Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 07:47 AM   #1
Happy Camper

New Sabre, very leaky!

My brand new Forest River Sabre 37FLL leaks like a sieve. When I lifted the front end to get my hitch under it, this is what happened.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2qfWAecDjVu4XUxa7

About 1 gallon of water came out from the front of the RV.

I have two questions. First, what kind of damage would be caused by this RV staying wet inside for 3 months? Second, what would you do about this? I'm asking that they give me a new camper. One that does not leak. I am concerned about latent damage that might not even be evident until after the warranty expires, like rot and mold and mildew.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:30 AM   #2

Tony, there is a lot that could've been damaged by this water. Not only the underbelly walls and floors, but any electrical components and wiring may have been compromised. You'll need to get into the underbelly storage area and remove all wall access points to get a better idea of how much of the RV has been affected. Hopefully mold and mildew did not get into any of the underbelly, but only the dealer you bought it from would be best to verify that.

That said, you need to get this back to the RV dealer IMMEDIATELY to find out where the water intrusion happened and fix that problem. Once they get that done, they should be able to inform you if there was any extensive damage to any electrical components or mold or mildew. They'll replace anything damaged, providing this was not the result of any neglect or anything like that, which I'm sure is not.

Unfortunately, they will not agree to give you another RV, but will offer to fix the leak and repair any damages to the rig as a result.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:43 AM   #3

Tony, if this was truly a gallon of water that was dripping from the RV, its not that bad and have had that much and more in my new Sabre when I had problems with the docking station water hookups. My dealer attempted to fix it but still leaked everywhere, so I got under there and fixed it myself. The water connectors on the other side of the docking station were not tight enough and leaked at least a gallon or more all over the storage area under my FLH.

Right now, the important thing is to get the water out of there as soon as possible and get it drying. Remove everything in the storage areas in the underbelly, unscrew and remove all access panels in there and get a high power fan to assist with the drying process. IMPORTANT to take as many pictures as possible before you get all the water up so you can show the service techs at your dealership where the water was in the coach. Show them your video too, which should be helpful to them to figure out where the waters coming from.

Did you use the RV yet? Did you hook up the city water connection at your house? It may not have been wet for 3 months, depending on if you did anything with the water and sewer systems recently.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #4

You posted this on 3/17:
I thought I heard a regulator buzzing behind my docking station after I turned on some water. I am using my own regulator also, but I will stop using it if my Sabre had its own.

Did you find out what was buzzing. Maybe this is where the leak is coming from. Maybe its fresh water and not snow/ rain. I wouldn't be thrilled about water in any case but I'd be a lot less concerned if it were only in there for a few days. Good luck.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Tony, there is a lot that could've been damaged by this water. Not only the underbelly walls and floors, but any electrical components and wiring may have been compromised. You'll need to get into the underbelly storage area and remove all wall access points to get a better idea of how much of the RV has been affected. Hopefully mold and mildew did not get into any of the underbelly, but only the dealer you bought it from would be best to verify that.

That said, you need to get this back to the RV dealer IMMEDIATELY to find out where the water intrusion happened and fix that problem. Once they get that done, they should be able to inform you if there was any extensive damage to any electrical components or mold or mildew. They'll replace anything damaged, providing this was not the result of any neglect or anything like that, which I'm sure is not.

Unfortunately, they will not agree to give you another RV, but will offer to fix the leak and repair any damages to the rig as a result.
Thanks. They already have it.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
You posted this on 3/17:
I thought I heard a regulator buzzing behind my docking station after I turned on some water. I am using my own regulator also, but I will stop using it if my Sabre had its own.

Did you find out what was buzzing. Maybe this is where the leak is coming from. Maybe its fresh water and not snow/ rain. I wouldn't be thrilled about water in any case but I'd be a lot less concerned if it were only in there for a few days. Good luck.
I don't think so. It has not been hooked up to water since I've had it back home after our trip.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
Thanks. They already have it.

Please let us know what they find caused the leak and what was affected by it.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
Happy Camper

Quote:
Tony, if this was truly a gallon of water that was dripping from the RV, its not that bad and have had that much and more in my new Sabre when I had problems with the docking station water hookups. My dealer attempted to fix it but still leaked everywhere, so I got under there and fixed it myself. The water connectors on the other side of the docking station were not tight enough and leaked at least a gallon or more all over the storage area under my FLH.

Right now, the important thing is to get the water out of there as soon as possible and get it drying. Remove everything in the storage areas in the underbelly, unscrew and remove all access panels in there and get a high power fan to assist with the drying process. IMPORTANT to take as many pictures as possible before you get all the water up so you can show the service techs at your dealership where the water was in the coach. Show them your video too, which should be helpful to them to figure out where the waters coming from.

Did you use the RV yet? Did you hook up the city water connection at your house? It may not have been wet for 3 months, depending on if you did anything with the water and sewer systems recently.
I brought it home from a camping trip, leveled it, then we had a good rain. Two days later, I raised the front to get my hitch under it. Then the water came pouring out. No water hookup. Almost certainly came from the rain.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #9

Looks like rain got in behind that vinyl insert trim that runs across close to your stabilizer jacks just from your video.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapex View Post
Looks like rain got in behind that vinyl insert trim that runs across close to your stabilizer jacks just from your video.

I don't think so. There's nothing behind that bottom trim insert where the water is dripping on the side. And, the video clearly shows water dripping from just under the front storage area behind his hitch. That rain water is entering the coach somewhere else.

Tony, was there water in your basement storage areas and/or in the front storage behind your hitch?
Old 03-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #11

It's going to be a guessing game until you or the dealer determines the source. I would be extremely upset, because any water inside the RV has the potential to destroy it or make it unlivable in a worst case scenario. I'd be talking to the dealer and FR about a replacement, or a factory return to repair.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #12

I wouldn't be too upset yet. Similar to GPs37FLH, I also experienced water on the Coloplast due to leaky shower and bathroom sink drains.

I'd be more concerned about the path the water took than where it settled. I'd be sure the rv is in covered storage until the source of the leak is identified and fixed. Hopefully the dealer will locate it very soon.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
It's going to be a guessing game until you or the dealer determines the source. I would be extremely upset, because any water inside the RV has the potential to destroy it or make it unlivable in a worst case scenario. I'd be talking to the dealer and FR about a replacement, or a factory return to repair.

I would be very upset too if this turns out to be a leak from a window or roof area that worked its way into the belly of the RV. As I posted earlier though, the dealer will not replace the RV but will only offer to fix it. FR would be the only one to do that, but it'll be a nightmare to get them to agree without the assistance of an Attorney, and then, only after attempts to fix it by the dealership or FR did not work. And, FR will likely only agree to do a return to factory repair job if the dealership cannot find the leak and fix the problem satisfactorily.

Tony's best bet is for the dealership to determine the source of the leak, get it repaired and any water damage caused by it. The good news for him is that he discovered the water only a couple days after the hard rain, so it probably hasn't been in the RV long enough to cause mold and mildew, providing he got any remaining water in the underbelly cleaned up with a wet vac and dried with a fan.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #14
Happy Camper

They have removed the front cap and requested approval from Forest River to replace all of the wood and insulation up there in the nose. I am going to look at it tomorrow morning. I will post a link to pictures.
The dealer is Bankston Motor Homes in Huntsville, Alabama. Although they did a very poor job of preparing the camper for delivery, they do seem to be trying to repair the damage best they can.
This is their assessment:
Quote:
The transition strip between roof and side wall was cut by the factory due to curve of front of 5th wheel. It was improperly sealed and covered from factory. 2 locations 1 on each side. The water leaks into the track causing water to roll forward to front cap. Water collects when level and after extending front jack the water then rolls back and down the side walls to the underskirt.
I will collect all the pictures in this album:

Leaky photos and videos
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Old 04-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #15

Quote:
They have removed the front cap and requested approval from Forest River to replace all of the wood and insulation up there in the nose. I am going to look at it tomorrow morning. I will post a link to pictures.
The dealer is Bankston Motor Homes in Huntsville, Alabama. Although they did a very poor job of preparing the camper for delivery, they do seem to be trying to repair the damage best they can.
This is their assessment:

I will collect all the pictures in this album:

Leaky photos and videos

Wow!, that's really bad. I wouldn't be surprised if they found water damaged sidewalls too, especially if the water rolled back from the nose to the other parts of the RV beyond the living area. If there was water intrusion there, there's a good chance of mold developing in those areas.

Did they examine the other areas of the rig for water, other than the living area? What can they do to ensure mold does not develop?

It's going to take them a week to get FR to approve the work, then another two to three weeks to receive the ordered parts and materials, if they're available. Probably a final week to complete the repair, if all goes right. You're going to miss half of the camping season.

I would be upset beyond words with this and you probably have a very strong case to request replacing this RV, especially because its all due to the poor factory workmanship and attempted repair. They never should have attempted a repair, but should have replaced the transition strip. Unfortunately, you may have to secure the services of an Attorney to get that. But, you've put up a lot of money for this and this is just unacceptable, IMHO.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #16
Happy Camper

I added a video of the disassembled front area. The black frame is basically the chassis of the camper. Frame for the upper box is aluminum and sits on top of the black frame. Not sure how much of that you can see.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #17

Quote:
I added a video of the disassembled front area. The black frame is basically the chassis of the camper. Frame for the upper box is aluminum and sits on top of the black frame. Not sure how much of that you can see.

The water damage seems to be pretty extensive to the front end. What about the sidewalls and the storage area under the living room? Was there any water intrusion past the front living room area? How long is it estimated to be to get all this fixed and back to you?

Man, I'd be really pissed about this if I encountered all this damage due to a screwed up patch job at the factory. All I can say is you're doing an amazing job of holding it together.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #18
Happy Camper

Quote:
The water damage seems to be pretty extensive to the front end. What about the sidewalls and the storage area under the living room? Was there any water intrusion past the front living room area? How long is it estimated to be to get all this fixed and back to you?

Man, I'd be really pissed about this if I encountered all this damage due to a screwed up patch job at the factory. All I can say is you're doing an amazing job of holding it together.
I believe the damage is limited to what you saw. It could have been much worse. And they understand the depth of my unhappiness. I have made that VERY clear.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #19

Now I finally get it. I couldn't figure out how water was leaking out of the front of the underside of the basement when you lifted the trailer up.

Do you know how the water was getting in?
Old 04-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #20
Happy Camper

According to Bankston Motor Homes:

Quote:
The transition strip between roof and side wall was cut by the factory due to curve of front of 5th wheel. It was improperly sealed and covered from factory. 2 locations 1 on each side. The water leaks into the track causing water to roll forward to front cap. Water collects when level and after extending front jack the water then rolls back and down the side walls to the underskirt.

Tags
leak, sabre