Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2022, 08:30 PM   #1

Water in cap

Have a 2021 FLL and noticed that I’ve got water dripping out of lower trim moulding. So water is getting in the cap, I’ve recaulked the trim moulding previously, any ideas where water is getting in? Running lights? Seam where roof and cap meet looks good.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4037.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	277896
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4036.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	277897
Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:05 PM   #2

Anything on the cap could cause a leak. Running lights are the source for many leaks.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:27 PM   #3

You might want to get a garden hose and begin testing various areas.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:01 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_P View Post
Have a 2021 FLL and noticed that I’ve got water dripping out of lower trim moulding. So water is getting in the cap, I’ve recaulked the trim moulding previously, any ideas where water is getting in? Running lights? Seam where roof and cap meet looks good.
Attachment 277896
Attachment 277897
Wow! That’s a lot of water if you can photograph that many drops with a single shot. I would expect that kind of runoff if you had washed the rig.

You need to find the source IMMEDIATELY.

Assuming there’s no washer/dryer in the bulkhead, you need to start using a garden hose at various points to find the entry point. Certainly check the clearance lights as was suggested.

Hurry! Water intrusion is a major concern for damage and mold.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:43 AM   #5

Washer/dryer hookup up front? I had water dripping from my front cap and I finally traced it to a screw driven into an unused water supply line in that area.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #6

I had the same issue on my Class C and it was a roof seam. They looked good too. I poured a little water along the seam and it disappeared in the corner so I put a bead of Dicor across the front and that fixed it.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Several people have had issues with the top seam leaking into the cap. The common fix is to run a strip of Eternabond (4" or 6") across that seam and it fixes the problem. I did it to ours and it hasn't leaked since.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:51 PM   #8
Happy Camper

This has been an issue with my 2021 37FLL since it was new. They still have not fixed it.

I have videos...
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:36 PM   #9

Thanks all. No washer/dryer up front. I’ll lay some eternabond across that seam and see if that fixes it. I’m also seeing that lower trim has some areas that need touched up with sealant.
Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #10
Happy Camper

If anyone finds the source of the leak in a 2021 37FLL, please let the rest of us know. I bought mine in late 2020 and they have yet to find the source.

If you have water in the cap, it is basically trapped up there and it will rot the wood. Look at the pictures and videos in my album. I have had water pouring out in some cases, and the dealer removed the cap so you can see the damage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rx4JewNTUy1hDogH9
Old 09-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Anything on the cap could cause a leak. Running lights are the source for many leaks.

I believe the most likely the source of the leak is the seam between the roof and front cap. The 37FLL doesn't have clearance lights that far up on the sidewalls. Those lights are mounted and recessed near the top of the front cap. The side marker lights on this model are mounted in the lowest front corner of the sidewalls, but they should be removed and checked for any water in that area and re-sealed when put back on the rig.

Another place to look no one has mentioned are the gutters from the middle towards the front of the RV. You will find a seam in that front area where two sections are joined with Eternabond. I had issues this summer where water was getting to that seam and both leaking over the camp side living room slide out and also behind the section of gutter that ran to the front of the RV. Lots of RV ProFlex on all the gutter joints stopped that in my case.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #12
Happy Camper

After almost two years of taking my 37FLL back to the camper many times, they just told me that they saw it leak. It leaks a lot at my house and at the campgrounds, but fot some reason they previously told me never leaked at the dealership.

I have not heard the origin of leak, but they told me that they got it to leak by running or spraying a water hose on it.

I will update this thread when I get more information.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:01 PM   #13
Happy Camper

Update: They have been trying to fix the leak, but it is still leaking. They now have permission (from Forest River) to disassemble more of the camper. Something about removing the front cap and sides. Not sure about the details. Regardless, I asked them to hurry up because camping season is here.

The service department at the dealership is trying, I think, but the initial assembly was just faulty.

All of this is under warranty because they have never been able to fix the leak for long.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:59 PM   #14
Happy Camper

Upside 4/10/2023

They have not called me back so I called them today. They told me that the camper is still leaking. They have had it over 4 months this time. Total length of the problem is around 2 years now.
If they have not fixed it by now, I have no confidence that they will fix it anytime soon. I am starting to move up the chain to see who I can contact about getting this camper replaced with a new one.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:46 PM   #15
Happy Camper

Hopefully this can help someone in the future.

They think they have fixed my leak into the front cap. Time will tell, I suppose. I guess there is no guarantee that this was the only source of the leak, but they said, and I quote,
Quote:
Our tech had to bond the side walls beneath the trim strips at the front cap.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:31 PM   #16
Happy Camper

Update

After two years and three months, involving ten visits to the dealer, my Sabre 37FLL still leaks.
I have requested my money back or a new RV to replace my defective one. By the way, I have had 26 warranty claims on this RV.
Forest River will have none of that. It is as if they do not even hear me.
So I am being forced to let them try to fix it for the 11th time at the factory. My RV will be gone for at least a month. In my view, they should have taken it to the factory a long time ago if that was a requirement.
Needless to say, I am not very optimistic. And not happy at all.
Wish me luck...
Old 07-18-2023, 04:01 PM   #17
Happy Camper

Forest River is requiring me to send my 2021 37FLL to the factory (in December) in Indiana for them to fix it or lose my warranty. By that point, it will have been leaking for about three years.
That can't be good for an RV, to have water inside for three years where it is not designed to be wet.
I have asked Customer Service what happens if/when it still leaks after the factory "fixes" it. They will not answer. I want a new RV or my money back.
My dealer tried ten times to fix it, and failed. I do not think the chances are very good that the factory will fix it. After all, they are the ones who built it wrong to begin with.
Even if they get it fixed, I'm very concerned about rot, rust, mold, and mildew.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:03 PM   #18
Happy Camper

It is just so expensive to trade, I will probably just keep my 37FLL for a while if the factory is able to fix it.
Does anyone have experience with recovering diminished value over an issue like this?
My concern is, if/when I trade it in, my RV's value will be much lower since it was leaking for three years. This leak is due to Forest River's poor workmanship.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:37 PM   #19
Happy Camper

As stated previously, my Sabre 37FLL is currently at the factory in Indiana. Forest River towed it there at their own expense.

The dealer told me they found the cause and fixed it about 5 or 6 times now. It always kept getting water into the nose cap.

This time, the factory says they have found the leak. "...we did identify the source of the water intrusion. The bottom rails were found to be loose, allowing water to seep through."

I just hope that information helps someone. Does anyone know what she means by "bottom rails"?

I have to say, they are communicating status of the repairs pretty well. I just hope it doesn't leak when I get it back.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #20
Happy Camper

The factory has just told me that my 37FLL has passed PDI at the factory. They are ready to tow it back down here in Alabama. This is what they said:

Quote:
pull cap moldings off & TPO moldings & TPO off, replace wood shims for TPO replace TPO & moldings, Inspected upper decking, no signs of water intrusion
I hope this helps someone else who has this same problem. I'm not even sure of what they are referring to. Maybe someone else can translate?

Tags
water