Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 12:54 AM   #1

Just got a 37flh, trying to locate the CO alarm

It’s our first week using our brand new trailer and I was wondering why my propane tank went low fast. I am being paranoid about any gas leak and I can’t seem to locate the CO alarm. Does anyone know where this would be on a 37flh? And if someone can take a pic of its location would be nice. Thank you in advance!
real9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by real9777 View Post
It’s our first week using our brand new trailer and I was wondering why my propane tank went low fast. I am being paranoid about any gas leak and I can’t seem to locate the CO alarm. Does anyone know where this would be on a 37flh? And if someone can take a pic of its location would be nice. Thank you in advance!

I just looked at the model on the FR website. There are two alarms on the ceiling of the RV on either side of the ceiling fan in the kitchen, which is where I would expect it to be. Could not make out which one was smoke and which was the CO alarm though, but they should be labeled.

Normally, they install them right next to the smoke alarm in all the RV's I've ever owned, but if you still can't find it, I'll check my FLH and post a picture later today after work.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
I just looked at the model on the FR website. There are two alarms on the ceiling of the RV on either side of the ceiling fan in the kitchen, which is where I would expect it to be. Could not make out which one was smoke and which was the CO alarm though, but they should be labeled.

Normally, they install them right next to the smoke alarm in all the RV's I've ever owned, but if you still can't find it, I'll check my FLH and post a picture later today after work.
Thank you for the reply! I’m guessing they install the detectors on different locations depending on where you purchase your trailer. I have a detector about 2 ft from the bedroom door ceiling in the kitchen area, but that’s the only detector I see. Could it be that it is a combination detector? Smoke/CO
Old 11-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Propane detectors can also be CO detectors but not always.

Propane detectors are usually mounted near floor level since propane gas is heavier than air.

What LP (propane) appliances were you using?
A furnace will use a full tank of propane in just a few days if you keep the thermostat at 75ºF all the time. Furnaces and ovens are propane hogs.

Propane detectors often look something like this....

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Propane detectors can also be CO detectors but not always.

Propane detectors are usually mounted near floor level since propane gas is heavier than air.

What LP (propane) appliances were you using?
A furnace will use a full tank of propane in just a few days if you keep the thermostat at 75ºF all the time. Furnaces and ovens are propane hogs.

Propane detectors often look something like this....

I see, thank you for the detailed info. I do use the heater a lot, but could never be too safe! The paperwork that the trailer came with has a brochure of the co detector. I’ve called the manufacturer and they said that it should floor level since gas goes lower than actual oxygen. Im gonna have to get my good eyes and look for it again when we go back to the trailer! Overall this 37flh is insanely awesome!
Old 11-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

As mentioned when using heat or gas range it will eat a lot of propane. Also what size takes do you have and fit could be possible they never got the tnks full. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #7

Don't be paranoid

Quote:
Don't be paranoid. Unlike CO, propane is heavily scented with mercaptan and you would smell it long before it reaches dangerous levels.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Look at the bottom of your kitchen island in front of the stove.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post

The CO / Propane detectors are never located on the ceiling. To function properly they should always be near the floor as CO and propane are heavier than air.

RVs in the past rarely had the detectors. Do have a fear of gas but do respect it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #10

Just a Reminder --- Always Test you Smoke/Fire Alarm & CO/Propane Alarm regularly to insure they are working in case they are ever needed.

Should be a routine before you camp.
Hopefully with this pattern you will never be in a real situation of need.

Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, Enjoy your Camping Experience.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:53 PM   #11

Great idea, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Just a Reminder --- Always Test you Smoke/Fire Alarm & CO/Propane Alarm regularly to insure they are working in case they are ever needed.

Okay, but how. I do periodically test the smoke detector with lighted match (or by burning toast). And I occasionally test the propane detector by opening the valve on my propane torch without igniting it, in front of my propane detector.

But I've never figured out how to generate Carbon Monoxide to test the CO detector. How do you test yours? Surely not just the battery check!
Old 11-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Okay, but how. I do periodically test the smoke detector with lighted match (or by burning toast). And I occasionally test the propane detector by opening the valve on my propane torch without igniting it, in front of my propane detector.

But I've never figured out how to generate Carbon Monoxide to test the CO detector. How do you test yours? Surely not just the battery check!
You can use this.

https://safetymedia.com/product/00/F...PRAY-UL-LISTED
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #13

Ok, I just checked my FLH. If you go behind the kitchen island sink, the CO detector is below the right side island drawers.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #14
ARLO

Quote:

My wife tests it several times a week. Funny though, she always tests it when she is cooking breakfast.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

Interesting! Maybe mine in my TT are different.
I test them the same way I do the ones in my home. Push the Test Button.
Are you saying Smoke Alarms & CO Alarms are not universal.
And hear I thought all were. Wow! News to me.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
My wife tests it several times a week. Funny though, she always tests it when she is cooking breakfast.

My smoke alarm is so sensitive that if my windows to the camper are open on the side of my camp fire, it will set the dam thing off.

I am thankful to have the propane detector. I accidentally hit one of the stove burner switches without igniting. I caught the smell as soon as the alarm went off. Quickly opened all windows, then did my search. First stop was stove, viewed switches, all looked normal, until I tried turning them. Surprise, one was on.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Interesting! Maybe mine in my TT are different.
I test them the same way I do the ones in my home. Push the Test Button.
Are you saying Smoke Alarms & CO Alarms are not universal.
And hear I thought all were. Wow! News to me.
Pressing the test button certainly tests the battery/power supply, and the alarm sound. It might even test some of the internal circuitry, but it does not test the sensor that detects the CO, propane, or flame. How could it?

You know the propane sensor deteriorates over time. That's why they have an internal timer that disables the unit after 5 years. What if yours dies earlier?

The ionization detector in consumer "smoke" detectors is a small radioactive element which decays over time? Without a flame test, how do you know it works?

I imagine the CO sensor is also fallible since it must be exposed to the elements.

Larry
Old 11-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #18

[QUOTE=Larry-NC;2456246]Pressing the test button certainly tests the battery/power supply, and the alarm sound. It might even test some of the internal circuitry, but it does not test the sensor that detects the CO, propane, or flame. How could it?

You know the propane sensor deteriorates over time. That's why they have an internal timer that disables the unit after 5 years. What if yours dies earlier?

The ionization detector in consumer "smoke" detectors is a small radioactive element which decays over time? Without a flame test, how do you know it works?

I imagine the CO sensor is also fallible since it must be exposed to the elements.

Larry,

Wow! Good Points. I never really gave that a thought.
Test button checks battery, circuitry, & alarm sound but not sensor.

So that same theory must apply to in home, battery operated alarms as well. Guess I will have to change my ways of testing these devices going forward.

Yes, I am aware that all new alarms have a time limit on them.
Thank-you for stating that fact for those unaware.

Stay Safe, Stay Healthy where ever travels takes you.
Enjoy your Turkey Day

Ken
Old 01-24-2021, 08:18 AM   #19
Happy Camper

Speaking of CO sensors

Does the FLH come with a battery disconnect switch? I just ordered the FLL version and I would expect them to be the same.
Actually mine has the juice pack option so maybe it will keep the battery charged during storage anyway.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
Does the FLH come with a battery disconnect switch? I just ordered the FLL version and I would expect them to be the same.
Actually mine has the juice pack option so maybe it will keep the battery charged during storage anyway.
The FLH has a red battery disconnect switch located in the front storage where the spare tire is located just above the batteries on the right of the back wall.

The juice pack will keep your batteries charged during storage, providing the roof panel is not covered and the batteries are not disconnected.

Tags
37flj