Old 10-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Xantrex mx 1800 programming/ operation

Iím looking for help/ guidance - I replaced my batteries earlier this year and the coach was without power for the better part of a day - prior to this the unit operated flawlessly and always seems to keep both coach and house batteries charged - after or so I think it might be related - the house batteries now stay charged as always but what seems like about that time the chassis batteries do not - I had someone tell me this could be the programming on the inverter charger - if you have any experience with this or helpful thoughts I would appreciate the help.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
GM

What product do you have? I don't think the 1800 has anything to do with the charger. that is an Inverter ONLY....not an Inverter/Charger.

From the manual...
"The XM 1800 is a quality inverter designed for recreational vehicle (RV)
electrical systems that have a battery charger or generator already
installed."

Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
GM

The House/Chassis batteries are charged via the BIRD (Bi-Directional Relay) if this is a Dynamax....Maybe a Force?
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 10-24-2019, 06:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The House/Chassis batteries are charged via the BIRD (Bi-Directional Relay) if this is a Dynamax....Maybe a Force?

Brian - this is a dx3 - this xantrex was not the original but a replacement that was installed before I purchased the unit - 2015 dx3 - there is no bird in this unit -believe when I communicated with you earlier this year and you indicated this unit has a ďmaybecĒ I believe is what you called it.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
GM

AH, I remember that now. But the fact still remains, the 1800 does not have a charger and so I don't think it would have any programming to control the charger...but you would have to confirm that with the manual. Since I have been here we have been using the big Xantrex Inverter/charger 3000 watts.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
AH, I remember that now. But the fact still remains, the 1800 does not have a charger and so I don't think it would have any programming to control the charger...but you would have to confirm that with the manual. Since I have been here we have been using the big Xantrex Inverter/charger 3000 watts.

Brian ,
First and foremost thank you for your reply - interestingly enough one of the options I am considering is to replace this unit with the u it you have noted the larger xantrex - I am still trying to figure out how the coach was designed to charge the chassis and house batteries so that I can chase down this problem ( the first 4 months I owned this unit this year I did not have the chassis batteries depleting - any idea what is supposed to charge the chassis and house batteries in my unit or who might be able to help me shed some light on this so I can get the charging system operating properly so I do t have to turn off the manual **** off switch to keep the unit from turning the chassis batteries off at the maybec as it senses the battery voltage is low - Iím just stumped??
Old 10-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
GM

Here is all I can find on that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5301008.000 mobac.pdf (42.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf Dynamax mobac.pdf (18.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #8

To my understanding the charger is built into the converter. Its housed in the breaker panel. Should have a green LED that flashes indicating charge.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF1945 View Post
To my understanding the charger is built into the converter. Its housed in the breaker panel. Should have a green LED that flashes indicating charge.
Correct...and it sounds like that is working. He is not having issues with the house batteries when plugged in...it appears that the chassis batteries are draining down.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #10

I'm sure he's already checked switches by the door to make sure their connected.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #11

From the mobac drawing there's no indication the charger runs through it. So, his question remains how is the charger run to the batteries. Or. I'm I miss-reading it..
Could be the mobac itself.. others have had trouble with it latching and unlatching thus running batteries down.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
GM

The MOBAC comes in two parts, an upper and a lower. The drawing is just showing the load side. But if you read the description/sell sheet....that is what it is designed to do, control batteries.

Now, back when he first had issues, he supposedly traced all the lines because he thought maybe his MOBAC was faulty. But came back and said it is functioning how it is supposed to, but I'm not sure what he tested and have no idea his level of electrical knowledge.

It was working now it is not. New batteries, but I don't know if it is chassis or house? Maybe the chassis batteries are shot? It sounds like the MOBAC is properly isolating the chassis batteries...so it appear they are connected. But then maybe the solenoid for that side of things is shot. Charge line goes in...charge line does not come out (on the chassis side). Faulty MOBAC (or Solenoid in the MOBAC)
Old 10-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #13

Thanks as always for taking the time in responding. Hopefully he will share what he finds out. Going to take some testing for sure to isolate the problem.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #14

OP check these breakers to the right of MOBAC isolator. There's two of them.Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_172315.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	217986
Old 10-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm sure he's already checked switches by the door to make sure their connected.

Yes the switches by the door operate properly - what is happening is if I do not shut off the manual switch to the ď cab ď the chassis battery switch gets turned off by the Mobac in what seems to a response to the battery voltage hitting a set point - I think it 12.6 volts - does anyone know whatís supposed to recharge the chassis batteries by design ( is it just the alternator?) I appreciate all the thoughtful help on this
Old 10-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #16

I am thinking about just putting a small battery charger on the chassis batteries that when plugged in trickle charges the chassis batteries - any thoughts on this?
Old 10-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #17

Read back a few... by design, the batteries are charged by the converter charger located in the breaker panel. The MOBAC receives that charge when plugged in to shore power and sends to batteries. When unplugged they are charged by alternator. Did you change all batteries (4) ?
Old 10-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #18

Your charger is behind this panel Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_185541.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	217989
Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Read back a few... by design, the batteries are charged by the converter charger located in the breaker panel. The MOBAC receives that charge when plugged in to shore power and sends to batteries. When unplugged they are charged by alternator. Did you change all batteries (4) ?

I changed the two chassis batteries and then put 3 batteries in place of the 2 house batteries that were there? So yes in a sense I changed all 4 - and yes the house batteries do not drain down when plugged in but the chassis batteries do - an area hearing correctly that the charger that charges the house batteries is part of the battery / breaker panel for the coach?
Old 10-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
OP check these breakers to the right of MOBAC isolator. There's two of them.Attachment 217986

I will be at the coach tomorrow - I thought I checked these long ago but Iím not sure so I will give it a look when Iím over there tomorrow