Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2021, 03:56 PM   #1
Tony’ 5th Wheel

Warranty Work

I took my 2021 Sabre 37FLH to Camping World for some warranty work. There were some slide-out issues, the bathroom ceiling fan vent, and some basic cosmetic repairs, which they covered. I had mentioned that there were some bubbles on the wallpaper on the wall beside the slideout of the dining area.

They called and said they found a leak on the outside speakers which leaked into the wall. Camping World put in the request to replace the wall as a part of Warranty work, and I was just told that Forest River denied the request that I was supposed to seal all those areas myself. I am not quite sure I understand why on a new camper that is not even a year old yet I would be responsible for sealing the area around my outside speakers or any other areas. First I did not even know that I would be responsible for this and second should that not have been completed at the factory.

Camping World is going back to Forest River and requesting it to be covered, but not sure it will and going to provide me an estimate for fixing it.

I was checking on here to see if this is normal for a new RV to do such things. I also do yearly maintenance on my RVs and have everything checked, but I would think this would be covered by a warranty since the RV is only 10 months old.
Ttestino48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Roof caulking is only warrantied for 90 days. Roof seal inspections should be done at least every six months minimum. When I bought my last new TT, I brought my own ladder so i could i inspect the roof seals before I accepted the trailer.
Not saying that the roof caulking was done rignt at the factory. But CW should have done a thorough roof inspection when they received the unit.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #3
Tony’ 5th Wheel

Yes I did the roof seal but this was actually the outside speaker that the water came in. So not sure about if that should have been covered. They say it is not.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
Retired Army MSG!

If I were you I would contact Forest River directly and appeal. I am glad to hear the CW is going back on your behalf also. I found a blister in my rear wall a couple of months ago on my new 2021 5vr and I immediately emailed FR and they responded very quickly. Took to dealer and all has been approved for rear wall replacement. Just awaiting the part to show up at the dealer. In the meantime, I have kept my unit at home and used it while awaiting the part for repair.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:43 AM   #5

I know on my RV there is a sticker saying inspect all seals every 90 days. So I guess it’s the responsibility of the owners to maintain all seals.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #6

This is a great reminder for me to check the outside speakers (which I hate) for proper seal.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #7
Tony’ 5th Wheel

Update

Forest River still will not cover the speaker leak. They are saying I should have had it inspected every 6 months. I don’t understand that since the trailer is not even a year old I normally have it inspected every year. To me this is the shotty workmanship not even a year old and you already have a leak. Hopefully my extended warranty may cover it. Also that is the first I heard about 6 month inspections on a brand new RV.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:33 AM   #8

Checking the seals is part of the maintenance that is required on all RVs 4 times a year, especially if you tow it down the road.

I had a speaker leak this year, It’s my fault, I missed checking the speakers when inspecting the seals.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #9

One thing I have learned about pre-authorizations is that it is all in how the request is written up. My buddy who owns an RV repair shop has a list of phrases and particular words that usually work for each manufacturer's warranty group.
That being said, the first thing any of us in my RV group do with a new RV is go completely through it and check all seals, wheel bearings, and electric/plumbing connections. Even if simple repair needs are found during the PDI, I would much rather fix it myself. I know I will do a thorough job.
And it is true that most insurance/warranty claims are refused if it is obvious there was no maintenance. Even if it is new, you have to prove it was leaking before you took ownership.
Not saying it is always fair, but it is what it is.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
Happy Camper

When I get time, I will post a thread about the 37 warranty issues I've had, some of the same ones two times, including some terrible leaks, not including replacing the China Bomb tires that came on the unit.
I'm going to appeal to Forest River to replace my camper (2021 37FLL).
I have no reason to believe these defects will stop magically after the warranty expires.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
When I get time, I will post a thread about the 37 warranty issues I've had, some of the same ones two times, including some terrible leaks, not including replacing the China Bomb tires that came on the unit.
I have no reason to believe these defects will stop magically after the warranty expires.
Sounds like you got a Friday model! Best of luck.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post

Honestly, not knowing all your issues, I don't think your experience is too far out of line with most of us who have purchased new RVs.
The first year of any new RV I have ever had was fraught with repairs every trip. Most I could fix myself, a few I took to an independent RV repair shop for warranty. Then after that first year and finding all the things that needed fixing, adjusting, or replacing, the rest of my ownership time was reasonably trouble free.
Just my experience.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Honestly, not knowing all your issues, I don't think your experience is too far out of line with most of us who have purchased new RVs.
The first year of any new RV I have ever had was fraught with repairs every trip. Most I could fix myself, a few I took to an independent RV repair shop for warranty. Then after that first year and finding all the things that needed fixing, adjusting, or replacing, the rest of my ownership time was reasonably trouble free.
Just my experience.

Yeah, I remember Tony had at least one major issue that was much worse than what most of us will ever experience. Pretty sure he posted a video in the Sabre forum of water streaming from the bottom front of his fiver like a sieve after a recent downpour. I believe he took it back to the dealer for warranty repair and they had to completely remove the front cap where the leak started and worked its way down. All the insulation and walls had to be replaced, if I'm not mistaken.

This is a video he posted

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Vidk94NmFtQ3V3
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #14
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Just my experience.
My experience has been the same as you until I got this 37FLL. This unit has been a train wreck. It has spent more time at the dealer for repair than it has spent in my possession.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #15
Tony’ 5th Wheel

Update on this issue with Forest River and Camping World - My camper is still in the shop (dropped off October 19th) waiting for the slideout motor. It is so frustrating that they are still manufacturing my 5th Wheel and not much has changed but they cannot seem to have a warranty part motor available to send to fix my slide. They are now telling me the estimated time for the part is January 31. Besides worrying that my RV has sat at Camping world all this time, I now am concerned about what will not work once and when I ever get it back.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttestino48 View Post
Update on this issue with Forest River and Camping World - My camper is still in the shop (dropped off October 19th) waiting for the slideout motor. It is so frustrating that they are still manufacturing my 5th Wheel and not much has changed but they cannot seem to have a warranty part motor available to send to fix my slide. They are now telling me the estimated time for the part is January 31. Besides worrying that my RV has sat at Camping world all this time, I now am concerned about what will not work once and when I ever get it back.

I feel your frustration pain. Consider yourself lucky to only be waiting since October and to be getting an ETA from FR on the motor. I had an accident with my FLH last July and the entire back cap of the RV has to be replaced with a new one. As of today, the shop where my RV is being repaired STILL doesn't have it and cannot get any updates from FR about when they'll get it to complete the repair job.

Luckily, the shop was approved by insurance to do temporary repairs so no water can get in the RV, and in an effort to make it "road-ready" and still usable. I was able to tow it back home so at least its still not sitting at the repair shop.

Hopefully, CW had the fore-thought to winterize your RV's water and sewer systems before the cold temps rolled in.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty