Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

Winterizing Isata 5

Well our last trip of the year is behind us. After 12,000 miles this summer it's time to winterize the Isata 5.

I've searched through previous posts regarding winterizing and none are specific to the Isata 5 model.

Anyone have a check list to winterize?

I've emptied the fresh water tank, both the black and grey water tanks, removed the water filter and drained all the water I could using the low level hot and cold water drains in the pluming basement control center.

I'm concerned with the city water/on board water fill port and the black water flush lines. We fill the fresh water tank through this port and back flush the black water tank every time we drain.

Last season I winterized my previous coach myself but neglected the black water flush line and if froze and sprung a leak.

I'm going to be leaving the coach plugged in all winter and the thermostats are set to 60°

I was planning to have my local dealer winterize the coach but for some reason, they will not call me back to set up an appointment (I guess they are too busy) and I don't want to take it to Camping World.

Do most people pressurize the system with anti-freeze or blow out the water with compressed air?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #2

My DX3 lives in Wisconsin. I went with anti freeze to be safe. Pressurized from the city water inlet as I dont have an andersen valve. FWIW I didn't bother with the black flush as it seems to always backflow when I'm done (clean water I know there's a check valve in there somewhere). Guess we'll see in the spring on that one...
Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

I just blow out all my lines with low-pressure air--say 30 psi or less. I made a fitting that I screw in to my city water connection and attach an air hose to it. I don't like putting antifreeze in the water lines. However, I do put a little antifreeze in the gray and black holding tanks.

Were you able to get all the water out of your fresh water tank? I haven't been able to get the last inch or so out. I've been told not to worry if it freezes but...
Stroker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker09 View Post
I just blow out all my lines with low-pressure air--say 30 psi or less. I made a fitting that I screw in to my city water connection and attach an air hose to it. I don't like putting antifreeze in the water lines. However, I do put a little antifreeze in the gray and black holding tanks.

Were you able to get all the water out of your fresh water tank? I haven't been able to get the last inch or so out. I've been told not to worry if it freezes but...
I ended up taking the rig to a dealer today and they winterized it for me. They used anti-freeze throughout the system.

I left the lowe point valves and the fresh water tank drain line open as I drove to the dealer and pretty much all the water was expelled from the fresh tank.
Go Gators
Old 12-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #5

I am curious, what did you guys pay for winterizing? I store in a heated garage, but considered winterizing because I had to take it in for service two weeks ago and it was really cold.

I am not sure what to do in the spring, do you pay the dealer to clean out the antifreeze and clear the lines?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I am curious, what did you guys pay for winterizing? I store in a heated garage, but considered winterizing because I had to take it in for service two weeks ago and it was really cold.

I am not sure what to do in the spring, do you pay the dealer to clean out the antifreeze and clear the lines?
They charged me $ 130.00, they used about 5 gallons of Anti freeze and they told me all I had to do was to hook up to a water supply next season and flush out the system for about 5 minutes and I should be good to go. I need to ask them about the ice maker water supply though, I don't know what they did there.
Go Gators
Old 12-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrzasa View Post
They charged me $ 130.00, they used about 5 gallons of Anti freeze and they told me all I had to do was to hook up to a water supply next season and flush out the system for about 5 minutes and I should be good to go. I need to ask them about the ice maker water supply though, I don't know what they did there.
Yeah, drain fresh water side as much as possible then give a real good flush. I suggest sanitizing after that with another good flush. You can do all that at home.

Some people collect the used anti freeze and save for the following winter.

Supposedly the RV antifreeze is not toxic and can be drained onto the ground. That is what I did last spring and then diluted it with water from my garden hose.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
Love my Rev

2015 Rev - took 2 gal and about 5 min.

That was last year and is very very easy for anyone to do - this year found a easier way without any anti freeze or blowing out lines - went to Florida late in fall so just left it there ? lol
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32409 View Post
That was last year and is very very easy for anyone to do - this year found a easier way without any anti freeze or blowing out lines - went to Florida late in fall so just left it there ? lol
Leaving it in Florida is cheating.

Some areas of Florida can get a freeze so you might have an unpleasant surprise, hopefully not.

I went to college in Miami and late one December the temp dropped down to 29º for a couple of nights and the daytime temp was also cold. I was so cold I flew back to Philly to warm up. 60 something when I got off the plane.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter