Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Winter camping

I have a class c with the 3.0 Diesel and the diesel generator. Has anybody experienced any problems camping -10 to -20 degrees? I do have it winterized. We were out on New Years and it got down to 14 degrees. No problems. We are looking to go up to the High country ( we live in Denver ). It can easily reach -20. Coach performance? Stay warm enough? Thanks for the info
Jellisonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Not knowing the Mfg of your rig this is a general statement about RVs and winter camping. With the rig winterized the plumbing should not be a problem what you choose to do with the holding tanks is a different situation. to answer your question the furnace will keep the rig warm you will have to monitor battery condition and ensure it is at 100% prior to turning in for the night.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
Site Team

The OP has a 2019 Dynamax Isata 3 class c.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #4
Commercial Member

That cold...the windows will have about 1/2" of frost on them. The furnace is oversized for that coach...but 20 below? You might just be losing heat as fast as you create it.

Any coach I have spend serious cold weather in, had dual pane windows. Even then they were frosted.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #5

I've got a DX3 so can only advise anecdotally but we camp at Breck almost every year (headed there now). Things go pretty well down to about 0 but then it starts to get interesting.

Statements like "warm enough" start to have different meanings for different people. You're not going to keep it at 68 most likely. That said with the right clothes, ample blankets and a plug in space heater we make it work well enough to keep wanting to do it.

One things for sure, cold that cold will quickly highlight the areas that need improvement.

If you're up for adventure I'd say may as well try. If you want a peaceful vacation, a vrbo may be a better bet.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #6

We have a 2018 DX3 37TS. The wife made an insulated curtain that closes off the cab area from the living area. That helps the cab stay warm going down the road if no one is in back and reduces the sq. ft. you need to heat when set up for the night. We also have a roll up rug for the living room that covers most of the floor we use when its cold. The ceramic tile is like ice cubes even with the furnace running so this keeps out some of the cold and keeps your feet from freezing when bare foot. We also have the theater option with the fireplace under the counter top. If we have a power hookup we run that as it will keep the living area toasty warm. Run the furnace using the diesel burner even if you have a power hookup as the Aquahot electric burner by itself cannot keep up with the demand for heat.

Some of the folks have added an additional heat exchanger and thermostat to the Aquahot system that is dedicated to the wet bay. Probably advisable to do that or add a small electric heater to the wet bay if you're going to camp in extreme cold.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter