Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 11:23 PM   #1

Wireless trailer camera recommendations

I was hoping to get some real world recommendations on wireless camera systems people have used behind their dx3 , my trailer is 34 ft behind my 37 foot dx3 so I looking to find something that will work on this long distance - thanks in advance for your thoughts and info
Old 12-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #2

I added a wireless camera to our 22' enclosed trailer. I used the Garmin RV760 GPS with the backup camera. You can get it as one set. I wired the camera to the 12v battery in the trailer, mounted the sending unit to the front of the trailer at the top. I have used it on three motorhomes, no issues to date.

It looks like the most recent version camera is the BC-35 by Garmin, it works with the Garmin RV 785.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/660552#accessories
Old 12-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

So I have decided to try the system I run with my slightly shorter trailer that has served me pretty well( I was hoping to see some options from others ) I am going to try to use my 4ucam set up and I will report back - as an FYI I have used this with my 26ft trailer and it has served me well - the only reason I was thinking of a different system is I have not been able to run more than. One camera o. The 4ucam system due to interference of the two cameras - since I have not had any other acceptable suggestions I am going that direction
Old 12-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #4

Sorry I couldnt help. Hope your other system works out.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

Give it a few days since you made your question so specific.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
Give it a few days since you made your question so specific.

Oh I look forward to additional input - I am leaving for our winter destination on the 26th is December so I have to have something and the system I intended to use ( xroose) system did not work like I had hoped - I agree more replies will come In And I may change directions for our travels in March - I will post all info I think useful to others
Old 12-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #7

I don't have your length so can't comment on that but I use a haloview MC7108 and the manual shows it being installed on a semi so it might be an option. It will accept 4 cameras.

https://www.haloview.com/pdf/Halovie...ser_Manual.pdf

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 12-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
I don't have your length so can't comment on that but I use a haloview MC7108 and the manual shows it being installed on a semi so it might be an option. It will accept 4 cameras.

https://www.haloview.com/pdf/Halovie...ser_Manual.pdf

We are 37 foot dx3 with a 34 ft trailer length for the trailer - so I estimate- 60 ft distance between devices - what are you r lengths if you would be so kind and how do you like the system and it’s reliability??
Old 12-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #9

Hi!

I don't really use the rear camera to back up. I mainly use it to see if there is a car riding in the slip stream of the trailer, which if they are cannot be seen in the mirrors.

Because of that I cheaped out and bought a bay monitor system which works without issues on my Wildcat 32RL. The camera is installed on the rear window and the distance is about 42 feet more of less.

I needed 12 volt so I installed a dual 12 volt accessory plug beside the stereo, which made it easy to get a 12 vdc supply. It works pretty well but is angle sensitive to get a good image. It's been a while since I installed it but I paid under US $75.00.
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
We are 37 foot dx3 with a 34 ft trailer length for the trailer - so I estimate- 60 ft distance between devices - what are you r lengths if you would be so kind and how do you like the system and it’s reliability??
I'm not even in your league so I couldn't comment on its functionality for you since I have a 27' travel trailer and F150. for about 40' distance, it works very well. I was just pointing out in the manual it shows installation on a semi and they can be 60'-80' in length.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 12-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #11

Haloview recommends four of their systems for lengths over 33 feet. You're pushing 75 feet (37+34=71 + the length of the hitch).
https://www.haloview.com/products/wi...icle_length=44

Even the least expensive of these systems has a 7" screen with hi-def specs, claimed (with no barriers) range of 1200ft., video recording, split screen capability (for adding additional cameras), double the brightness level and four times the IR LED's (for night vision) of the 7108 that most of us use. One of the nice things about Haloview is that all components of the system are available individually so you can add or replace any item if desired/needed.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Haloview RD7 system is specifically for long rigs greater than 33 feet. The key to that solution is a small remote transmitter that replaces the usual small pencil stick style antennas that you find on most rear camera setups. Haloview RD7 ships their 8109 Monitor with an upgraded CA13 12 IR camera and a 12 meter cable that is used to mount the remote transmitter up towards the front of your rig. Basically this puts your rear camera's antennae as much as 39ft closer to your monitor in the tow vehicle. Search youtube for Haloview RDZ to see more info.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #13

I have a Garmin which I installed a year ago. Still doesn't work reliably. I'm pretty sure I followed the installation instructions, but those instructions also said my 29 ft. trailer and long-bed truck put me at marginal distance for good operation.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #14

Quote:
I was hoping to get some real world recommendations on wireless camera systems people have used behind their dx3 , my trailer is 34 ft behind my 37 foot dx3 so I looking to find something that will work on this long distance - thanks in advance for your thoughts and info
I had a RearViewSafety digital system with 7" screen. It never worked well in spite of them sending me remote gain antennas for the camera and display. Those were a major nuisance as was setting up the 7" screen for 10 minutes use (no place to mount it permanently). Part of the problem was surely that my 5er has a tall front bedroom so the line-of-sight signal had to penetrate much of the 5er.

The camera systems on the new trucks was part of the reason for a truck upgrade recently. The trailer rear camera is wired but works amazingly well. It uses the built-in display, of course. I have two cameras, one on the back of the 5er and one showing a close-up of the 5er hitch and looking back into the pinbox nose (and I can see that I remembered to open the jaws).

The best feature of the new camera system is a view looking backward from the tow mirror past the truck bed and 5er. No more blind spot, no more crooking my neck trying to center that area in one of the tow mirror sections. These cameras come on automatically when I hit the turn signal.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #15
Retired Member

Quote:
Put Furrion S wireless camera on my 5th wheel this past summer. About 60 feet from camera to display in truck. No problems so far.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #16
KSH

Just ordered the new haloview mc7109, I'll update once it's installed.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksh2 View Post
Just ordered the new haloview mc7109, I'll update once it's installed.

I look forward to your real world install and usage thoughts - thank you for participating!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #18

I ended up just using 4ucam I have used in the past - works good - I was hoping to upgrade but multiple camera systems don’t seem to work due to interference between the cameras
Old 01-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #19
KSH

Still haven't installed, Mount on trailer wasn't furrion, then had a water leak and trailer is in the shop.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Still haven't installed, Mount on trailer wasn't furrion, then had a water leak and trailer is in the shop.
Does the 7109 look like it might fit better than the 7108 on a prewired furrion bracket? I know some said 7108 doesn’t quite clear the cover correctly. Trying to decide what one to order, but seems you are the only one who has ordered a 7109.

Also I see they advertise it as having backup grid lines on the display. Have you had a chance to plug it in to see how they look?
El_walto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, trailer