Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

winterization

Is it best to leave residential refrigerator going during winter storage? Or should I disconnect at circuit breaker? Basically, will it hurt anything to disconnect or help it leave it one. Temps get cold here in SD in winter. Sometimes minus temps. Unit is in shed, plugged into shore power, but shed is unheated.
RickRene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRene View Post
Is it best to leave residential refrigerator going during winter storage? Or should I disconnect at circuit breaker? Basically, will it hurt anything to disconnect or help it leave it one. Temps get cold here in SD in winter. Sometimes minus temps. Unit is in shed, plugged into shore power, but shed is unheated.
Fridges, and really compressors in general, are not meant to be run below freezing. If you're not going to climate control the fridge, I'd recommend turning the breaker off and propping the door open to eliminate any condensation.

(That's what I do when storing over the winter)
Old 10-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Fridges, and really compressors in general, are not meant to be run below freezing. If you're not going to climate control the fridge, I'd recommend turning the breaker off and propping the door open to eliminate any condensation.

(That's what I do when storing over the winter)
X2
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #4

I winterize with by blowing out the water lines with compressed air. I let the ice maker go thru a cycle to be sure to clear any water out of the line.
Leave the doors open

I'm in Iowa so it gets cold in the winter. No problems.

Tags
winter