Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #1

New Sabre 36BHQ Owner!

Just bought our first new fifth wheel. It looks really nice and will be way more functional for us now. Of course, 3 days of ownership and checking things out has lead me to some no so great things.

There is no toilet paper holder, no towel rack, or no hand towel rack.

One thing I didn't consider when looking at it...any ideas on the best ways of mounting of these things? The wall to the right of the toilet (sitting down) seems to be 100% hollow as it bows about 2-3 inches, and we don't want to just leave it out on the counter/cubby.

Why do we only have 20lb propane tanks on these units? I mean, I knew this going in, but coming from 2 30lbs is a bummer.

Why do half of the cabinets only have 1 latch on them? The door is bowed and is super easy to open because of this. Looking like I'm going to buy a few more latches, but I would've thought this is standard - especially in the bunkhouse. Big doors, 1 latch. I also wish the above couch storage had hinges that stayed open, its hard to get the stuff loaded/unloaded when you're holding the door open 7 feet above the ground.

Ugh, already experiencing some frustrations of things we didn't consider. Coming from a 2002 Sunnybrook 5er, we didn't have "soft" walls inside either which this new one is a bummer as it definitely feels "cheaper" inside - however I understand our budget wasn't $80k so I expect some of these things.

Anyway, I over-analyze everything anyway so I'm always finding more negatives than positives it seems with this sort of stuff. I'd appreciate any thoughts or tips that other owners have to help full time living go smoothly
senseiallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #2

First off congrats on your new camper!!!! Now to your questions , some brands do not mount your tp and towel holders as some people don't like where they do so some let you decide where to, are they maybe in a drawyer or cabinet? Walls being hollow is a weight and quality issue as you probably already know, same as the door latches, saving one per door sounds silly but multiple that over ALL they build to them adds cost.
The Sunnybrook was a very nice built trailer and in my opinion probably better built then the Sabre, no disrespect intended. Make the best of what you have and there is plenty of help offered on this board.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

We just picked up the same model. I don't know that anyone will endorse it, but I use metal self tapping anchors and am very careful not to overtighten or go anywhere there might be wires behind the walls. Of course, you never know where wires may be hidden.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
First off congrats on your new camper!!!! Now to your questions , some brands do not mount your tp and towel holders as some people don't like where they do so some let you decide where to, are they maybe in a drawyer or cabinet? Walls being hollow is a weight and quality issue as you probably already know, same as the door latches, saving one per door sounds silly but multiple that over ALL they build to them adds cost.
The Sunnybrook was a very nice built trailer and in my opinion probably better built then the Sabre, no disrespect intended. Make the best of what you have and there is plenty of help offered on this board.
No disrespect taken. I knew I was "trading down", but there are many positives of the new one. Larger bathroom, way more space, more storage, nicer appliances. In the end, the sunnybrook was great for 2 week max trips, but living full time wouldn't be great. Just things I don't like here and there. Always a bit of buyers remorse and "I wish it was xxx" sort of stuff.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

I am a fan of 3M Command products, especially the hooks. They also may toilet paper holders and towel bars. They fasten with removable adhesive.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMom2 View Post
I am a fan of 3M Command products, especially the hooks. They also may toilet paper holders and towel bars. They fasten with removable adhesive.
Great idea! I'll have to check that stuff out - always like the 3m no damage stuff myself.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #7

Toilet Paper and Alike, DYI

I favor the DIY method or tell the dealer where to place accessories assuming they come with the RV purchase. We found matching towel holders at W-mart and put them where we wanted, our preference.
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #8

So, we're off to a horrible start...

I opened up the awning for the first time yesterday. It extended all the way out and literally ripped out of the trailer. Absolutely no wind or anything, just extended and it ripped out. Talked to the dealer (160+ miles away) and forest river. FR says its wind damage and won't cover anything. I'm absolutely appalled at this response. I've been an rv user for over 10 years, I know better than to pull it out when it's super windy. No joke, this thing was out for 30 seconds tops.

The oven itself doesn't work. The stove does, but the oven won't light.

The shower bottom track is installed backwards, so when showering, the drain holes face the bathroom and not the shower itself.

Really beginning to regret my purchase here. Never had any problems with my old one. I just cannot believe this. $40+k and the awning rips off, then they based on photos have determined wind did it? I called the dealer within a minute of it happening and even took a photo of the flag pole showing absolutely no wind.

I'm at a loss for words and don't know what to do now. The dealer is trying but their hands seem tied too.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseiallen View Post
So, we're off to a horrible start...

I opened up the awning for the first time yesterday. It extended all the way out and literally ripped out of the trailer. Absolutely no wind or anything, just extended and it ripped out. Talked to the dealer (160+ miles away) and forest river. FR says its wind damage and won't cover anything. I'm absolutely appalled at this response. I've been an rv user for over 10 years, I know better than to pull it out when it's super windy. No joke, this thing was out for 30 seconds tops.

The oven itself doesn't work. The stove does, but the oven won't light.

The shower bottom track is installed backwards, so when showering, the drain holes face the bathroom and not the shower itself.

Really beginning to regret my purchase here. Never had any problems with my old one. I just cannot believe this. $40+k and the awning rips off, then they based on photos have determined wind did it? I called the dealer within a minute of it happening and even took a photo of the flag pole showing absolutely no wind.

I'm at a loss for words and don't know what to do now. The dealer is trying but their hands seem tied too.
That sucks about the awning, in my experience you need to be firm and persistent, just don't get crazy with them and you should get the problem resolved.

As far as the oven goes, are you sure it isn't airbound? For some reason it always takes forever for me to get the pilot lit. The oven will not light until you get that sucker going. I typically spend up to 10 minutes holding the knob in before the pilot will light. I know you aren't a newb, just offering a suggestion.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #10

Thanks man, just super frustrating that this happened. The dealer is really trying but their hands are tied too...I did tell them (Forest River) that it was ridiculous and they need to have warranty re-look at it because there was absolutely no wind. In fact, it looks like the bolts used were too small and the (rails?) bolted to the side slipped out after a few pulled out.

They said since screws are still in the side that it is wind damage. Its frustrating because I know what I'm doing, there was no wind and the awning literally fully extended then pulled itself out somehow. Its like the holes were stripped or something.

I thought there may have been air in it too but I can get the pilot to light but cant get the rest of the "stem" to start. If I hold a flame from a lighter to the stem it lights but won't "travel" down it. Thanks for the suggestion though, its possible it still has air in it I suppose, but with the furnace running and burners, typically (my old one) would light right up!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sounds like you are having issues that should have/could have been prevented with a good Customer Orientation/PDI at the dealer when you picked it up.

Did they not extend the awning, test the oven and all other appliances and devices with you present when you bought it? If not, shame on them.

Did they not indicate hanging toilet paper, towel racks and the like were up to your decisions. They should have pointed all this out to you.

I know you say you 'think' the dealer is trying and I'm not discounting any blame that should go back on FR but most of these things should have been checked by the DEALER and my experience is FR balks at some of these after sale requests because it really is something that should have been taken care of prior to customer delivery.

If the dealer is telling you their hands are tied, they are not in your corner.
I've seen first hand how our dealer communicated with the factory. I was in the office during several phone calls to the factory (on speaker phone) and knew exactly what the factory was suggesting. If what the factory suggested wasn't enough to solve the issues, my dealer stepped up and made it right.

I hope you get things resolved.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #12

Shame on me for that part, but no we didn't extend the awning or test appliances with me present. It was parked inside during a rainstorm and it wouldn't have been possible to extend the awning.

They definitely didn't rush me, but I didn't ask too many questions about this either.

The dealer is willing to pay for a remote repair person to come fix everything, but being 300 miles round-trip they don't want to come out which I don't blame them. The issue comes to warranty parts. I haven't had the chance to talk to them yet today about the warranty being denied however.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
...For some reason it always takes forever for me to get the pilot lit. The oven will not light until you get that sucker going. I typically spend up to 10 minutes holding the knob in before the pilot will light. I know you aren't a newb, just offering a suggestion.
9 minutes sir....I could always get the pilot to light but I had to wait 9 minutes and the tube finally lit. Got out a big flash light, there's clearly a thermocouple in there that I couldn't see...now why it took THAT long to heat it up to release enough gas is beyond me. Let it cool for an hour, tested again - almost 9 minutes exactly and it lit up fully again. At least that is 1 less thing broken

Unfortunately still getting nowhere so far with the awning, which is likely going to be my biggest issue. I'm just upset that I didn't validate everything at the dealer as I'm 1000% sure this would've happened in front of their eyes (maybe I could've gotten a better deal for the big scratch and dent that occurred after). Also I feel a bit insulted as they are 100% placing the blame on me and the wind (that wasn't there). I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong, but this isn't a case where I am wrong. I get the need to CYA as I'm sure they've had fraud cases before where people leave it out during a wind storm and have "no idea" how it happened.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #14

Hi. On our 2016 Sabre 5'er the TP holder is on the inside of the bathroom cabinet door. I'm assuming you've opened up the cabinet under the bathroom sink? Same thing in our 1/2 bath off the bunkroom. Ours had circular towel holder rings by the bathroom sinks, and towel holder over the door when we bought it new. Still want to add a couple more. Right now we hang bigger towel over the shower door, lol. Happy travels!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseiallen View Post
9 minutes sir....I could always get the pilot to light but I had to wait 9 minutes and the tube finally lit. Got out a big flash light, there's clearly a thermocouple in there that I couldn't see...now why it took THAT long to heat it up to release enough gas is beyond me. Let it cool for an hour, tested again - almost 9 minutes exactly and it lit up fully again. At least that is 1 less thing broken

Unfortunately still getting nowhere so far with the awning, which is likely going to be my biggest issue. I'm just upset that I didn't validate everything at the dealer as I'm 1000% sure this would've happened in front of their eyes (maybe I could've gotten a better deal for the big scratch and dent that occurred after). Also I feel a bit insulted as they are 100% placing the blame on me and the wind (that wasn't there). I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong, but this isn't a case where I am wrong. I get the need to CYA as I'm sure they've had fraud cases before where people leave it out during a wind storm and have "no idea" how it happened.
I never actually timed it, but 9 minutes sounds about where I'm usually at. I make sure I'm nice and comfy when I go to light it now because I know what to expect!

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
Always Learning

9 minutes seems like an incredibly long amount of time. I think I'd be contacting Suburban about this and see what their support folks say.

I'm more of a 1-2 minute man, myself! Wait.... that's not what I meant.......
Old 04-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #17

Do you have any pics of the awning you can share? I'd like to see how it failed so I can look for any warning signs on my 36bhq. So far, the awning is fine.

I'll test the burners next time we take it out and will let you k ow how long it takes to fire up.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #18

I've attached a photo of what happened.

As you can see, not all of the bolt holes were used on ours. 2 independent repair folks came out and said the same thing:
1) The holes are obviously stripped and show no wind damage (there is no fiberglass damage, etc.)
2) They are all confused as to why on arm has 3 screws in it and the other has all 5 (I believe) holes used.

The very top just had some caulking on it. There other 2 holes are easy to see. Where the bracket broke is where the 3rd hole is.

The top one completely missed the stud somehow, the bottom one was stripped out, the middle one seemed to be somewhat fastened. Both repair guys stated they do not know how it passed QA. I guess the way these work is it pushes back against the outside wall for support, which is likely why it split on the only bolt with a grip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180403_091557.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	168802  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #19

Oh it's the awning. I thought a slide fell out!
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitatjim View Post
Oh it's the awning. I thought a slide fell out!
No, that would really suck haha...hopefully that didnt curse anything :P

Finally making some progress today, but the dealer is taking care of it as FR is denying the claim still.

Tags
sabre