cold but when "reasonable" temps exist. If too cold, more harm then good will come from using this process. Enjoy
Old 10-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #3

A fully charged 12v battery will last all winter just sitting out in cold temperatures but only if it is completely disconnected. Pull (or switch) the Negative connector. No need to remove from the equipment, just disconnect.

Gasoline engines can sit 5 months easily if their fuel is stabilized (Stabil is one brand name). I run generators (and outboards and lawn equipment) completely out of fuel before they hibernate. If you start a stored engine be sure to run it until completely warmed up. A couple cycles of the radiator fan is a common practice.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

When the rig is in storage, are you able to plug it in? If so, I suggest leaving the batteries in and your charger will maintain them on float. A fully charged battery won't freeze. If you can't leave it plugged in, then make sure they are fully charged when you put it away then disconnect the negative lead.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

I am from Minnesota and leave my batteries in all winter long in outdoor storage. I installed a battery disconnect on the house batteries that does a total disconnect. Once a month I go to check on the RV while in storage and run both the engine and generator. At the end of winter my house batteries are usually at about 12.75 volts.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

We keep our mh at open storage lot from April - November before heading south. During this time I keep batteries charged with 200 w solar panel set behind the windshield. I got the idea from a guy with a Discovery who kept his unit there over the winter. He parked with his unit facing south ( more solar exposure?) and ran two solar panels one for the coach batteries and one for chassis battery.
If you did this you could leave batteries in the unit and not have to install/ uninstall when you wanted to exercise the generator . I put clamp type leads ( like battery chargers ) on the controller leads running to coach batteries to make life easier.
Just be sure to get a good charge controller- PWM or MPPT types not just simple on off versions
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
A fully charged 12v battery will last all winter just sitting out in cold temperatures but only if it is completely disconnected. Pull (or switch) the Negative connector. No need to remove from the equipment, just disconnect.

Gasoline engines can sit 5 months easily if their fuel is stabilized (Stabil is one brand name). I run generators (and outboards and lawn equipment) completely out of fuel before they hibernate. If you start a stored engine be sure to run it until completely warmed up. A couple cycles of the radiator fan is a common practice.

-- Chuck
So our coach has a "Battery Disconnect" switch on the control panel upon entering the house door. Is that the same as manually pulling the Negative connector. Can we just simply hit that button if we leave the batteries in for the winter?

Also, our generator is LP powered. Since we will be in cold, indoor dead storage and unable to run/exercise it during that time, after some more reading, sounds like we just need to make sure we turn the propane valve to off.
LaWR - LongAndWindingRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWR - LongAndWindingRoad View Post
So our coach has a "Battery Disconnect" switch on the control panel upon entering the house door. Is that the same as manually pulling the Negative connector. Can we just simply hit that button if we leave the batteries in for the winter?

Also, our generator is LP powered. Since we will be in cold, indoor dead storage and unable to run/exercise it during that time, after some more reading, sounds like we just need to make sure we turn the propane valve to off.
The battery disconnect installed in the RV does not disconnect the
LP leak detector and possibly some other things. You need to disconnect the negative cable on the batteries or install a total disconnect switch to prevent the batteries from draining while in storage.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky55616 View Post
The battery disconnect installed in the RV does not disconnect the
LP leak detector and possibly some other things. You need to disconnect the negative cable on the batteries or install a total disconnect switch to prevent the batteries from draining while in storage.
X2 ^^^

What he said. we have our rig in an enclosed garage with electricity. However, the electricity went out, tripped the GFI in the storage, we didn't check on it..... so now I need a new battery and this time we're putting a disconnect switch on both the house battery and the engine battery. Expensive lesson, but we'll be set for winter camping down here in the south.

I'm not certain about how the cold will affect that battery. You probably need to check the specs on the battery. Most manufacturers have online info.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #10

Hi LW....we have 2016 I-3 FW, we were south the first winter, so no storage. Last year we stored for 4 months, disconnected the negative cable to house battery, did not start gen(ours is propane) & didn’t have any problems with coach starting. We are also in Mn. BTW I think there is a disconnect switch in the cab of the rig for the engine batteries if you so desire.
ACMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #11

I start the RV once a month in winter and run it for 15 to 20 mins plus I run the generator for about the same time to bring up the house batteries. Works fine but then the winters here are very mild, not often below zero centigrade. I do have a small solar panel on the dash and connected to chassis battery for trickle charge.
fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, storage, winter