RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #1

New to Sabre, question

We picked up a 2020 37flh about a month ago. I am trying to figure out if my water heater is gas/electric or just gas. Anyone know for sure? So far I can only get it to work on propane. But when I open the panel to the water heater I can see a thing labeled electric heating element.

There is also an on/off switch on the water heater back panel. Anyone know what that's for? I had hot water with that switch in either position.

I came from an open range TT that had individual switches for either gas or electric operation of the water heater. Easier to understand/use....This 5th wheel only has a single on/off swith in the kitchen for the water heater. Thanks for any help/info.
somdsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Need the make and model number of WH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #3

The switch in the water heater itself is very likely the electric. Share a pic or let us know model number. I have a 2018 Sabre and can turn water heater gas on from inside the camper and can turn the electric element on at the heater itself. I'm fairly certain yours is the same.

I think they put it in that location so its most likely to get turned off before draining. That's important. Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
The switch in the water heater itself is very likely the electric. Share a pic or let us know model number. I have a 2018 Sabre and can turn water heater gas on from inside the camper and can turn the electric element on at the heater itself. I'm fairly certain yours is the same.

I think they put it in that location so its most likely to get turned off before draining. That's important. Hope that helps.

You are correct, Skip12. I learned during my FLH walkthrough with the dealership the electric switch is on the water heater, not in the coach. Its been the same on Sabre's for the past few years now. Still, wish they'd just put it in the coach with the propane switch where most manufacturers put them, but I made the same mistake thinking it was propane-only WH on my first outing.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #5

Appreciate the info Skip and GP. I didn't think to grab a pic before I put it into storage yesterday. The manual for the water heater says it's from the SW10D family.

But what you described makes perfect sense. I'll give it a try next time I'm out.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #6

SW10D family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdsabre View Post
Appreciate the info Skip and GP. I didn't think to grab a pic before I put it into storage yesterday. The manual for the water heater says it's from the SW10D family.

But what you described makes perfect sense. I'll give it a try next time I'm out.
SW10D=propane only
SW10DE=propane and electric--switch on the outside, lower left, almost obscured behind the burner tube
SW10DEL=propane and electric-switch as above, plus connections for an indoor switch as well.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
SW10D=propane only
SW10DE=propane and electric--switch on the outside, lower left, almost obscured behind the burner tube
SW10DEL=propane and electric-switch as above, plus connections for an indoor switch as well.
Most likely SW10DE then, since there's a switch on the WH back panel. There was 4 different part numbers on the manual......
Old 08-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

Just to share one thing we learn (which might be pretty obvious). When you have the WH switched to electric, you don't need to turn on the water heater switch on the inside unless you want really hot water. We had the water heather switch on the inside turned on and the propane off and the DSI FLT light kept coming on. Obviously the water heater couldn't light without propane, but someone had to explain that to us.
cthousand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Still, wish they'd just put it in the coach with the propane switch where most manufacturers put them, but I made the same mistake thinking it was propane-only WH on my first outing.
I think it's all what you get used to. I prefer it on the right where it is. I turn electric on right after hooking up city water. I turn it off right before disconnecting city water.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdsabre View Post
We picked up a 2020 37flh about a month ago.
Congratulations! Can you please tell me if the dining table has an extension of any type? Thanks! Janice
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
BroncoLvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLvrs View Post
Congratulations! Can you please tell me if the dining table has an extension of any type? Thanks! Janice

I have one too and I wish it did, but unfortunately no extension. Table is kinda small and tight if you want to seat four adults. Only option I found is to purchase and install a replacement table that includes leaves to extend it. Ones I've found online are expensive (I believe they were anywhere between $400 to $600) so I'm just learning to live with the one that came with it.

If anyone out there knows of an alternative table that'll work, please let me know what else is out there.

I may just have to build one myself and figure out how to install it on the existing table.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #12

Thank you! I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
BroncoLvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #13

These are the ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
I have one too and I wish it did, but unfortunately no extension. Table is kinda small and tight if you want to seat four adults. Only option I found is to purchase and install a replacement table that includes leaves to extend it. Ones I've found online are expensive (I believe they were anywhere between $400 to $600) so I'm just learning to live with the one that came with it.

If anyone out there knows of an alternative table that'll work, please let me know what else is out there.

I may just have to build one myself and figure out how to install it on the existing table.
Here's a link to some 180-degree locking table extensions. All you need is a slab the same thickness as the original table. This piece flips under, flush with the bottom side of the table, or flips out and locks to extend the table.

Sorry, I found the links on Canadian Amazon, but they must be available in the US, too.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #14

I decided to make a table extension and install it myself. Went to Lowes and purchased a pre-cut and sanded piece of plywood that was just about the same dimensions of the table top extension. Also got color matched hinges and longer and larger diameter screws (5/8") that'll fit the hinge screw holes. Lastly, got some espresso satin wood stain with polyurethane in it and a finishing stain brush. Total bill just under $50.

To keep the table extension up when in use, I ordered a pair of metal drop leaf extension supports from Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for another $18.

Total cost of this is a lot less and easier install on the existing table than buying and installing a new table.

Thanks for the ideas!

Tags
sabre