Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #21

wfo9 hope you hang around even if you dont have a Dynamax. Feel free to post a pic of your rig on my thread. Also what color cabinets do you have?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #22

Looks like ya got it figured out but here’s my take anyways,

I have had plans to install a valve and pickup tube like they’re doing now but after two winters of using a sump pump in a 5 gal bucket at the city water connection I don’t think I’ll bother. It’s just too simple and easy.

I don’t bother with air, just open the low points and faucets and drain as much as possible. Then pump through like any other water hookup.

To empty the tank/protect the pump I raise the jacks on the passenger side to get as much water to the take up as possible then pump out the tank via the low points. Not only does this empty the tank but it clears the line to the pump mostly. By the time you level back up all the water flows innocently into the bottom of the tank. My pump has survived two Wisconsin winters doing this.

Start with the kitchen as that’s the longest run. Then all the bathroom fixtures, then the washer and dryer and finally the outside shower. I never opened the ice maker valve so don’t mess with the fridge but don’t forget that if you use it.

I don’t recommend putting anti freeze in the tank because it’s just kind of a pain to get out. I usually end up flushing 200 gal (100 of which is treated with bleach) to really get rid of the residual. Some times more. You’ll probably find it takes a few more fill/flush cycles to get the tank cleaned I’m guessing
Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #23

4Whl... Thats pretty much what I did but it was not getting antifreeze through the water filter and through the other side of the filter. That was worrying me so thats when the stupid idea of putting it in the fresh tank came up. Bad idea and won't do that again. But I did have to go to the FWT pump which is under the washer dryer closet and thats where I found the extra hose to use. As soon as I did that and cut the FWT pump on, it went through the water filter and onto the other side.

Did I do something wrong for it not to pass through the filter using the pump from the fresh water inlet from the outside?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #24

Not sure how yours is plumbed but on mine the city water line taps in just after the pump and then the line (from both) goes through the filter. I’d start tracing your lines (it can be confusing as hell at first but with some persistence you’ll get it) even if just for the knowledge of how it’s put together. That will probably answer what was going on at the same time.

With having the pickup and valve you may as well just use that. I’d just be sure to add opening the plug and back feeding the city hose reel with anti freeze to the list.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
With having the pickup and valve you may as well just use that. I’d just be sure to add opening the plug and back feeding the city hose reel with anti freeze to the list.
Just got through winterizing our DX3 for the first time. It was way easier than I thought it would be...fear of the unknown I guess. I’ve got the winterization valve and section of hose between the pump and the FW tank, so I used that. Everything worked great, but my question is related to your last point above - how do I backfill the city hose reel using this method? Where is this ‘plug’? I thought it might have been as simple as opening the FW fill valve, but all that did was start dumping antifreeze into the FW tank.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #26

After thinking about this, I’m guessing that you’re referring to the cap at the end of the hose reel. I removed that prior to opening the fill valve, but it did not create a demand on the pump. I’ll try it again, but there seems to be a one way check valve inline before the hose reel plumbing ties into the main supply line preventing water from flowing down the hose reel when being supplied by the pump.

Tags
winter