Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #1

How to connect prepped outlet

I just bought a 22 Sabre 37flh and 110v outlet in w/d closet is just prepped but no actual outlet. Do I just pop the cover off and connect a outlet and find the space for a breaker panel?
Thank you in advance.
Icelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #2

Have you checked with your dealer? It may be the work was overlooked and not completed.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
Happy Camper

Yes it should be there.
At least it is in my 37FLL.
But of course, Forest River reserves the right to change or delete features without notice, such as ladders.
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:02 PM   #4
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelance View Post
I just bought a 22 Sabre 37flh and 110v outlet in w/d closet is just prepped but no actual outlet. Do I just pop the cover off and connect a outlet and find the space for a breaker panel?
Thank you in advance.
Depends, if the wiring is in there and "hot" yes on the outlet, no on the panel. If the wiring is there but not hot, yes to both. "Only you can tell us the answer"! /end Smokey Bear voice.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:52 AM   #5

Our FLH came wired and ready to go. We use the outlet with our portable dishwasher that's sitting in that closet. You will find one of the breakers marked for the washer/dryer in the panel in the kitchen.

As recommended, you can call the dealer from which you bought it, but they'll most likely have no idea and tell you they need to have you bring it in. If it were me, I'd remove the outlet cover and install an outlet there. I'm certain the wiring's there and you'll do a better job than the dealership.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:37 PM   #6

Our 2021 FLH also came with outlets, just no dryer vent until the dryer was instlled.
jpkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #7
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Our FLH came wired and ready to go. We use the outlet with our portable dishwasher that's sitting in that closet. You will find one of the breakers marked for the washer/dryer in the panel in the kitchen.

As recommended, you can call the dealer from which you bought it, but they'll most likely have no idea and tell you they need to have you bring it in. If it were me, I'd remove the outlet cover and install an outlet there. I'm certain the wiring's there and you'll do a better job than the dealership.
Unless you don't know anything about such things, learning electrical service can be a shocking experience!
Old 04-04-2022, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
Unless you don't know anything about such things, learning electrical service can be a shocking experience!

Very true! I'm of the belief "give a man a fish and feed him for the day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime". A quick Internet or YouTube search on the subject can help to educate one on how to do this. Can't tell you how many things I learned from Internet or YouTube searches about the many upgrades and fixes I did to my RV over the last couple years. Not only did I learn something new, but had the satisfaction of getting it done myself, doing a better job than a dealership, and saving time and money in the process.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #9

You realize...

Quote:
Thank you in advance.
You realize, don't you, that RVs don't use the junction-box-and-screw-terminal-outlet that are used in residential and commercial construction?

They use a special Self-Contained Device (SCD) outlet. It simply clamps over the NM cable and connects via "insulation displacement." This usage is approved by the National Electrical Code. Here's the brochure on it.

Another brochure

You can get the special outlet at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-S...9092799&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-S...9092799&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Group...9092799&sr=8-7

Also at eBay.

The special tool shown in the brochure costs several hundred dollars. shows use of the Hubbell tool.

shows how to make a tool by sacrificing an outlet.

I've read of others using a screwdriver as a punchdown tool. That would be my last resort.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:04 PM   #10

Thank you for inputs. I popped the cover and it seems it’s prewired but still have to find the breaker. Fifth wheel still at dealer so I can install it later but it’s rated at 10amp and washer/dryer I am looking at is 13amp…
Old 04-04-2022, 08:14 PM   #11

Buying w/d is another issue. Good dryers are 240v or gas…
My choice right is LG all in one( 110v, ventless and easy way out) or stackable and convert the gas dryer to propane…
I’m trying to squeeze in as big a w/d I can.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:05 PM   #12

More info

Quote:
Thank you for inputs. I popped the cover and it seems it’s prewired but still have to find the breaker. Fifth wheel still at dealer so I can install it later but it’s rated at 10amp and washer/dryer I am looking at is 13amp…
Here are 15-amp SCD outlets.

It won't be much comfort to you, but here is a link to a much less expensive SCD punchdown tool. It looks like you press the conductors into the retainers one-at-a-time.

Less expensive outlets here.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #13

Quote:

You'll find the the panel by the door. It's a 20Amp breaker in the panel set aside specifically for the washer and dryer and includes what appears to be a circuit test button. Both are on the same breaker and is the fifth breaker from the right side, just in case yours aren't labeled.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:10 AM   #14

Thank you for inputs and upon further review, I think it’s best that I turn the prepped outlet to standard house outlet. There doesn’t seem to any safety issue(probably better to have household outlet with very small point of contact with SC outlet) and as things fall apart, I was going to turn them into residential items anyway. Fifth wheel is going to be stationary.