Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #1

'15 sabre 33ckts pros/cons

Good morning all,
I am looking into a 2015 33ckts. It has the features I am looking for and the price range I need to stay in. However, I'd like some feed back from anyone that has any experience with these models. Particularly the heating and cooling aspect. Its primary area of use will be throughout Texas. Not wanting to struggle on heating and cooling. Any advice is greatly appriciated. Thank you all in advance and I look forward to hearing your responses.
Lambert1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
Always Learning

I have a 2013 Sabre that we bought new in July 2012. It’s a bunkhouse, not the CKTS.

Heating and cooling are OK but you lose a ton of heat to the windows. Additionally, with sun beating on the wall, I can usually feel warmth thru the wall in the bedroom. With 2 air conditioners (13.5k in the bedroom and 15k in the living room).

Heating-wise, it does mostly OK though the rear bunkhouse could use more airflow. We augment with electric heaters to keep from running thru too much propane.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #3

So it sounds manageable for the most part. After a little research, it seems all trailers struggle a bit in extreme heat and cold. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Lambert1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert1981 View Post
So it sounds manageable for the most part. After a little research, it seems all trailers struggle a bit in extreme heat and cold. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I’d agree wholeheartedly until you get to the real expensive rigs.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #5

We had a 2013 Sabre 34REQS-6 that we factory ordered with dual pane windows and 15K AC unit among other things. AC did fine for us in the upper midwest summers but Texas heat is another story. Furnace kept us warm enough in late October and Early April but we did use the fireplace too.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #6

same model different year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert1981 View Post
Good morning all,
I am looking into a 2015 33ckts. It has the features I am looking for and the price range I need to stay in. However, I'd like some feed back from anyone that has any experience with these models. Particularly the heating and cooling aspect. Its primary area of use will be throughout Texas. Not wanting to struggle on heating and cooling. Any advice is greatly appriciated. Thank you all in advance and I look forward to hearing your responses.
We have it as the 2014. heat was fine, but the AC struggled. I had one 15,000 unit and it wasn't enough. I added a 13.5 unit in the bedroom. I haven't tried it out in the heat yet but anything over 85 degrees was hard. Camped when it was 97 it was bad. Closed shades but nothing helped. Other than that we loved the fifth wheel.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

We have the 2015 33RETS Sabre 5th Wheel. We love it!! Had one big issue right out of the gate while Florida Snowbirding. The underbelly kept dripping. Pulled off the board and Niagara Falls gushed out!! Got in touch with FR for permission to have the Mobile Rv Tech take a look at it, he checked every single nook & cranny and could not find the problem. In the basement he crawled thru to one more crawl space and found it - the hook up for the bathroom sink (pipe) connecting to the tank came apart (glue let loose) - $500 job & FR paid for it But other than that it has been very minor things that DH can do himself. And our living room AC is our 4th one - but that is Dometic fault - not FR. 4th one is the charm. We also have one in bedroom, we keep them both at 78 degrees. PERFECT!! This is our 2nd Sabre.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

We had a '13 26.5 ft RLS that had trouble staying cool in 95 degree heat. Put one of those window film kits that uses double side tape on the screen door and that big rear window. After that, the AC would actually cycle. About 10 minutes on and 8 minutes off. It was a lot more comfy!
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have the 2014 34REQS. We have the 15000 btu AC in the main living area and the 13500 btu AC in the bedroom. We struggled initially in the NC summer heat until we learned that the AV vents weren't properly taped. This was discovered and fixed at the factory rally. No issues keeping cool since. We do also have the upgraded radiant technology in the roof. For Texas heat I would say dual AC would be a must so make sure you get a unit that has that.

As for heat- I have camped in high 20's/low 30's without problems. We did have a vent not putting heat through early on but that turned out to be a pinched air duct in the bathroom preventing the heat from getting to the bedroom. That was also fixed under warranty and been nice and toasty since.

Do keep in mind that 2014 and earlier Sabre was made by Palomino with an all aluminum cage. In 2015 Sabre switched from the Palomino division to forest river and construction was changed back to a wood roof. Those of us giving our experiences on 2014 and earlier models have different construction. We likely have the same appliances and heating/cooling units though.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #10

We have a 2012 32RCTS which is a similar floor plan to the 33ckts. We also live in Texas. Does the unit you’re looking at have a 13.5k bedroom a/c? If not, you’re going to need it. Even with 2 a/c’s we always look for sites with shade to help with cooling. Our rig came with the optional fireplace. We originally thought we would remove it and replace with some sort of cabinet for storage but soon realized it does a great job in keeping the camper warm and reducing propane use during colder camping trips. A space heater would provide the same benefit for you in lieu of the fireplace.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre