Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #21
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Tony, if your towing a rig that large with just a gas engine, you're towing well over the 5th wheel limits of that Silverado, which is less than 10K lbs.
Even with the 4.1 axle ratio, the most you can tow is 14K lbs, which once you pack, will be very close to maximum.

Check the towing specs of the truck yourself. Page 12 of the Chevy Trailer Guide.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ring-guide.pdf
I'm definitely still learning, but if I am under the payload and towing limits, please help me understand the issue.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #22
Happy Camper

Quote:
Having four tires on the rear axle makes a huge difference in the ride and especially in the control of the RV when traveling thru high cross-winds. Having towed 5'ers with both a three quarter ton single rear wheel, and now with my one ton dually, I'll never go back again given a choice.

I also noticed a huge difference in control of the RV on the interstate when passing or being passed by tractor trailers, as the wash of turbulence they generate batters the side of the RV. I've had past experiences like these where controlling the RV has been a white knuckler and unpleasant. But the dually has all but eliminated this issue, which is even more pronounced with a high profile 5'er like yours and mine.
You have an advantage over me, in that you have driven both types. Please be assured that I mean no disrespect.
I have driven my new rig in high wind and I have been passed by 18 wheelers with it. Although my travel trailer was not stable in these circumstances, I would say that the issue is completely gone now.
So, like I said, I could not imagine it being any more stable. Hopefully someday I will get a dually and find out for myself! I do have an 8-foot bed so maybe that helps.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
I'm very happy with the way it tows. If I was towing a heavy trailer every day, I would want a diesel engine. My gas engine will be working hard going up big hills, but it will get the job done and it is fine for 8 trips or so a year. I did not want a diesel for the way I use my truck.
The rig is extremely stable, and that is why I wanted a 5th wheel. Perhaps a dually is more stable, but it is hard to imagine anything being more stable than this.
My truck is maxed out under this scenario. If I bought a bigger RV, I would have to get a bigger truck to tow it. But it seems to be fine so far. My first real trip is this weekend and I will be towing the 37FLL over a mountain.
Quote:
I'm definitely still learning, but if I am under the payload and towing limits, please help me understand the issue.

It's not clear that you're under the truck's payload capacity, unless you got it weighed on a scale. You may or may not be under this weight limit. Only way to be sure is get it weighed with a full tank of gas, cargo loaded in it and all the folks that'll be in the truck with you.

As for the 5th wheel towing limits, you can see in Chevy's towing guide this depends on several factors (crew cab, drive train, etc.). However, the axle ratio makes the biggest difference. I assume your truck is equipped with a 4.1 and not a 3.73. The maximum trailer weight of a 5th wheel you can safely tow with the 3.73 is 9,800lbs max (which I find incredibly hard to believe), but is considerably more with the 4.1 (up to 14,400lbs). The weight of an empty FLL is almost 12,000lbs, but once you add cargo, can easily be almost 15,000lbs and exceed what you can safely tow.

Be careful on your trip this weekend and have lots of fun with it! Please let everyone know how the truck did once you get back.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #24

Quote:
You have an advantage over me, in that you have driven both types. Please be assured that I mean no disrespect.
I have driven my new rig in high wind and I have been passed by 18 wheelers with it. Although my travel trailer was not stable in these circumstances, I would say that the issue is completely gone now.
So, like I said, I could not imagine it being any more stable. Hopefully someday I will get a dually and find out for myself! I do have an 8-foot bed so maybe that helps.

No disrespect taken, man! Your experience with your truck is what matters and if your happy with the job its doing, good for you!

The longer wheel base does and will help you so you're lucky in that respect. My previous three quarter ton had a 6 3/4ft bed and shorter wheel base.

Too bad you live so far away, or I'd say take my dually for a spin with your FLL to see how it compares on a trip.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #25
Happy Camper

Quote:
It's not clear that you're under the truck's payload capacity, unless you got it weighed on a scale. You may or may not be under this weight limit. Only way to be sure is get it weighed with a full tank of gas, cargo loaded in it and all the folks that'll be in the truck with you.

As for the 5th wheel towing limits, you can see in Chevy's towing guide this depends on several factors (crew cab, drive train, etc.). However, the axle ratio makes the biggest difference. I assume your truck is equipped with a 4.1 and not a 3.73. The maximum trailer weight of a 5th wheel you can safely tow with the 3.73 is 9,800lbs max (which I find incredibly hard to believe), but is considerably more with the 4.1 (up to 14,400lbs). The weight of an empty FLL is almost 12,000lbs, but once you add cargo, can easily be almost 15,000lbs and exceed what you can safely tow.

Be careful on your trip this weekend and have lots of fun with it! Please let everyone know how the truck did once you get back.
Ok, you said I was over the limit but I am not, so I think I am good. I thought maybe I misunderstood the specifications. I am very impressed with the towing performance of the truck so far. I will post about my towing experience when I get back!
Old 02-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #26
Happy Camper

Quote:
No disrespect taken, man! Your experience with your truck is what matters and if your happy with the job its doing, good for you!

The longer wheel base does and will help you so you're lucky in that respect. My previous three quarter ton had a 6 3/4ft bed and shorter wheel base.

Too bad you live so far away, or I'd say take my dually for a spin with your FLL to see how it compares on a trip.
Yes, I bought this 3/4 ton truck with a long bed and rear end with the specific purpose of towing a fifth-wheel. It seems to be working well so far.

Tags
sabre