Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 02:06 AM   #1

Xantrex Freedom e-GEN Li3

I read that a Forest River subsidiary Coachmen, is offering the Xantrex Lithium battery pack/inverter/alternator as an option instead of a generator on the MB chassis. Is there any talk of Dynamax doing this on the Isata 3?
drbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

Jeez I hate marketing. So from the materials it looks like they’ve packaged a bunch of existing products to run a lithium battery setup and are calling it e-Gen? Boy I’m sure that won’t cause any confusion. The system replaces the need for a generator however the solar integration is optional. Guess on a class B running the motor to charge the batteries isn’t quite as wasteful as the bigger trucks. How this gets marketed as a generator replacement is beyond me though
Old 06-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Talk? yes, we've been talking about it for 2 years.

The only system that would really be a gen replacement is Volta. We have explored that...but it is very costly to do it right.

The other option that we are closer to...is just a drop in LiON battery to replace the AGM's.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #4

Lithium batteries would be pretty great but the abuse they see at dealers would scare me a bit. Particularly the whole not charging below freezing. I guess from a discharge standpoint they’d be more resilient though. Just a scary proposition to ruin one or multiple $3k+ batteries. I’m still not sure I even trust myself...
Old 06-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

Hi,

I would have a hard time making a decision on something like this without access to a spec sheet about the capacity of such a system. And so far, Google has not disclosed one to me.

Of course, cost and temperature limitations float around in my mind as concerns as well.

Just musing...

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #6

Any closer to the LiON battery to replace the AGM's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Talk? yes, we've been talking about it for 2 years.

The other option that we are closer to...is just a drop in LiON battery to replace the AGM's.
I assume this has not yet happened but did I read in a post that at least the controller your now using can be programmed or has the smarts to properly charge LiON batteries? Seems like a good first step?
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
Commercial Member

not yet...everyone is eager to sell you stuff, they are not so eager when you ask them to assure us it will work properly with the "other stuff" that it has to work with.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom