Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #1

2018 Sabre BHQ Damage upon removal of winter storage

Hello,
I’m new to the forum. New owner of a 36BHQ. We bought our trailer in august 2017, spent 10 nights in it before storing it for the winter. It’s our first 5th Wheel but not our first RV, and not our first Forest River.
Upon taking our Sabre out of storage, all the PVC vinyl is dimpled and rashes , like all of it! The entire closet in the master, all the backing of the drawers in the dresser, the entire fireplace/tv, the entire kitchen backing of cabinets. 50% of the doors are bowed and warped. The master closet the left door will olbot even shut anymore because the wood above the door is so bowed and warped. All the door hinges are rusted. The lights above the island are rusted, the screws in the fan are rusted.
We had a few problems noted and had planned to have our dealer fix them in the spring. The bunk bed broke (completely fell apart when my 62 pound 9 year old climbed up to get in it a week after purchasing. Our microwave is in crooked and barely hanging on by a thread, it works when it wants to, I guess it’s loose wires? And the window in the slide in the master, one is upside down. That side of the slide drips water continually since we got it, I’m guessing because the drain is in the top of the window and it is trapped in the wall?
I’ve owned 7 other RVs and have never seen so much damage coming out of covered winter storage. There were 5 other RVs in our storage place who prepped thier campers the same as we did and none have any damage.
The dumpling/rash in the PVC viny backing all the cabinets looks like it had a reaction with the MDF behind it! That would be my guess.

Here is my problem as well, no one sold these locally, so we drove 2 provinces away (Canada) and purchased it. We have a local dealer who sells Forest River (not Sabre, but driveable RVs) who is willing to do warranty work for us. He’s at it 20 years and was flabbergasted when he saw our fifth wheel, said he saw RVs with the side tore off them exposed to the elements with less damage than ours. He figures it’s a total write off.

When we contacted our dealer (2 provinces away) they said it looked (I sent pictures) and sounds like a moisture problem where we stored it and to go through our homeowners insurance for coverage? To me, it looks like a manufacturing problem and I feel FR should fix it, or replace my new fifth wheel! I have just been contacted by the dealer giving me a number to call to start the claim process with FR. I’m looking for any advice and suggestions on how to proceed? Any help welcomed. Pictures can be provided! Beware there are a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC98AF6A-C99B-49C8-A75C-A83EA9293FBC.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	171552   Click image for larger version

Name:	E557402D-E296-486A-9C0E-37A1EED73A76.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	171553   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8060458-B82A-4D10-B0CE-E71077BF6A59.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	171554   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C162083-6FE6-407D-9E7F-90667F462118.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	171555   Click image for larger version

Name:	82BBF2DC-FC41-477B-B2F4-A1ABFED4FE03.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	171556  

D. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:10 AM   #2

More pics

More pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00B136E6-1574-4BF4-8196-15842CD83BE8.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	171557   Click image for larger version

Name:	791E59F5-EDE2-4B70-9E80-014EC4940C76.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	171558   Click image for larger version

Name:	496BE072-B5E3-4727-8A99-27B54E934ABD.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	171559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCB76AC2-863B-4B00-97BD-9E4A4121A436.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	171560   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A72FFFE-406E-410E-8556-AA971A97329E.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	171561  

Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #3

That’s just a few! I have 64, but you get the idea
Old 05-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #4

Sorry to see this. If it were me, I I'd start working with both manufacturer and insurance in parallel and let them figure out who should cover it. Good luck.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #5

The only thing I seen attack metal like that is sulfur. I'e seen sulfur gas do that is houses and commercial bathrooms from the water. Remember Chinese drywall? have a look at your electric wires. Pull some outlets out of the wall. Take your panel cover off and have a look. See if the copper is black.

I would bypass the dealer and take it to Fr. With there permission of course.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

2018 Sabre BHQ Damage upon removal of winter storage

I’m sure it is a moisture issue, but what I don’t understand is if you knew your trailer was having leaking issues... why on earth would you cover it and put it into storage without first fixing it?! Not saying FR isn’t at fault for the shoddy craftsmanship, but you hold a share in the fault for being neglectful.
schaffer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer05 View Post
I’m sure it is a moisture issue, but what I don’t understand is if you knew your trailer was having leaking issues... why on earth would you cover it and put it into storage without first fixing it?! Not saying FR isn’t at fault for the shoddy craftsmanship, but you hold a share in the fault for being neglectful.
I would not call putting a trailer in covered storage neglectful. He didn't say he covered it. this is a new rig and metal should not be rusting. Hinges, screws!
Old 05-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #8

Ok, covered storage, apparently only the roof from the looks of the inside. Should it have happened on a new RV, absolutely not. Would you personally put a RV up for a winter with a leaking window? I know for sure I wouldn’t. Because I wouldn’t want it back with these issues.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The only thing I seen attack metal like that is sulfur. I'e seen sulfur gas do that is houses and commercial bathrooms from the water. Remember Chinese drywall? have a look at your electric wires. Pull some outlets out of the wall. Take your panel cover off and have a look. See if the copper is black.

I would bypass the dealer and take it to Fr. With there permission of course.
I’m in Newfoundland, Canada, a ferry ride and 5 days drive away
Old 05-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Ok, covered storage, apparently only the roof from the looks of the inside. Should it have happened on a new RV, absolutely not. Would you personally put a RV up for a winter with a leaking window? I know for sure I wouldn’t. Because I wouldn’t want it back with these issues.
No Sir, it was a fully enclosed, fully ventalated RV storage building, there were 5 other friends we camp with that had thier RVs stored there. Not one other RV had problems. We had our vents open (with the vent covers on them). And damp traps all over the RV. The damp traps had 1/2 and inch of water in them (about 4 inches below the full line).
Old 05-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
We noticed the window about 3 weeks after purchase, the slide kept dripping water on that side, but we hit the dew point 2x a day where. I live so it’s not unusual to see water running off a slide. My husband put sealant in the upside down window on the drain hole, and our dealer told us it would be fixed come spring. We did not know we had any leaks (and to be honest, we still dont, but obviously had moisture issues during winter storage). We don’t know what is happening with our RV and we took all the same measures we did with our last 7 RVs and never had this issue after winter storage. The window problem was noted and addressed before storage with the dealer.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #12

I’d be surprised if FR doesn’t try to blame it on how/where it was stored. Which sucks for you guys, because there is no doubt it’s due to their shoddy workmanship. I’d try what others have already said. Go after FR and your insurance. If your insurance pays, let them go after FR too. Hope you get it figured out and back to camping soon!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
We noticed the window about 3 weeks after purchase, the slide kept dripping water on that side, but we hit the dew point 2x a day where. I live so it’s not unusual to see water running off a slide. My husband put sealant in the upside down window on the drain hole, and our dealer told us it would be fixed come spring. We did not know we had any leaks (and to be honest, we still dont, but obviously had moisture issues during winter storage). We don’t know what is happening with our RV and we took all the same measures we did with our last 7 RVs and never had this issue after winter storage. The window problem was noted and addressed before storage with the dealer.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Reilly View Post
No Sir, it was a fully enclosed, fully ventalated RV storage building, there were 5 other friends we camp with that had thier RVs stored there. Not one other RV had problems. We had our vents open (with the vent covers on them). And damp traps all over the RV. The damp traps had 1/2 and inch of water in them (about 4 inches below the full line).
Have you used this brand of "Damp Trap" before? I trying to get a handle on the rusting hardware. What brand were they. I'd like to look up the ingreedence.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #15

Quote:
I’d be surprised if FR doesn’t try to blame it on how/where it was stored. Which sucks for you guys, because there is no doubt it’s due to their shoddy workmanship. I’d try what others have already said. Go after FR and your insurance. If your insurance pays, let them go after FR too. Hope you get it figured out and back to camping soon!
I think going both routes is our best option. Our camping season hasn’t even begun yet sadly. I intend to use it until everything is settled with either insurance or FR. we booked a seasonal site this year and our kids are eager to get going. Sadly we have only stayed in this fifth wheel maybe 10 nights in August, it went in storage the first week of September .
Old 05-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Horrible issues you have here. How close to the Ocean? I ask simply because if water was trapped inside the wall where the window is in upside down maybe the relative humidity was too high to allow it to dry out. One winter here in Southern Ontario our Rockwood started down this road with vinyl ripples and such, I burned 60 lbs of propane to dry the trailer out really good and the vinyl settled back. Worth a try. Also run a household dehumidifier with the furnace to help dry it out.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Horrible issues you have here. How close to the Ocean? I ask simply because if water was trapped inside the wall where the window is in upside down maybe the relative humidity was too high to allow it to dry out. One winter here in Southern Ontario our Rockwood started down this road with vinyl ripples and such, I burned 60 lbs of propane to dry the trailer out really good and the vinyl settled back. Worth a try. Also run a household dehumidifier with the furnace to help dry it out.
I’d say we are 1000 feet off the Atlantic, where it was store was similar distance. I just borrowed my parents dehumidifier and have my tanks filled. I’ll let you know how I make out. Newfoundland weather isn’t good on RVs, but we did our due dillgence with damp traps, open vents and enclosed storage. We are heartbroken about it. Especially considering we saved to buy this RV with no loans.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #18

Whatever is the outcome, I dont think damp traps are heavy duty enough. Good for a closet in the basement but not for your needs. Is AC power available at your storage?

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Whatever is the outcome, I dont think damp traps are heavy duty enough. Good for a closet in the basement but not for your needs. Is AC power available at your storage?
Sadly no, no AC Power, but we live on a acreage and are adding a 40x50x16 shop for our Fifth wheel and boat, then we have control and can put a dehumidifier in her and check on it every few days over winter storage. We just didn’t have it ready this year. We have actually stored all our RVs outside every year and never had a hitch, but because we invested $60,000 plus of our hard earned and saved money in this one, we decided to store it inside. In hindsight, I wonder if we would have been better off leaving it on our property.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post

I ran the furnace all night at 75 degrees for 12 hours over night with a house sized dehumidifier. When I put the dehumidifier in the RV it was indicating a relative humidity of 46%. Which is not high where I live (60% would be high). After 12 hours there’s is 1/4 of an inch of water in the bottom of the water holder in the dehumidifier. And it is now reading 37% humidity. I’ve turned the heat off during the day and left the dehumidifier running. The lowest I can set the dehumidifier is 35%. So I’ll continue until it hits 35%

Tags
storage, winter, sabre