Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2023, 11:00 AM   #1
Happy Camper

Sabre 37FLL: Safe to stand on slides?

Of course, I have two different types of slides. Has Forest River ever said whether they are safe to stand on? I weigh about 170 lbs. fully clothed.

I have never stood on one of mine, but it might be handy someday...
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:52 AM   #2

I'm assuming you mean stand on the roof of a slide. I have never seen anything about the weight limits of slide roofs, but then I've never looked.
I have stood on the front/back edge of a few as a step, but never placed my full weight on one, especially on the unsupported inside edge or middle. Most slide roofs I have seen when out (at an RV repair facility) are not very substantial.
In all my years of being around RVs, I've never had a need to actually get fully on a slide roof.
Will be interesting to see what others have experienced.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:15 PM   #3
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm assuming you mean stand on the roof of a slide. I have never seen anything about the weight limits of slide roofs, but then I've never looked.
I have stood on the front/back edge of a few as a step, but never placed my full weight on one, especially on the unsupported inside edge or middle. Most slide roofs I have seen when out (at an RV repair facility) are not very substantial.
In all my years of being around RVs, I've never had a need to actually get fully on a slide roof.
Will be interesting to see what others have experienced.
Yes, on the roof of the slides.

I thought it might be easier to get on the roof of the RV that way. More stuff to hold onto.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Team

The first year I took my Wildcat to the Goshen International Rally, a service technician Ray got on my bedroom slide out to fix a leak in the top and on my longer, wider kitchen slide out to caulk exposed screw heads. Ray weighed ~200 lbs., I’d say. I’ve put a foot on mine for balance but I haven’t stood on any of the 3.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78/'24 = 41; Booked for 2024 = 55
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 12:45 PM   #5

That's a really good question considering they did away with the ladder on the later 2022 models and beyond. I guess new rules required the ladder to be able to hold a significant amount of weight and forest river didn't want to re-engineer the back end to accommodate. The closet slide of the bedroom and the loft window above it would be a really good way to get up there and have also considered it.

Following...
TXAggie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:41 PM   #6
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAggie00 View Post
That's a really good question considering they did away with the ladder on the later 2022 models and beyond. I guess new rules required the ladder to be able to hold a significant amount of weight and forest river didn't want to re-engineer the back end to accommodate. The closet slide of the bedroom and the loft window above it would be a really good way to get up there and have also considered it.

Following...
I have a strong feeling that it was just a cost reduction. When I bought my 2021 model, all of the advertising materials still included the ladder. This is still a sore spot with me.
However, I can put a ladder on one of the slides (the kitchen one I think) and get up that way, just stepping on the edge of the slide before getting on the top of the RV. No problem doing it this way so far. I just want to make sure I do not damage the slide with the ladder.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:45 PM   #7

Loft

I also want to know if you can stand on the slides and would like to know if the loft is really safe place for the kids. What if a tree branch falls on the roof whoever is in there could get crushed.
GSULLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:03 PM   #8

Same if a tree falls on your house you could be crushed. A loft is just as safe as any other part of a camper. we have been camping 35 years and no tree or branch has ever hit our camper. Can it happen sure but the probability is slim.

Not so sure that I would stand on my slide though.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 02:58 PM   #9
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Same if a tree falls on your house you could be crushed. A loft is just as safe as any other part of a camper. we have been camping 35 years and no tree or branch has ever hit our camper. Can it happen sure but the probability is slim.

Not so sure that I would stand on my slide though.
I think I have a pretty good process. I use my ladder to get on a slide, then step on the slide near the edge to get on the top of the camper.

I feel much safer getting on the slide first, because I have other things to hold as I get up.

Friends of ours had a tree limb penetrate the top of their slide while they were camping. It was storming really bad and water came pouring in. They were able to get the slide closed so that stopped the water, at least.
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Old 08-01-2023, 03:51 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSULLY View Post
I also want to know if you can stand on the slides and would like to know if the loft is really safe place for the kids. What if a tree branch falls on the roof whoever is in there could get crushed.
Welcome to the forum, I see it is your 1st post.

In my experience, I would not put much weight on the slides and even then, only near the very edge and only when completely out. The slides sort of "float" in and out and can be finicky at best without weight possibly moving them.

As for whether it is safe for the kids... we could all put our tin foil hats on and quickly name two handfuls of things that "might" happen when camping.

Only you can make the determination for your kids but mine have slept in a 18" section above a cab-over truck camper... in pop-up ends with nothing but canvas above them... and in an open truck bed or on the ground, with nothing but a blanket over their heads. To this day, they are making their way through this world leading wonderful lives.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre, slide, slides