Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #1

Converter putting out 16 VDC !

My converter is putting out 15.5 - 16.0 VDC as measured in the power distribution center. When I put a load on the camper (operate slides) the voltage immediately drops to normal range of 13.3 - 13.7 VDC. When the load is removed the voltage output goes back to 15+ VDC. Is this normal? I did recently change both batteries with new deep cycle marine 650CCA batteries. It never acted this way with the old 600 CCA batteries...
My converter is a WFCO 8900
Old 02-09-2022, 04:03 PM   #2

It sounds like your batteries are not connected to your converter. Are you sure your battery disconnect switch is set correctly?
Old 02-09-2022, 05:22 PM   #3

Converter putting out 16 VDC !

Thanks for the fast reply! I'm STILL waiting on the dealer to get back to me but its only been a week!(
The batteries are connected. The voltage at the batteries is the same as the voltage at the converter leads inside the Power Distribution center.
Funny thing though.... When I put a DC load (lights, slides, etc) the converter output slides down immediately to 13.6VDC ... And NOW, with no load, its hovering at 14.9VDC, so I dont understand what is going on. The batteries are identical 650CCA deep cycle marine batteries purchased 2 days ago so it cant be an undercharged battery, can it?
Old 02-09-2022, 05:35 PM   #4

If you disconnect from shore power do your lights still work?
Old 02-09-2022, 05:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieG View Post
The batteries are identical 650CCA deep cycle marine batteries purchased 2 days ago so it cant be an undercharged battery, can it?
That rating is useless for towables. That is for starting an engine. CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps.
What you haa dual-purpose marine batteries which are not true deep cycle batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:30 PM   #6

Charging is volts plus amps so volts alone are not the whole story nor does it represent a charge. What I suspect is happening since you report that the voltage drops to a normal range once a load is on is that the either the meter your using or the converter is just putting out that high voltage because it isn't putting out any amps, e.g. not actually charging.

Double check you put your batteries in in parallel and not series.

Check your meter first and then you can always replace the converter if it worries you that much. WFCO ships really fast!!
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:21 AM   #7

I would immediately STOP using that charger and disconnect the charging wiring from the battery. You can toast those batts quickly at that voltage. I suspect bad wiring as well but it also could be an issue with the charger. First step in testing is with batteries disconnected and unit plugged in...voltage test the output on the back of the inverter. Voltage should be not less than 13.2 and not more than 14.4. If it is IN that range...then the battery wiring is screwed up. If it remains over 14.4...you need a new converter...likely.
BTW...if you always plug in somewhere like I do...there's nothing wrong with getting the cheap dual purpose batteries like Walmart sells...but you never want to buy based on CCA...only 20 hour amphour ratings count. Make sure any battery you buy specifies that as well or you're buying a starting battery. Good luck.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I would immediately STOP using that charger and disconnect the charging wiring from the battery. You can toast those batts quickly at that voltage. I suspect bad wiring as well but it also could be an issue with the charger. First step in testing is with batteries disconnected and unit plugged in...voltage test the output on the back of the inverter. Voltage should be not less than 13.2 and not more than 14.4. If it is IN that range...then the battery wiring is screwed up. If it remains over 14.4...you need a new converter...likely.
BTW...if you always plug in somewhere like I do...there's nothing wrong with getting the cheap dual purpose batteries like Walmart sells...but you never want to buy based on CCA...only 20 hour amphour ratings count. Make sure any battery you buy specifies that as well or you're buying a starting battery. Good luck.

My 2021 37flh doing same thing. At camping world at Dover fla now. Advised they checked other units, stated wiring is correct and everything is correct. I don’t think so!
Bubba1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:10 AM   #9
Site Team

What converter do you have?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #10

You mean the converter inside, not the inverter in the front compartment with the batteries? Got all my manuals in the house, will check them and get back to you. Thanks! My fifth is still at camping world.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:46 PM   #11

To check the voltage output of your converter it must be disconnected from the battery. Cables disconnected. With AC power to the trailer the voltage at the disconnected cables should be 13.6vDC. Be sure the meter is set to DC volts.

While the cables are disconnected measure the battery voltage. Both separately -- yep more cables to disconnect. Should be 12.7vDC. Dead or shorted batteries -- regardless of age -- can force high charging voltages from the battery charger/converter.

If it's really ~16vDC the easiest troubleshooting is just replace the converter. It's a separate thingy inside the power panel. Paying current labor rates to troubleshoot $100 items is false economy. Sometimes it's just better to throw parts (in this case a single part) at it.

Dealing with Camping World for anything more complex than changing a light bulb seems to be fruitless the past couple of years.

Using starting batteries (any battery with a cold cranking amp rating is a starting battery) in lieu of deep cycles works but they won't last nearly as long. But the battery charger/converter doesn't care.

-- Chuck
Old 05-14-2022, 01:15 PM   #12

I have deep cycle that was in the unit when purchased July 2021.

I have a WF-9800 Series Deckmount Converter-Charger.

Will add this info: Have a WF-5110RS True Sine Wave Inverter for Refrigerator only.

Will be going to Camping World Mon 5-16-22 To show them this latest thread.

Will be getting to the bottom of this before cooking batteries!

Thanks Guys!
Old 05-14-2022, 02:46 PM   #13

Hi Guys
I will be picking up my fifth wheel on May 18th. Will be hooking up shore power from house 15AMP. inverter will be active. When this is done it displays that inverter is on bypass (green) light for house current. Will do some experimenting and give the results when completing them. Here is additional info on unit.

2021 Sabre 37FLH
Juice Package
50watt solar panel
already provided inverter info (Just for refrigerator)
WAAREE Solar Charge Controller
Battery Voltage 12V/24V Auto
Max Solar Input <50A
Current Charge 10A 20A 30A
Discharge Current 10A 20A 30A

This controller does not have output over-load or short-circut protection. (in red)
Contoller is to ensure that your Battery is not overcharged.

if you need info advise.

Have a great weekend
Bob Stevens
Zephryhills, Fl
Have a great weekend guys
Old 05-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
To check the voltage output of your converter it must be disconnected from the battery. Cables disconnected. With AC power to the trailer the voltage at the disconnected cables should be 13.6vDC. Be sure the meter is set to DC volts.

While the cables are disconnected measure the battery voltage. Both separately -- yep more cables to disconnect. Should be 12.7vDC. Dead or shorted batteries -- regardless of age -- can force high charging voltages from the battery charger/converter.

If it's really ~16vDC the easiest troubleshooting is just replace the converter. It's a separate thingy inside the power panel. Paying current labor rates to troubleshoot $100 items is false economy. Sometimes it's just better to throw parts (in this case a single part) at it.

Dealing with Camping World for anything more complex than changing a light bulb seems to be fruitless the past couple of years.

Using starting batteries (any battery with a cold cranking amp rating is a starting battery) in lieu of deep cycles works but they won't last nearly as long. But the battery charger/converter doesn't care.

-- Chuck
You don't test "open circuit voltage". Same as trying to test a battery with nothing hooked up, reading 12V+ as saying all is good.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #15

That's the voltage check in the WFCO power center/converter manual. Disconnect the battery. No load.

Page 7, last paragraph. <--- Link to the manual, just click it and find page 7.

Deep cycle battery should be checked after at least 12 hours "rest" (neither changing nor discharging.) Starting batteries have different protocols.

-- Chuck
Old 05-25-2022, 08:20 PM   #16

Picked up unit and went camping for four days. No problems. Really strange

Tags
converter