Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 07:57 PM   #1

Upgrading To Larger Propane Tanks

Ok, so one question has been nagging me about my Sabre 37FLH since I got it that I'm just remembering to ask everyone. I want to upgrade the 20lb propane tanks to 30lb, but not confident they'll fit in the tank storage under the RV. I did measure the tank storage bay and appears to be just big enough, but I don't want to go thru the hassle and expense to order new ones, only to find out the fit is too tight and can't be done.

I understand the logic behind FR going down to 20lb tanks (reduced cost and common availability of swapping out empty 20lb tanks just about anywhere), but I'd rather have the larger ones that can be refilled. I know I can just throw an additional 20lb tank in the back of the truck and be done with it, but it'd just be a big pain in the ash I'd rather not have to remember each time we go camping.

Any comments with recommendations or experiences of those that've done this would be greatly appreciated.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
, but I'd rather have the larger ones that can be refilled. .
I don't know about if they'd fit.... but you CAN refill 20 lb tanks. We did it all the time with out tt. Any propane dealer and most private campgrounds can refill them
Old 01-20-2022, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I don't know about if they'd fit.... but you CAN refill 20 lb tanks. We did it all the time with out tt. Any propane dealer and most private campgrounds can refill them

My TT came with 2 30# tanks back in 2015. I have filled then many many times. Almost all can be refilled. It’s when you get to the larger, say 100# tanks that a propane dealer or who ever comes to you to refill them. Also note the trade in 20# tanks, your kinda getting screwed as they only put 15# in them for around $20. I refilled one of our 20# yesterday for $13. Anyway, I’d much rather have the 30# over the 20# if they’d fit..
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #4

Thanks! Yes, I know not to trade in the 20lb'ers for refilled Blue Rhino's, except when its your only option. Its a good selling point for using smaller tanks. But, I normally take all my tanks to a nearby U-Haul store to have them refilled for about $15 and they fill them far more than what you get when you trade them in.

When we use the RV tho, we use the propane frequently and I just don't want to have to either trade them in or get them filled every other camping trip. The 20lb tanks are useless with a larger RV with five sinks, a full size shower, furnace, etc. that'll go thru propane much faster than a smaller RV.

The main reason I'm going to be using more propane in the future (and thus wanting bigger tanks) is I'm installing Micro-Air EasyStart's for my two AC units so they both run on a 30Amp connection when 50Amp is not available. I'm going to need to use propane instead of electric to heat the hot water tank. Normally, I'd just use electric to heat the water, but doing that with the amperage draw of two AC's will be too much.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Ok, so one question has been nagging me about my Sabre 37FLH since I got it that I'm just remembering to ask everyone. I want to upgrade the 20lb propane tanks to 30lb, but not confident they'll fit in the tank storage under the RV. I did measure the tank storage bay and appears to be just big enough, but I don't want to go thru the hassle and expense to order new ones, only to find out the fit is too tight and can't be done.

I understand the logic behind FR going down to 20lb tanks (reduced cost and common availability of swapping out empty 20lb tanks just about anywhere), but I'd rather have the larger ones that can be refilled. I know I can just throw an additional 20lb tank in the back of the truck and be done with it, but it'd just be a big pain in the ash I'd rather not have to remember each time we go camping.

Any comments with recommendations or experiences of those that've done this would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have a camping friend that would let you borrow one to try?

Do you know the folks at the U-Haul place well enough that they'd let you temporarily take a 30 Lb. tank (even an old outdated one) home to try/fit while they keep your 20 Lb. as collateral?

Could you possibly tow your R/V to a LP dealer and try one for size?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:14 AM   #6

Quote:

20 and 30 lbs tanks are the same dia the 30 only being taller . take a measurement of the height of a 30 and you should be able to figure it out from there
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
20 and 30 lbs tanks are the same dia the 30 only being taller . take a measurement of the height of a 30 and you should be able to figure it out from there
Yeah, I'm not worried about the diameter, only the height. Thank you for pointing out that I failed to mention that fact. I did measure inside of the tank storage bay and compared it to the measurements of one for sale on Amazon. The height measurements are very close and looks to be a very tight fit. So much so, it may be difficult to remove if I can get it in there and no room to access the tank valve with your hand from above. Think I'm going to need to measure again this morning to verify.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Do you have a camping friend that would let you borrow one to try?

Do you know the folks at the U-Haul place well enough that they'd let you temporarily take a 30 Lb. tank (even an old outdated one) home to try/fit while they keep your 20 Lb. as collateral?

Could you possibly tow your R/V to a LP dealer and try one for size?

Thanks for some of the suggestions! Unfortunately, none of my friends or neighbors have an RV to borrow one to see. And, with my RV approaching 43 feet, driving it 20+ miles to the nearest LP dealer isn't in the cards either. Great suggestions, none the less.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #9

Don't know if it will help you or not but I just measured my 30# tanks and they are 24.5 inches tall.

2012 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS-6
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty Fx4 6.7 Powerstroke
16K PullRite SuperGlide
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags
Cyoul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyoul8r View Post
Don't know if it will help you or not but I just measured my 30# tanks and they are 24.5 inches tall.

Sounds about right, and thank you for checking!....ones on Amazon say they're 24 inches high.

I measured the storage bays again and the cavity goes up beyond the top of the door opening a good bit. The door opening to the storage area is only 21.5 inches high, so it'll require a bit of putting it thru the door on an angle to get it inside. One major issue is the propane regulator mounted on the drivers side compartment which sits squarely in the middle on the compartment wall opposite the door (pictures below). Looks like I may be able to move it further up and to the right side out of the way so the tank will fit. Since there's no regulator on the passenger side compartment or other visible impediments, getting one installed on that side definitely looks more promising.

I may just have to bite the hog in the ass and order one to see if all this is possible. Can't believe FR wouldn't have just a wee bit of forethought to make 'em big enough to accommodate a bigger tank....Wait....What was I thinking?....That's right, we're talking about FR, so there's no possibility of thinking involved.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:55 PM   #11

If you ever in the Charlotte area....I can pull one of my 30LB tanks off and you can give it a try
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
If you ever in the Charlotte area....I can pull one of my 30LB tanks off and you can give it a try

Really appreciate the offer....Thank you!

I just ordered a 30 pounder from Lowes for $80.00. Man, hard to believe the same tank on Amazon was going for about $75.00 when I began looking at upgrading these six or seven months ago. Same tank is now $105.00 at Amazon. They should also fill it for that price! Thought prices may've gone up some, but not that much. I need to get this done before it gets even more expensive (which it probably will).

Should have the tank by next weekend, so I'll let everyone know if it works out or not to maybe help others thinking about doing the same thing.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:29 PM   #13

Just to provide some reading I went and measured mine real quick that has 30# tanks in it. Keep in mind....it's dark and 15 degrees outside so I didn't spend a ton of time getting super accurate measurements but slapping a quick tape on it I got 23.25" door opening at the shortest point and 27.5" from "ceiling" of the box to the base where the tanks sit. Not sure that helps you or adds anything but just gives you an idea of size with 30# tanks. IMO at those sizes they're still a pain the wrestle in there when full. I normally picture me catching a finger in there somewhere but as of yet I've been lucky.
0rion100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:33 PM   #14

Come on by

Quote:

Come on by the house and I'll let you borrow one of ours, test-fit it, and return it.

(We just live a few miles apart.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:38 PM   #15

Another thought I had is that you could just replace the tank that doesn’t have the regulator and continue to use the 20# one on the side with the regulator.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMom2 View Post
Another thought I had is that you could just replace the tank that doesn’t have the regulator and continue to use the 20# one on the side with the regulator.

Yep, thank you, thought of that too. The good part of checking the fit of the new one I just ordered is it'll be empty. They're too damn heavy when full to be going in and out of that small space several times, trying to make it fit.

If I can manage to move the regulator enough, I think I can get it to work, but it'll be tight for sure. It appears it's mounted with just a couple of sheet metal screws into the back wall. If I successfully get it in on the drivers side, Lowes will be getting another order for one from me.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Come on by the house and I'll let you borrow one of ours, test-fit it, and return it.

(We just live a few miles apart.)

Thank you very much, Larry! The more I thought of asking someone nearby to borrow one to test fit, the more my back said "NO!". It's been a while since I've lifted a full 30lb'er in an out of those storage bays.

I think the safer choice to save my herniated disks from further injury is just buying and dry fitting with a new, empty tank. Really appreciate your offer tho!
Old 01-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #18

Quote:
... I understand the logic behind FR going down to 20lb tanks (reduced cost and common availability of swapping out empty 20lb tanks just about anywhere), ...
I think weight may be large factor in their decision. In Ultra-Lite trailers, everything has to be considered.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:02 AM   #19

Your call

Quote:
Thank you very much, Larry! The more I thought of asking someone nearby to borrow one to test fit, the more my back said "NO!". It's been a while since I've lifted a full 30lb'er in an out of those storage bays.

I think the safer choice to save my herniated disks from further injury is just buying and dry fitting with a new, empty tank. Really appreciate your offer tho!
Your call. I don't have a problem carrying them. In fact, I have about five at the big trailer in Virginia--shuttle them back to Costco in Raleigh to fill them--and two on the little trailer in Raleigh. All are indeed full.

I worked my way through undergraduate school (and the last two years of high school) delivering newspapers. Part of the job was stocking the retail outlets. Some of the bigger stores took a stack as high as my waist. I learned a healthy respect for taking care of my back and still do--never jerk; if you can't lift it slowly, it's too heavy. I can still carry my 73 lb. steel Harbor Freight 3-ton jack from the basement at 76 years old, and I can probably still manage an 80 lb. bundle of shingles or 80 lb. bag of Sakrete, although I haven't done so for a couple of years.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I think weight may be large factor in their decision. In Ultra-Lite trailers, everything has to be considered.

Good point, Chris. When I was looking at pulling the trigger on the FLH in early 2020, one of their selling points for the smaller tanks was their lighter weight, being easier to lift out to refill or replace, and the convenience to easily swap out with a Blue Rhino at just about any store.

I think cost and large availability of 20lb tanks were also a big part of their decision.

Tags
propane, tank