Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Sabre Television in Bedroom

I have a 2012 Sabre 34RLQS and I would like to mount the TV above the window in the bedroom. If anyone else has done this could you please post pictures and explanation of install. I do not know if I have the backer in the wall or not.
okietom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #2

About to do that

I am going to install my 24 inch TV above the bedroom window in my 32RCTS-6 tomorrow. I searched quite a bit to find a mount that would be sturdy enough to ensure the TV would be secure in travel. So many mounts just don't lock in place. I also wanted it to be able to tilt down. I didn't care about extending out as the bedroom is small. In my rig there is a sticker telling me that there is indeed a backer board. I also have electric and coax hookup in the ceiling above the window. I would imagine that a stud finder will let you know if there is a backer board. Try banging on the wall listening for a solid hit. Short of that you might need to find a stud or put a board spanning to studs in order to get stability.

I ordered the MAX-Q TVA-3012 LCD TV Bracket, Variable angle from American RV Company. Don't know if the link below will work or not. They have several different MAX-Q models.

MAX-Q TVM-3012 LCD TV Bracket Standard Variable Angle Wall Mount Flat Panel Camper Trailer RV

I mounted the bracket to the TV this weekend and it looks good and very sturdy. Just make sure the mounting holes for your TV match the mount. I plan on using 5, 1 inch lag bolts to mount to the wall. I will pop some pictures tomorrow and post them.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Name:   image-2258262980.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  39.1 KB

This is ours installed...19" TV, just enough room to slide unit upwards out of bracket without touching ceiling (I don't trust tv on wall while mobile)got specific layout dimensions from this forum under the "ask the Sabre factory rep...", do a search & see if it'll help you out...might be different on other models?!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Name:   image-2717249368.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  16.1 KB

This is the mounting hardware I used...

Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #5

TV Blocking

Even with the blocking you don't trust a small light TV during travel with a stable mount? What do you do with the big TV in the living area while underway? Not Criticizing, just wondering if I am missing something as I prepare to mount mine.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Even with the blocking you don't trust a small light TV during travel with a stable mount? What do you do with the big TV in the living area while underway? Not Criticizing, just wondering if I am missing something as I prepare to mount mine.
Thanks for asking- I had the same question. Just wasn't sure how to word it without sounding snarky.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

Snarky

I think I sounded "Snarky" anyway, but don't mean to be.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

I don't see the backing in the LR as stout as the BR, reason I don't trust leaving BR TV up while traveling.

Sabre had to design the backing during the build to accomodate the weight of the 32"-40" tv for this area...I bet you the backing in the BR is much more non substantial than the LR...also noted, SabreSam has recommended keeping very light & small with the BR TV installs.

There's my reasoning...hope it helps with your decisions

Old 10-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

Thanks

I think you meant the BR as stout as the LR. Either way that is good info to have. Seems strange given the same type of stud distancing that FR would go through the trouble of having different blocking. I think I would worry if it was bouncing up/down on an arm during travel more than a fixed mount. I will let you know if mine falls down.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #10

Cajun might have a point. But now we have data.

I posted the following question and received the following answer from Gary Grigsby of FR. There is also a drawing attached that he sent me. It calls out what I read as a quantity of 2, 3 inch EGS Backers. Does anyone know what "EGS" is. This drawing is really good info.

Question: One additional question. Do you think there is any issue mounting a 9 pound TV on the bedroom backer board above the window in the 32RCTS? The TV will be on a rigid mount and not bouncing around. I intend to attach the mount with 5 one inch lag bolts. Someone stated the blocker in the living room is more robust than the bedroom.

Answer:
Here is the location of the backers in the bedroom wall. We put a 24" TV in the bedroom. I would not do any bigger than this. I think it weighs around 9 pounds
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV BACKER.pdf (46.2 KB, 203 views)

Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Always Learning

This prime time brochure refers to EGS backers.

http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...tHighlight.pdf
ETERNABOND Feature EGS Backers in Walls and Floors

Crusader’sare laminated with electrogalvanized sheet metal backer plates in the walls and floors to provide for strong, secure anchor points for cabinets and interior walls. This picture shows EGS backer above a window that will provide an anchor point for an overhead cabinet
Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #12

Metal?

So am I to understand that EGS is Metal? Should I be using metal screws to attach the TV mount instead of Lag bolts?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder
I posted the following question and received the following answer from Gary Grigsby of FR. There is also a drawing attached that he sent me. It calls out what I read as a quantity of 2, 3 inch EGS Backers. Does anyone know what "EGS" is. This drawing is really good info.

Question: One additional question. Do you think there is any issue mounting a 9 pound TV on the bedroom backer board above the window in the 32RCTS? The TV will be on a rigid mount and not bouncing around. I intend to attach the mount with 5 one inch lag bolts. Someone stated the blocker in the living room is more robust than the bedroom.

Answer:
Here is the location of the backers in the bedroom wall. We put a 24" TV in the bedroom. I would not do any bigger than this. I think it weighs around 9 pounds
Since the backers are sheet metal NOT wood, I believe you'd be better served using self tapping screws, not coarse threaded lag bolts used for timbers
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #14

More input from Gary Grigsby

Question to Gary:

So I believe this EGS is "Metal? Should I be using metal screws instead of lag bolts to attach the mount. Looks like you guys used Lag bolts ( I might be mistaken) in the living area for the 32 inch.

A bit confusing for us.....

Gary's answer:

I do believe that you should use metal screws. The bedroom area is different than the living area. The living area actually goes into wood.

I ended up using 1 inch self taping screws and indeed I did get metal shavings on each screw installation. Nice to know the living area has wood backer. I pulled a bolt off my living area mount and it was a 1.5 inch lag bolt.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #15

I installed a 26" that weighs 11ish pounds and have had no issues....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #16

I also installed an 24" LG LED in bedroom. It weighs 7.8 lbs. I used a Rocketfish mount (model RF-TVMLPT01) which locks and allows for downward tilting. I only used 2 sheet metal screws to secure it to the frame stud (no backer plate on my 2012 32RCTS). I have added adjustable tie-down straps for all 3 of my TVs (32" LR, 24" BR & 24" outside pass thru storage) and they travel just fine and have not ever fallen.

2012 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS-6
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty Fx4 6.7 Powerstroke
16K PullRite SuperGlide
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags
Cyoul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post

Answer:
Do you happen to know if this is the same on the 2013 32RCTS as well?
I'm thinking about doing this same mod. Thanks
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #18

Hey DOC;

I wouldn't want to stake my wall on when FR cut in the backing. The drawing is dated 1/29/13. My registration says mine is a 2014 (but who really knows) & who knows when they cut the backing in or if they had some different backer prior to the drawing. I was pre wired for a TV in the bedroom and a TV was offered as an option which I declined so I was fairly sure I had some backer. I also used a stud finder and it worked very well in locating it whereabouts. Give that a shot. By the way I used metal screws instead of lag bolts.

To be certain I would ask Gary Grigsby if the drawing applied. Include your VIN# and he might be able to determine a build date. If you go to the Palamino WEB page, contact us and click Sabre/service warranty the question will most probably go directly to Gary. He usually responds quickly.

Good Luck and have a happy NY.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 PM   #19

Used the Moryde Tv bracket for 20" tv over the window. Used the drawing that Gary supplied and the backers were right there. 2 3" strips centered over the window. Needed a good 1/8" drill bit to make the starter holes. TV is secure and up off the dresser.
Powellr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #20

What is EGS?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, roo, sabre, television