Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Wiring advice

I'm installing a new Power Cord 'powered' reel. I bought an inline fuse (20amp) and a 20amp circuit breaker. First I install a short piece of red wire to the positive terminal on the battery that has another small wire (supply from the solar I think). Here I attach an inline 20amp fuse to protect the long wire from fraying and such? Then from that fuse I run the red wire all the way across the coach to the cargo bay where I've installed my reel. There on the bulkhead I install the 12v 20amp circuit breaker. Red wire from battery in (does it matter which terminal?) and on the other side the red wire from the motor switch. Then I take the black wire from the motor switch and attach it to the frame with one of the screws holding the plastic tub in the bay. I presume this screw goes into the steel frame. That should do it?

What gauge red wire for the very long run, 12 - 15 feet or so? 10 gauge? 12 gauge?

Thanks, not an Electrician Mate.

Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
What exactly are you doing? Hard to follow your post as I see solar supply and wires to run the motor.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
What exactly are you doing? Hard to follow your post as I see solar supply and wires to run the motor.
I have 4 batteries in my battery bay all hooked together. One the far ends there are two small wires a black and a red. I presume that they are attached to the terminals where you'd want to attach an accessory? I think that they come from the solar system but it's nothing to do with what I'm doing other than I'm asking which of the 8 terminals do I attach my Red wire? My guess is I would use that same positive post that the red wire from the solar is using?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #4

Couple of thoughts ...

Having protection at both ends of the wire seems a bit overkill. Especially since a lot of times a fuse will trip quicker than a breaker during a fault. What’s your thinking on the breaker?

Personally I’d look to see if you’ve got a wire on the harness that might be used first (but that may be more trouble than it’s worth). I’d also check your 12V fuse block to see if there’s an opening you can commandeer as that’ll save another wire off the battery (just a cleanliness sort of preference)

12 GA should be OK. Do you know what the actual draw on the reel is under normal operations?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Couple of thoughts ...

Having protection at both ends of the wire seems a bit overkill. Especially since a lot of times a fuse will trip quicker than a breaker during a fault. What’s your thinking on the breaker?

Personally I’d look to see if you’ve got a wire on the harness that might be used first (but that may be more trouble than it’s worth). I’d also check your 12V fuse block to see if there’s an opening you can commandeer as that’ll save another wire off the battery (just a cleanliness sort of preference)

12 GA should be OK. Do you know what the actual draw on the reel is under
normal operations?
https://rvpower.southwire.com/wp-con...-Sheet-DSG.pdf

The instructions call for the reseting circuit breaker. And I thought that if the long run wire got frayed and shorted out the fuse would protect the system? Fuse close to the battery. Resetting circuit breaker close to the motor.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #6

Or If you don’t want to mess with the factory stuff maybe just start your own fuse block that you can expand off later. That way it’s just one more wire going to the battery. Sounds like you’ve got plenty planned.

Lots of good fuse blocks readily available
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...se+block&psc=1
Old 06-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Site Team

Not sure what the screw holding the tub in place is going into but since you are running 20A fuse, I would extend the black wire to a very substantial part of the frame.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
https://rvpower.southwire.com/wp-con...-Sheet-DSG.pdf

The instructions call for the reseting circuit breaker. And I thought that if the long run wire got frayed and shorted out the fuse would protect the system? Fuse close to the battery. Resetting circuit breaker close to the motor.
Where do you see that? I see number 9 that mentioned a 20A breaker protecting the feed but nothing about using a resetting breaker. If you’re going to use an auto reset breaker then I’d definitely use a fuse to protect against a fault but if that fuse isn’t sized higher I’m willing to bet the fuse will just blow. In which case you may as well just use a fuse near the battery and be done.

Now if you oversize the fuse you can avoid that but now you need to upsize the wire to be able to handle the bigger fuse.

In reality the motor is likely only pulling 6-8A so i wouldn’t expect you’re going to have much nuisance tripping with just a fuse unless the motor stalls out. In any case extra fuses should absolutely be in your kit for other applications anyways.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Where do you see that? I see number 9 that mentioned a 20A breaker protecting the feed but nothing about using a resetting breaker. If you’re going to use an auto reset breaker then I’d definitely use a fuse to protect against a fault but if that fuse isn’t sized higher I’m willing to bet the fuse will just blow. In which case you may as well just use a fuse near the battery and be done.

Now if you oversize the fuse you can avoid that but now you need to upsize the wire to be able to handle the bigger fuse.

In reality the motor is likely only pulling 6-8A so i wouldn’t expect you’re going to have much nuisance tripping with just a fuse unless the motor stalls out. In any case extra fuses should absolutely be in your kit for other applications anyways.
I think I'll call a mobile RV installer...
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
Site Team

This is a simple install of a non critical option I would tackle it myself. As mentioned you don't need a protective device on both ends of the +12V line. You can use your choice of a fuse, or breaker as close to the battery as possible then run the power wire to the power side of the switch. Run the ground wire ( black) to a good ground ( frame). If the fuse / breaker is close to the battery the worse that can happen is the reel doesn't work.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #11

Yeah sorry if was giving too much info. Was trying to explain why you can simplify and just run the fuse and wire. Fuse block would be to make your life simpler on the next one.

Definitely a simple install you should be able to handle

Tags
wiring