Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

2016 Sabre 25 RL

We bought our Sabre in March 2016 and it is in for it's first warranty work. We are going on a month and the RV dealer is really dragging their feet.

The slide seal is leaking, the awning has no adjustment arms on it and the door rubs the awning material when it is fully extended to the point that it is hard to open the door with the awning extended, the Black Tank is spec at 42 gals but filling it with a 5 gal can it actually hold 35 gal's before it backs up in the galley sink (yep the galley sink is plumbed to the black tank), the steps barely open from rust and are bent and the frame is covered with corrosion. This is our first camper and in hind sight we should not have bought it but hind sight is 20/20.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get these repairs going. The RV dealer says the corrosion is not covered by warranty, the black tank though it is not the size advertised and I quote "is what it is", they will not replace the steps even though they barely open and are bent and the awning is also a "is what it is" deal even though the door is wearing a hole in it were it rubs.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
R Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Call forest river.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=166

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Reese View Post
We bought our Sabre in March 2016 and it is in for it's first warranty work. We are going on a month and the RV dealer is really dragging their feet.

The slide seal is leaking, the awning has no adjustment arms on it and the door rubs the awning material when it is fully extended to the point that it is hard to open the door with the awning extended, the Black Tank is spec at 42 gals but filling it with a 5 gal can it actually hold 35 gal's before it backs up in the galley sink (yep the galley sink is plumbed to the black tank), the steps barely open from rust and are bent and the frame is covered with corrosion. This is our first camper and in hind sight we should not have bought it but hind sight is 20/20.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get these repairs going. The RV dealer says the corrosion is not covered by warranty, the black tank though it is not the size advertised and I quote "is what it is", they will not replace the steps even though they barely open and are bent and the awning is also a "is what it is" deal even though the door is wearing a hole in it were it rubs.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Slide can be adjusted to help stop the leaking. Seal may just need dressing??
Awning; are you sure your not over extending it? try backing off a tad.
Looking online at your unit I cant see why it would be rubbing. Looks like plenty of room. Unless of course the installed it to low? Got any pics?
Think fr has a disclaimer about changes advertise info(black tank size)see bottom of website.http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...elID=2112#Main
Steps should be taken care of by mfg.
Sink should go to the grey tank, they need to fix that!
Again; Its from my past experience I highly recommend working with the mfg and your dealer, not just the dealer. Use honey not a bat.
Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of rv quality.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Call forest river.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=166

Slide can be adjusted to help stop the leaking. Seal may just need dressing??
Awning; are you sure your not over extending it? try backing off a tad.
Looking online at your unit I cant see why it would be rubbing. Looks like plenty of room. Unless of course the installed it to low? Got any pics?
Think fr has a disclaimer about changes advertise info(black tank size)see bottom of website.Sabre Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV
Steps should be taken care of by mfg.
Sink should go to the grey tank, they need to fix that!
Again; Its from my past experience I highly recommend working with the mfg and your dealer, not just the dealer. Use honey not a bat.
Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of rv quality.
I really appreciate your reply. I thought I was over extending the awning at first but after camping several times I had a chance to see what they were suppose to look like. The awning was mounted low by about a foot. I do not have pictures. Also the friction joints are missing on the awnings arms so there is no up and down adjusting for height. They used solid arms but still put the stickers on them explaining how to adjust them.

I read the disclaimer and that really sucks but that does explain it. To bad the Dealer couldn't explain it. The service dept for FR explained the 2016 Sabre is the only model made that has the galley draining into the black tank. The 2015 and 2017 both are plumbed to the gray water. Lucky me. So they are not changing it. That was the first problem I discovered in April and e-mailed FR about it.

The dealer is installing new seals on the slide. They were cut during installation and leak at the cuts. That is the only problem that was fixed.

I have a lot of work to do on the whole milk and honey thing. We are working with the dealer and it is time to talk more with the General Manager. We have talked with him briefly I guess it is time to get both going at the same time.

Thank you for your time.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Reese View Post

The service dept for FR explained the 2016 Sabre is the only model made that has the galley draining into the black tank. The 2015 and 2017 both are plumbed to the gray water. Lucky me. So they are not changing it.

Thank you for your time.
So you called Sabre FR (not the dealer)and they said it normal for the galley to drain into the black tank??? If so then you have no grey tank on your unit?? Is that correct?
Think I would try call FR Sabre again , talk to someone else higher up the food chain.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
So you called Sabre FR (not the dealer)and they said it normal for the galley to drain into the black tank??? If so then you have no grey tank on your unit?? Is that correct?
Think I would try call FR Sabre again , talk to someone else higher up the food chain.
No we have a gray tank also. But this is the one and only year that Sabre plumbed the galley to the Black Tank. The 2015 and earlier saber's had two grey tanks. When they designed the 2016 Sabre's they eliminated the second gray tank (Galley Grey water tank) and plumbed the galley to the black water tank. We found out the Galley was plumbed to the black tank when we checked the size of the black tank. As the black tank got full it filled into the galley sink. YUK. We checked the size because of how fast the black tank was filling up. We used a 5 gal water can and dumped 5 gals at a time down the toilet until it the black tank was full.

Needless to say this RV is not going to be ours for long. We know we are going to loose a lot when we dump it. We just have to figure out what is our best direction and what to buy to replace it. I doubt if Sabre can fix this to ever make us happy with it.

To me the main problem is the corrosion on the frame, springs, axels, slide adjusters and other stuff under it. This was a real learning curve on what to look for before we buy.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

I had a FR product and was not unhappy with it. We decided to upgrade to a 5er and looked hard at the Wildcat but FR but ultimately decided on the Open Range Light 297RLS. Very inorganic warranty issues so far and in and out of the dealer in one week. I sent an email this AM to Highland Ridge wi th have a question regarding my black tank and received a call from the factory rep at 1 PM today. I'm thoroughly pleased with our unit, our dealer and the support from the manufacturer.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #7

Meant very minor warranty issues. God bless fat fingers.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre