Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2022, 10:38 PM   #1

37FLH Power for Levelling System

Hopefully my last question(s) before we head north!

Our trailer remains in storage at the resort in Alabama. When we leave it I disconnect the shore power and use the battery isolator switch to take the batteries off line to prevent them draining over the summer from parasitic drainage.

With the trailer set up as above, there is no power to the landing gear leg motors, making it a tad difficult for the resort staff to move the trailer. The first question is ..... if they connect the trailer to the tow vehicle with the "umbilical" cable (lights brakes etc), will that provide power for the landing gear. As we don't have a tow vehicle I can't try this.

Second question, the trailer comes fitted with a small solar panel (50 watts) and charger which connects directly to the battery and is not affected by the battery isolator switch. I am a little hesitant to leave this connected for 6 months during the summer as I have visions of the batteries being overcharged or depleted of liquid, am I just being paranoid? If I were to leave the solar charger connected, should I leave the batteries isolated or switch them back on line?

Thanks.
ex-egll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post
Hopefully my last question(s) before we head north!

Our trailer remains in storage at the resort in Alabama. When we leave it I disconnect the shore power and use the battery isolator switch to take the batteries off line to prevent them draining over the summer from parasitic drainage.

With the trailer set up as above, there is no power to the landing gear leg motors, making it a tad difficult for the resort staff to move the trailer. The first question is ..... if they connect the trailer to the tow vehicle with the "umbilical" cable (lights brakes etc), will that provide power for the landing gear. As we don't have a tow vehicle I can't try this.

Second question, the trailer comes fitted with a small solar panel (50 watts) and charger which connects directly to the battery and is not affected by the battery isolator switch. I am a little hesitant to leave this connected for 6 months during the summer as I have visions of the batteries being overcharged or depleted of liquid, am I just being paranoid? If I were to leave the solar charger connected, should I leave the batteries isolated or switch them back on line?

Thanks.

Answer to your first question is the landing gear should work if the 7-way plug on the RV is attached to the tow vehicle. Can't tell you how many times with my first fiver where the RV was disconnected from shore power for months, then try to raise or lower the front of it, only to find the batteries were drained. Only option for me was to plug the 7-way into my truck to get the power jacks to work again. Same thing with the battery disconnected...shouldn't matter, the 7-way will power the leveling jacks just fine.

I too have an FLH and have had no issues with the solar panel providing a continuous charge to my batteries. The panel should be wired thru the battery disconnect switch in the front storage, so if its disconnected, no charge should be going to the batteries, even from the solar panel.

I had to leave my FLH for four months with a place doing repairs for me. All that time the RV was outside with no shore power, battery disconnect was not engaged, and batteries worked perfectly on two occasions where we had to get things we left inside weeks later. Slides, lights and leveling jacks all worked fine and was very helpful with no AC power nearby. If I were leaving mine for that long (6 mon) tho, I'd disconnect the batteries.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #3

Thanks once again for your quick response to yet another of my questions.

Good news on the 7 pin hook up, that'll make life easier for the crew.

My charger is not wired through the disconnect switch, but there is a fuse in line with it, so I'll just pop that out when we leave. Maybe next year I'll route it through the disconnect switch.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #4
Happy Camper

I love the little solar charger and see no reason to disconnect it. Hopefully it is designed properly and will not harm the battery. Better for the battery to remain fully charged but I think if it is disconnected from load it should be ok for several months.
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
I love the little solar charger and see no reason to disconnect it. Hopefully it is designed properly and will not harm the battery. Better for the battery to remain fully charged but I think if it is disconnected from load it should be ok for several months.
Thanks for the comment, it's the phrase "it is designed properly" that concerns me

I chickened out and disconnected before we left last week. Maybe next year!

Tags
power