Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Your call. I don't have a problem carrying them. In fact, I have about five at the big trailer in Virginia--shuttle them back to Costco in Raleigh to fill them--and two on the little trailer in Raleigh. All are indeed full.

I worked my way through undergraduate school (and the last two years of high school) delivering newspapers. Part of the job was stocking the retail outlets. Some of the bigger stores took a stack as high as my waist. I learned a healthy respect for taking care of my back and still do--never jerk; if you can't lift it slowly, it's too heavy. I can still carry my 73 lb. steel Harbor Freight 3-ton jack from the basement at 76 years old, and I can probably still manage an 80 lb. bundle of shingles or 80 lb. bag of Sakrete, although I haven't done so for a couple of years.

Larry, does the Raleigh Costco actually fill empty tanks, or are you referring to them swapping out 20 pounders? Never thought of using Costco but probably very reasonable.

Every time I've needed to fill empty tanks, I normally go to the U-Haul on New Bern Ave. They usually only charge about $15, or so to fill a 20lb tank.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Yep, thank you, thought of that too. The good part of checking the fit of the new one I just ordered is it'll be empty. They're too damn heavy when full to be going in and out of that small space several times, trying to make it fit.

If I can manage to move the regulator enough, I think I can get it to work, but it'll be tight for sure. It appears it's mounted with just a couple of sheet metal screws into the back wall. If I successfully get it in on the drivers side, Lowes will be getting another order for one from me.
Mine is. It should be easy to move.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:39 PM   #23

Larry, feel you pain about wrestling tanks in tight place. Have you considered installing an extend a stay valve. With it and a few feet of hose, you could leave 30# on the ground once you set up. Have seen a couple of full timers use them, easy to transport and set up after refills.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Larry, feel you pain about wrestling tanks in tight place. Have you considered installing an extend a stay valve. With it and a few feet of hose, you could leave 30# on the ground once you set up. Have seen a couple of full timers use them, easy to transport and set up after refills.

My name is actually Greg, but I've been known to have been called much, much worse than this!

I've considered just hooking up to a tank outside the RV with an extra long propane hose. I simply don't want to have to lift in and out of my truck a 30lb tank. I have herniated disks, so I have to be very careful when lifting heavy stuff and just try to avoid it altogether, whenever I can. If I do have to go that route, I'll just throw a lighter 20 pounder in back of the truck.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-24-2022, 07:34 PM   #25

We have the same rig, and like you were a little disappointed with the 20lb'ers. My first thought was to try to put a 30lb in there, but the more I looked at it and thought about it the more I decide it wasn't worth the aggro! The old rig had 30Lb tanks, and they were becoming a handful to lift up into position, the thought of lifting the 30lb tank and trying to get it into the confined space decided me against the idea!

As a reference point, this weekend in Alabama was cold, down to 26 one night and 28 on the others with daytime highs between 36 and 42 (what global warming???). We started off on Friday morning with 100% in both tanks and finished up Monday morning with 15% in one tank and the other empty.
ex-egll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post
We have the same rig, and like you were a little disappointed with the 20lb'ers. My first thought was to try to put a 30lb in there, but the more I looked at it and thought about it the more I decide it wasn't worth the aggro! The old rig had 30Lb tanks, and they were becoming a handful to lift up into position, the thought of lifting the 30lb tank and trying to get it into the confined space decided me against the idea!

As a reference point, this weekend in Alabama was cold, down to 26 one night and 28 on the others with daytime highs between 36 and 42 (what global warming???). We started off on Friday morning with 100% in both tanks and finished up Monday morning with 15% in one tank and the other empty.

Yeah, my initial thinking was exactly like yours. And, potentially VERY aggravating trying to get 30 pounders into those storage bays. Especially with full tanks.

Got a notification that the new tank shipped last night, so we'll see by end of this week how easy or difficult this project is going to be. I'll be sure to update everyone, cause I know we're not the only two disappointed with 20 pounders for such a large RV.

Although we don't do any winter camping like you, my concerns with having smaller tanks stems from increased propane use on our water heater. Many places we plan to visit later this year have 50amp shore power, but with the increasing number of campers and over-crowded campgrounds, we're likely going to have to settle for some 30amp site reservations. I believe all NC state parks also only offer 30amp shore power.

I just got a pair of Micro-Air Easy Start's for my AC's so I can run both units on 30amp power, once installed. But, using electric only on my water heater with both AC units running will still put me over the limit, while connected to a 30amp pole.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #27

I have a Sabre 37FBT which is also about 43’ long, and like yours has two of the 5-gallon tanks with similar issues of limited space in the tank bays. My solution was to just buy two spare 5 gallon tanks. I swap out one when the regulator goes red, then the second one a few days later, as the propane gets used. I then go to a local farm & garden store here in Oregon and get the two tanks refilled and ready to go when needed. We are only heating and do limited cooking with propane; I heat my water using the electricity. Right now, with overnight lows in the lower 30’s and highs in the 40-50 degree range, I’ll use a 5-gallon tank about every 3-4 days, so I’m only going for refills about once a week. Typically they’ll put about 9.2 gallons in the two tanks. FWIW, the current price here is $2.75 per gallon - this particular place is the cheapest in town.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
My TT came with 2 30# tanks back in 2015. I have filled then many many times. Almost all can be refilled. It’s when you get to the larger, say 100# tanks that a propane dealer or who ever comes to you to refill them. Also note the trade in 20# tanks, your kinda getting screwed as they only put 15# in them for around $20. I refilled one of our 20# yesterday for $13. Anyway, I’d much rather have the 30# over the 20# if they’d fit..

20 lb tanks hold 4 gallons, or 17lbs. The exchange tanks are a joke. I'd rather have my tanks refilled. At least I know the condition of the tank and valves. All those companies do is repaint over rust.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac1978 View Post
I have a Sabre 37FBT which is also about 43’ long, and like yours has two of the 5-gallon tanks with similar issues of limited space in the tank bays. My solution was to just buy two spare 5 gallon tanks. I swap out one when the regulator goes red, then the second one a few days later, as the propane gets used. I then go to a local farm & garden store here in Oregon and get the two tanks refilled and ready to go when needed. We are only heating and do limited cooking with propane; I heat my water using the electricity. Right now, with overnight lows in the lower 30’s and highs in the 40-50 degree range, I’ll use a 5-gallon tank about every 3-4 days, so I’m only going for refills about once a week. Typically they’ll put about 9.2 gallons in the two tanks. FWIW, the current price here is $2.75 per gallon - this particular place is the cheapest in town.

Really like your FBT. Not all that different from my FLH. I already have a 30 pounder in route and should be delivered Monday, so I'll see how easy or difficult it'll be to do this upgrade. I'll let you know how it goes so maybe it'll give you an alternative to carrying around spare tanks too.

I really want to avoid having to throw extra tanks in the back of my truck if I don't have to and why I'd rather have the 30 pounders. When we go on trips, I normally have the bed of my truck loaded up with plastic dog fencing that takes up a lot of space. Once I also throw in the back a few other odds and ends items we also bring, it doesn't leave much room for anything else.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:52 AM   #30

They actually fill them

Quote:
Larry, does the Raleigh Costco actually fill empty tanks, or are you referring to them swapping out 20 pounders? Never thought of using Costco but probably very reasonable.

Every time I've needed to fill empty tanks, I normally go to the U-Haul on New Bern Ave. They usually only charge about $15, or so to fill a 20lb tank.
Costco actually METERS and FILLS your tank. You only pay for what you get, unlike a swap. Fair price if you bring in a half-full one to be topped off. They fill 20lb. ones, 30s, 100s strapped to the back of taco trucks, etc. The last time I looked, it was right around $10 to fill an empty 20 lb. cylinder (per the standard 80% rule).

The bad news is that once your tank goes out of date, they won't swap it. Easy to swap a 20 pounder at Walmart, etc. but the 30s are tricky. You used to be able to get them recertified at Ferrellgas (near the Fairgrounds) or AmeriGas in Garner, but after COVID-19 they no longer accept ANY walk-in customers. What you do is make an order (online or by phone) to MyPropaneButler.com. You tell them where the tanks are and they come to your house and do a swap. I always add a note saying "We don't want to be empty in a rural area that only does refills, so make sure the expiration date is far in the future. It's more expensive, close to $40 for a full 30 lb. tank.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Costco actually METERS and FILLS your tank. You only pay for what you get, unlike a swap. Fair price if you bring in a half-full one to be topped off. They fill 20lb. ones, 30s, 100s strapped to the back of taco trucks, etc. The last time I looked, it was right around $10 to fill an empty 20 lb. cylinder (per the standard 80% rule).

The bad news is that once your tank goes out of date, they won't swap it. Easy to swap a 20 pounder at Walmart, etc. but the 30s are tricky. You used to be able to get them recertified at Ferrellgas (near the Fairgrounds) or AmeriGas in Garner, but after COVID-19 they no longer accept ANY walk-in customers. What you do is make an order (online or by phone) to MyPropaneButler.com. You tell them where the tanks are and they come to your house and do a swap. I always add a note saying "We don't want to be empty in a rural area that only does refills, so make sure the expiration date is far in the future. It's more expensive, close to $40 for a full 30 lb. tank.
Tractor supply here will swap out 30's but the first one has an extra $20 per tank charge because they're not their cans.
0rion100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #32
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Really like your FBT. Not all that different from my FLH. I already have a 30 pounder in route and should be delivered Monday, so I'll see how easy or difficult it'll be to do this upgrade. I'll let you know how it goes so maybe it'll give you an alternative to carrying around spare tanks too.

I really want to avoid having to throw extra tanks in the back of my truck if I don't have to and why I'd rather have the 30 pounders. When we go on trips, I normally have the bed of my truck loaded up with plastic dog fencing that takes up a lot of space. Once I also throw in the back a few other odds and ends items we also bring, it doesn't leave much room for anything else.
Once you determine if you're going to use it, make sure whomever fills it the first time does a proper purge of a new tank

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Yep, thank you, thought of that too. The good part of checking the fit of the new one I just ordered is it'll be empty. They're too damn heavy when full to be going in and out of that small space several times, trying to make it fit.

If I can manage to move the regulator enough, I think I can get it to work, but it'll be tight for sure. It appears it's mounted with just a couple of sheet metal screws into the back wall. If I successfully get it in on the drivers side, Lowes will be getting another order for one from me.
Speaking of those sheet metal screws, make sure they are off-center as within a year one had worn its way through my cylinder. MFG replaced the cylinder, I remounted the straps. Could have been a disaster if not caught! Pre-Trip inspections and all...
2014 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L
Marv n Mabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv n Mabel View Post
Speaking of those sheet metal screws, make sure they are off-center as within a year one had worn its way through my cylinder. MFG replaced the cylinder, I remounted the straps. Could have been a disaster if not caught! Pre-Trip inspections and all...

Yeah, I was just inside the propane tank storage bay and discovered they installed a support bracket that's also fastened with a self tapping sheet screw to the wall opposite the door. The top handle area of the tank is then connected to that steel support bracket with a bolt and wing nut to keep the upper part of the tank in place while travelling. And, I noticed the support strap that goes around and fastened to the tanks are mounted kinda low. So, not only am I gonna need to move the regulator on the drivers side, I'm gonna move the upper support bracket on both sides of the storage compartment too. Brother!
Old 01-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Once you determine if you're going to use it, make sure whomever fills it the first time does a proper purge of a new tank

Well, I got the tank earlier than expected. I just got done doing a dry fit in the passenger side storage compartment. I was surprised to find it fits better than I thought it would. No where near as tight as I thought it was going to be.

Thanks for the helpful tip! The OPD valve has a big 'ole "Vacuum Purged" sticker on it, so it appears Flame King tanks are ready to be filled immediately, which is good to know.

Gonna order another one from Lowes right away before the prices go up on 'em again.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #36

Just in case anyone else reading this is looking to do the same upgrade, I just found the same Flame King 30lb tanks I got from Lowes also in stock at Wal-Mart for only $68.00.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:16 PM   #37

Propane tanks

I hope the 30lb tank fits in your cubby. If you swap out tanks like a 20lb, you only get 15lbs of propane due to travel regulations(Home Depot, Lowes, gas stations, ect) Getting the tank refilled is the best bet for your dollar. Last year I purchased a new Flame King 30lb tank from Amazon for $59.99. The price really jumped over the last year... My expiration date was due this year and didn't want to pay to have it Re certified!
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:52 AM   #38

So, for those wondering if the Sabre's can accommodate a 30lb tank, I can say with confidence, it will work (at least on the passenger side).

Yesterday, I removed the passenger side 20 pounder, removed the support bracket for the top of the tank, drilled a pilot hole about 8 inches or so higher than where it was originally mounted and moved it. Had plenty of room to put the tank in and secure it to the new, higher support bracket location. Also had plenty of hose to reach the tank.

Be mindful in getting the tank bottom centered on the metal shelf it sits on. The metal shelf on mine is just a we bit larger than the bottom of the tank. Other than that, its wide open to the ground for ventilation. You can move the support strap that goes around the bottom of the tank if you have a problem getting it centered on that shelf, but mine was close enough so I didn't bother with it.

The tank for the driver side will be here next week. I anticipate it'll not be as easy an install on this side because the regulator and valve switch are mounted there.

More to come next week.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:55 PM   #39

Final Follow-Up!

I finally received a second 30lb tank and last Friday successfully installed it in the drivers side storage bay. Everything inside the storage bay had to be unscrewed and unmounted from the back wall, opposite the door. This included not only the regulator and tank switch, but also the upper support bracket for the top of the tank, and the hinged support strap for the bottom of the tank.

Because of the layout and orientation of the storage bays and supports the tanks sit on, the side of the bay facing the front of the RV (if you're looking inside the door) have more room than the side that goes to the rear of the RV. This is because the supports that the tanks sit on aren't centered inside the bays.

So, I remounted the regulator and tank switch to the left side of the wall opposite the drivers side door. Plenty of room to get a hand in there to access the regulator and switch tanks from one side to the other. Also remounted the upper support bracket for the tank on the left side since there's more space to work with. Finally, I flipped the hinged support strap 180 degrees and remounted it so it opens and closes from the left, rather than right side, where it opened and closed before.

Both larger tanks are now tightly secured inside the storage bays and ready to go!
Old 02-14-2022, 06:02 PM   #40

Great! Glad to hear that it worked out for you.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank