Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

New 36QBOK owner

So we picked up our new 36QBOK a couple weeks ago and after a quick trip back to the dealer to fix our front slide that would go in or out we are on our maiden voyage.

First up an explanation about the front slide. I wish I could find the thread again where someone has sent their unit back to the factory for their front slide problems. I think this would be helpful/pertinent for them as well. Our front slide was only screwed into the plywood floor instead of the metal supports (there wasn't a metal support in ours). It actually wouldn't retract during the PDI so we left and grabbed a meal but they called us and said it was just a matter of some washers that weren't installed and that they had it fixed. So back we went, put the slide in and out several times and sure enough smooth as butter.

We take it home and start transferring all our gear from the previous trailer and the slide won't retract again. This time I'm hearing crunching and splintering wood. Finally by lifting and pushing while my son holds the retract switch we get it in. Back to the dealer where they disassemble the front of the unit to access the underneath portion of the slide only to find no supports or metal plates. So the motor just pulled right out of the plywood which is the wood splintering that I heard. So the sandwiched the plywood with metal support plates and secured the motor to the metal. Tested it several times works great. Take it home pull the floor again and now the metal plates are shifting ever so slightly as it goes in/out. So my guess is after X number of in/out operations we are going to have trouble again. The real question is the value of X...? Not sure what the final fix will be but if yours doesn't have the metal supports, it's likely a ticking time bomb. I wonder if we had added a metal plate prior to the wood being so badly damaged if this could have been avoided?

So our last trailer was clearly a Friday unit, which I won't go into, but I was so focused on certain areas of the PDI that I clearly missed some of the basics this time.

Not a single drain was tightened and every single one of them leaked. One of them wasn't even attached at the trap. Nothing major but clearly I missed testing the sinks! My worry is that the shower drain is also loose. What is the best way to access/check that? Where would I notice the water first?

The kitchen sink supply lines are also leaking, I have tried tightening them, we will see if I can get them to stop leaking.

I think the city supply is leaking but I think it is on the back side of the port. Is that easily accessed somehow to tighten it?

The Bluetooth potion of our iRV radio/media center won't keep a connection and skips extremely bad when it does play. Is this normal or do others have better luck with the Bluetooth?

We had 4 of the outdoor latches that wouldn't stay shut even when locked but I know how to fix those from this forum. Until I can get a few parts I just loosened the screws added washers underneath and retightened which lifted the plates enough so the latch fully engages.

We have a possible electrical gremlin but I started a separate thread for that one.

Now on to the good. The bike rack is absolutely solid. I had the wife follow me for a short trip through the neighborhood and she said the rack didn't bounce at all. The bikes didn't even so much as wiggle. I did modify the arm a touch by adding some washers to keep it from being so loose. It's now a bit hard to get in and out but it doesn't move at all when installed.

The slides haven't leaked at all and we have had some good downpours and steady rain for a full day. No leaks anywhere.

Everyone loves the extra space and layout. At one point we had 8 people that all had to come inside for a meal due to the rain and with the back bunk table set up we weren't even cramped while eating.

It was a bit cool this week and with the fireplace providing so much warmth in the central area the propane has far outlasted what we would have expected based on our last trailer. That includes using a modified Coleman XLL grill on the propane as well.

My wife absolutely loves the amount of storage cabinets and utility of the pantry. The can pantry is a great feature. I'm have some mixed feelings on the bunkhouse. The kids absolutely love the extra space but I've noticed that they have spent a little more time indoors than in the past. I think it's partly due to the weather, but mostly due to the great space for them and their friends back there.

We had a washer/dryer combo installed in the front closet and absolutely love it. It does shake the trailer quite a bit but as long as we don't use it while anyone sleeps I don't think it will bother anyone. We actually timed it so that it would end just before bed time last night and the extra heat it put into the bedroom was perfect considering it got cold outside again. One of those unexpected benefits in the cool weather that will work against us in the summer. But we knew it would add heat to the room. We have the second airconditioner installed.

Overall we love the unit. Just hoping to get some of the water system leaks under control and then it will be perfect.
wentcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentcamping View Post
Not a single drain was tightened and every single one of them leaked. One of them wasn't even attached at the trap. Nothing major but clearly I missed testing the sinks! My worry is that the shower drain is also loose. What is the best way to access/check that? Where would I notice the water first?
In the basement (early 2013 model year, bought in 2012), remove the screws holding down the back-side of the water bay panel. Mine is just 3 or so on the floor. I've had that thing in and out a dozen times now. Look up and you should basically see the underside of the shower.

Quote:
I think the city supply is leaking but I think it is on the back side of the port. Is that easily accessed somehow to tighten it?
See above OR just use a smartphone and record a video. You can hold it over that same little partition.

Quote:
The Bluetooth potion of our iRV radio/media center won't keep a connection and skips extremely bad when it does play. Is this normal or do others have better luck with the Bluetooth?
Mine plays fine (IRV66) *but* it has super terrible range. I will generally leave my phone at the charging station over the sink OR just inside of the door. Kind of defeats the purpose of tunes outside if I still have to go inside ot futz with it.

Quote:
We had a washer/dryer combo installed in the front closet and absolutely love it. It does shake the trailer quite a bit but as long as we don't use it while anyone sleeps I don't think it will bother anyone.
Dude, you're not thinking straight. You use this as an excuse for that ("fun time activities with the adult occupants in the master bedroom").

Quote:
Overall we love the unit. Just hoping to get some of the water system leaks under control and then it will be perfect.
Hopefully the good outweighs the bad and you get to enjoy it!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #3

Congrats on your new 36QBOK. Sorry to hear about all the kinks but hopefully they'll all get worked out.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
In the basement (early 2013 model year, bought in 2012), remove the screws holding down the back-side of the water bay panel. Mine is just 3 or so on the floor. I've had that thing in and out a dozen times now. Look up and you should basically see the underside of the shower.

See above OR just use a smartphone and record a video. You can hold it over that same little partition.

Mine plays fine (IRV66) *but* it has super terrible range. I will generally leave my phone at the charging station over the sink OR just inside of the door. Kind of defeats the purpose of tunes outside if I still have to go inside ot futz with it.

Dude, you're not thinking straight. You use this as an excuse for that ("fun time activities with the adult occupants in the master bedroom").

Hopefully the good outweighs the bad and you get to enjoy it!
Thanks, I'll pull that panel and see what I can find back there water wise.

We have been able to get the Bluetooth to work if we leave the phone/ipod right above the radio on the ledge below the tv, but sometimes it even skips there. I may pull the paneling to see if there is any metal or mounting brackets that might be interfering.

We had some good rain the past day or two and the slides and walls appear to be watertight. That might seem like an odd statement, but considering our last trailer had 3 new walls from the factory, then later a new roof from the factory, and then the slide unit pulled and refurbed all within the 4 years we had it, I'm pretty happy overall!

My neighbor still ribs me that the "babbling brook(s)" in our unit were all features of Forest RIVER and that they likely charged me extra to build in the company's namesake.

We will be taking it back out in two weeks for another shakedown to work on the electric and remaining plumbing leaks. I think I managed to get all of the plumbing squared away with the exception of the outdoor kitchen. I'm not sure how to reach the connection for the faucet and I'm pretty sure that is where the few drips are coming from.

We have a family trip planned for the Tetons, Yellowstone, and Mt Rushmore coming up in June and I just want to have all the bugs worked out by then.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
Always Learning

For the sink in the outdoor kitchen, try accessing it from the bunkhouse. Most of the panels in that side are just 2 screws holding them in. Unscrew them and they pull right out. It might be a heck of a stretch, but it might get you were you need to be.

As for the bluetooth, is it an IRV radio? If so, contact:
Todd Eash
National Warranty Mgr.
Quest Audio Video
A Division of Patrick Ind.
(574) 970-8287 - Office
(574) 970-8326 - Fax
easht@patrickind.com
Old 05-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #6

Thanks, I never thought of going through the bunkhouse. I bet that will work as I don't need to do much just get a wrench on the fitting to tighten it up I bet.

Yes it is a iRV, thank you for the contact info!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
For the sink in the outdoor kitchen, try accessing it from the bunkhouse. Most of the panels in that side are just 2 screws holding them in. Unscrew them and they pull right out. It might be a heck of a stretch, but it might get you were you need to be.

Todd Eash
National Warranty Mgr.
Quest Audio Video
(574) 970-8287 - Office
(574) 970-8326 - Fax
easht@patrickind.com
Spoke with Todd and a new unit is being sent out. Thanks for the contact information!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Spoke with Todd and a new unit is being sent out. Thanks for the contact information!
Great! Any luck with the other stuff?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #9

Unfortunately, I'm still away at work. I get to travel home tomorrow and we will be hooking up and heading out with the rig for another weekend. For me it will be a working weekend, while I work on the previous issues as well as install the new EMS-LCHW50 which my wife says arrived on the front porch yesterday.

I finished adding the 3 sewer tubes under the bike rack, I bought the adjustable length tubes since I needed a quick solution while I've been traveling for work. I just extended the tubes to the same length as the bike rack and bolted them through the frame. Eventually I'll touch up the nuts and bolts with some black paint in order to minimize the look.

The bike rack worked out great! I was a bit nervous pulling away with the bikes on their the first time so I had DW follow me around as I found some bumps and one full speed stretch to test out the stability. Not so much as a single bounce, wobble or rocking of the rack or bikes. She said it was like they were glued in place. I have a 4th bike to add but it was still at the bike shop having a few things tuned up.

I converted over the Coleman grill for using it with the low pressure system and cooked out right in the front yard to test it. My neighbors are starting to think I've gone a bit over the edge...

The front bedroom slide has been fixed once for the metal plate basically ripping out of the plywood. I'm curious, is this what everyone else's slide system looks like? I need to figure out a way of reinforcing it as it is starting to come loose again.

We bought 3 maxair II vents installed along with a fantastic fan for the bunkhouse vent (with remote since the kids can't reach it). When I went to pick up the trailer they had already installed them...

We put in a washer/dryer combo into the front closet as we like to do a load of towels or clothes each day. It just makes returning home a bit easier and means we have to carry a few less towels on those trips where we will be swimming or hitting the beach etc.

I finally got to adding bed steps to my truck since I had to keep climbing up the side to use the hitch. Unfortunately, as I was installing the driver side step the retracting/hold up spring decided to fail. A spring that size splitting into 2 with one part smacking the asphalt right next to your head while you lay under the truck and the other part trying to implant itself into your thigh really gets your attention pretty quick! I also added the retraxone cover to keep the elements off my hitch between trips. So I got a bit done before I left for work, I just have to install the pop n lock to my tailgate which also arrived while I have been gone.

Good thing camping is fun, as I re-read my post it sure does seem like a lot of work too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1526.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	470.9 KB
ID:	107584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1527.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	107585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	107587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	107589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	107590  

Old 05-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #10
Always Learning

You have a bunkhouse vent?! Man, I wish I did!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #11

I can't imagine not having a vent in that room... But I could definitely see it being difficult to use without a remote control fan.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:

Todd Eash
National Warranty Mgr.
Quest Audio Video
(574) 970-8287 - Office
(574) 970-8326 - Fax
easht@patrickind.com
Swapped out the radio this weekend here at the campground and wow what a difference. The Bluetooth will stay connected even outside all the way to the front of the camper and just shy of the outdoor kitchen. The sound doesn't cut out anymore at low volume either.

Since I had it out I hooked up our media player to the hdmi on so now we get surround sound for our movies as well independent of the tv volume. I added wires to carry the sound from a separate Bluetooth receiver but I don't think I'll need it with the better bt reception.

But the best part is they fixed the speaker zone power up logic. Now only the last used speakers come on when powering up.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:33 AM   #13

In your picture it looks like your front bed has the gas shocks and just raises up. Is that the case or did you add the gas shocks? My front bed (2015 36QBOK) is screwed down and has drawers in the front. To access the slide motor you have to unscrew the plywood.

2015 Sabre 36QBOK-7
2007 F-350 Diesel FX-4
China Grove,NC
Pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #14

Ours came with the gas shocks. Surprisingly, they are even strong enough to stay open even with our foam topper.

The plywood deck over the motor is just set off to the side in this picture. It too is screwed down so the storage under the bed is pretty shallow. Drawers would be a good solution as well.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates55 View Post
In your picture it looks like your front bed has the gas shocks and just raises up. Is that the case or did you add the gas shocks? My front bed (2015 36QBOK) is screwed down and has drawers in the front. To access the slide motor you have to unscrew the plywood.

2015 Sabre 36QBOK-7
2007 F-350 Diesel FX-4
China Grove,NC

Our old 34tbok had the drawers under the bed but out 16 34tbok doesn't have drawers but instead has the struts and open storage under the bed. I liked drawers better actually.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates55 View Post
Good eye. I totally missed that. This is on my list of "must do" things for the wife.

wentcamping, is it one piece of plywood then? Do you mind taking some pics of how it's all done?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:40 PM   #17

I will as soon as I get it back from the dealer. Had a few items I couldn't fix myself that I had to give in and take in for warranty. (Grey tank valve leaks and every time I take off the cap... and a few other gems)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #18

Dealer called me back today and told me that my converter is shot. They are ordering a replacement but he isn't sure if it will make it in time for our Yellowstone trip that starts 6/20...

I don't have my unit handy and this is the only pic I have of it but I was thinking of replacing it with the PD 9280 on my own if the warranty replacement doesn't come in time. But the reviews I'm reading say that the cord comes in a 20A plug. I don't think the back of my panel had a 20A outlet but instead a 15A.

Did you guys have to modify your panel in order to plug in the 9280 or was it a direct swap? Otherwise the 9270 has the 15A plug but will a 70A converter be enough?

The trailer is a Sabre 36QBOK (2015). I wish I had it back so that I could lay my hands on it and figure out what plug is on the back and what converter is installed...

(weird I thought this was already posted in this thread but now I can't find it...)

So the dealer has just a few items left to finish on our unit. They are even going to make my flames run the correct direction on my fireplace . Doesn't sound like I'll get it back in time for one last shake down trip before we leave on our Tetons-Yellowstone-Mt Rushmore trip though... So I hope they get it right the first time...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	110442  
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Good eye. I totally missed that. This is on my list of "must do" things for the wife.

wentcamping, is it one piece of plywood then? Do you mind taking some pics of how it's all done?
Sorry about the delay, I've been a bit frustrated. The new rig has been having more problems than I have time to spend fixing... But here are the strut assemblies. But they won't hold up the mattress, foam topper and the bed sheets/comforter as I found out. I thought it would until I had to remove the false floor to work on the slide motor again and I found out the hard way it will only hold it for a minute or so...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1890[1].jpg
Views:	157
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	116158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1891[1].jpg
Views:	169
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	116159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1893[1].jpg
Views:	156