Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #21

even purchasing one for your trailer and planning to install it yourself may not go as planned.
when a ladder is installed at the factory there are beefed up supports internally to support the ladder and the intended limited weight

without it you are merely drilling through the roof membrane and the thin roof decking and on the end of the trailer the gel coat fiberglass.

if they haven't installed the ladder they most likely haven't installed the support mechanisms as well.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #22

I'm not so sure I'd install a ladder on an RV that doesn't have one nor does the manufacturer install them anymore. This could have a waterfall effect in an effort to save money. What ladder would you buy, how would you find out what to attach it to so its secured enough to use it without ripping it out of the frame and causing permanent damage to your RV? And how would you know even if your were able to attach it down the road it wasn't leaking until its too late? I, like previously mentioned, have a telescoping ladder that is also rated for 300 lbs. and IMHO is safer than any attached ladder. Being a new RV would add to a caution that it could and I say could void the warranty if a leak developed on the roof or sides. They'll use that as the reason it wasn't designed for it...that's my two cents. I'm sure you'll hear from others that have done it without any issues.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #23

Have we determined if what the dealer said is correct? Do they no longer install roof ladders?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #24

Design Change?

Make sure there hadn't been any design changes to the roof. Long time ago, had a Scotty trailer that didn't have a ladder. Dealer told me there isn't any plywood sheathing under the rubber roof (and that was true). Maybe the roof can no longer support walking on it. Just my $.02
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Can't count the times I've been injured due to my own stupidity. Fortunately only causing physical discomfort. but never has the thought passed through my mind i should retain a lawyer to make someone else pay for my dumb actions.

It amazes me how people think that their misuse of a product is the manufacturer's fault.

We have a local radio talk show host that has a segment on his show called 'Signs the End is Near". He reads from news reports of cases where people do stupid things with disastrous results. Sad, but entertaining to a point.

Yep, sounds just like the 6pm local and national news stories of the day.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
You may be correct, but I'm going to let EVERYONE know about their misleading advertising.
Go right ahead. You're off to a good start. It's likely that almost nobody cares. Are you really telling us that you would not have purchased this RV if you had known it did not come with a ladder?
Old 02-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #27

Before you put a ladder on you’d best check to make sure the wall can handle it. They may have taken the supports out also.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
However, according to OSHA requirements, "Each step or rung of a fixed ladder must be able to support a load of at least 250 pounds (114 kg) applied in the middle of the step or rung. Minimum clear distance between the sides of individual rung/step ladders and between the side rails of other fixed ladders must be 16 inches (41 cm)."
Interesting to know, but it occurs to me that I have never been concerned with the step breaking, but with the whole damn thing pulling off the back of the RV while I'm climbing it. Anybody know if there is a standard for that?
Old 02-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #29

Too many old, fat men falling off the ladders and the legal department made a call. No more fat men on the roof via ladder.

Have fun
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Too many old, fat men falling off the ladders and the legal department made a call. No more fat men on the roof via ladder.

Have fun

Quick solution so the old, fat farts don't fall off the roof during annual inspections anymore?.....Drones!
Old 02-09-2021, 03:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Quick solution so the old, fat farts don't fall off the roof during annual inspections anymore?.....Drones!

My solution when I don't want to climb the ladder anymore will be to get my granddaughter to do it. She's picky and if things don't look right she can take a picture and bring it to me on the ground.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My solution when I don't want to climb the ladder anymore will be to get my granddaughter to do it. She's picky and if things don't look right she can take a picture and bring it to me on the ground.

Kids and grandkids work pretty good too, Mike . Thanks for reminding us!
Old 02-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #33
Site Team

As a 66 year old retired firefighter, I still have no issues with ladders. But last year I fell 15 feet off my ladder, onto concrete, while cleaning gutters. My head missed a huge boulder by mere inches but somehow all I got was a few bruises.
So it hasn't deterred me from getting on my TT's roof, which has no ladder. And I weigh 235lbs, due to Covid![emoji1787]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
As a 66 year old retired firefighter, I still have no issues with ladders. But last year I fell 15 feet off my ladder, onto concrete, while cleaning gutters. My head missed a huge boulder by mere inches but somehow all I got was a few bruises.
So it hasn't deterred me from getting on my TT's roof, which has no ladder. And I weigh 235lbs, due to Covid![emoji1787]
......Nice!
Old 02-09-2021, 04:18 PM   #35

Look at 3:30.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post

I assume they're adding the roof rack to the 2021 and a half model year? So much for what the dealer said.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #37
ARLO

Quote:
I just got a new 37FLL. It did not come with the ladder installed on the rear of the camper. When I inquired about this, the dealer told me that Forest River will not install them anymore. Even though all of the sales materials still show ladders as being standard. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper. I have submitted a question to Forest River about this situation. Basically I told them that they are misrepresenting their product and they should pay to have a ladder installed on my camper

PARTS AND DESIGN CHANGES: Warrantor reserves the right to change the parts and design of its recreational vehicle from time to time without notice and with no obligation to maintain spare parts or make corresponding changes in its products previously manufactured.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #38
ysidive

Quote:
I just got a new 37FLL. It did not come with the ladder installed on the rear of the camper. When I inquired about this, the dealer told me that Forest River will not install them anymore. Even though all of the sales materials still show ladders as being standard. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper. I have submitted a question to Forest River about this situation. Basically I told them that they are misrepresenting their product and they should pay to have a ladder installed on my camper
Maybe you should go after the dealer for not informing you before the unit arrived... Maybe you could have negotiated the ladder from the dealer... If he sold it to you with the understanding that a ladder was part of the package, then he should install it free...
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #39

I just did a nationwide search for this model on RV Trader's website. As of today, there are 77 listed for sale. Of all the ones listed with non-stock photos, there were two that didn't have a roof ladder.

Either the Sabre manufacturing plant ran out of the ladder assembly before these units rolled out the door (which is possible), or they didn't come with Forest River's roof ladder package.

Its just like the Juice Pack that all Sabre's are supposed to include. There are some manufactured without this option, but their asking price is also about a grand less. I noticed this when I bought my Sabre last year. The dealer had photos of multiple FLH units for sale, some without the Juice Pack. The dead giveaway to determine if they had it or not, was whether there was a volt meter installed in the control center area. When they told me the one I bought included the option, but the photo of the one with the stock number I bought didn't include the meter, I had them take a picture and text it to me to prove it before I signed any paperwork.

Buyers beware!
Old 02-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #40
Happy Camper

Buyer beware, indeed!
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, sabre