Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #1

Lightbulb 2401R MBS Weights

I'm new to this vehicle but after reading it does not seem like there is any way to load it with anything other than air. Can anyone help me understand this UVW of 9852 lbs and the GVWR of 11030 lbs and GCWR of 15250 lbs. When my vehicle is rated with these numbers does it mean that this is taking into consideration for loaded propane tanks and fuel and water as well? just doesn't seem like I can carry anything yet I have a ton of storage space. Can someone with real RVing experience shed some light on this with
WILLMCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #2

I have the same unit. That all we have is 930 lbs. Water, Food, Clothes, dogs and Human
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

The payload is very limited

The CCC (cargo carrying capacity) of our 2015 Forester MBS 2401R is about 925 pounds - according to the FR placard on the inside of the drivers door. My understanding is that the "empty" weight of the vehicle includes full propane and full diesel fuel, but no water. So anything you add - food, clothes, stuff and water - all come out of the CCC.

These vehicles are exceptionally limited on their weight carrying ability. You are correct, there is a ton of storage, but unless you are carrying helium balloons - you can easily overload the MBS chassis.

We use our Toad (2015 Honda Fit) now as "trailer' to carry tools (needed for inevitable repairs), hanging clothes (somewhat limited space in the MH) and for other heavy items like full coolers and bottled water.

We are also going to add the Alcoa aluminum wheels (all 6) to eliminate another 100 pounds of vehicle weight. Some folks have removed the glass shower door and/or the partition door between the rear bed area to eliminate additional weight.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
We use our Toad (2015 Honda Fit) now as "trailer' to carry tools (needed for inevitable repairs), hanging clothes (somewhat limited space in the MH) and for other heavy items like full coolers and bottled water.

We are also going to add the Alcoa aluminum wheels (all 6) to eliminate another 100 pounds of vehicle weight. Some folks have removed the glass shower door and/or the partition door between the rear bed area to eliminate additional weight.
KatanaPilot, are you towing Honda fit on four? Alcoa wheels look nice. Isn't that about $3000 for the whole thing (cost, mount and balance)?
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:18 AM   #5

The solution to your dilemma is to go with a SunSeeker 2500 TS on the Ford chassis... way more carrying and towing capacity. Only thing is, you will be lucky to get 8 mpg. Yes, the MBS 2400 series is limited in the loads it can carry and pull, but there are clear benefits with this configuration.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #6

Not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
KatanaPilot, are you towing Honda fit on four? Alcoa wheels look nice. Isn't that about $3000 for the whole thing (cost, mount and balance)?
Yes, our Honda Fit is a 6 speed manual and we tow it four down with a Blue Ox tow bar. Tows well, even in the mountains of Tennessee. We will see next year how it does in Canada and Alaska.

My estimate is about $2500. Expensive, yes, but the wheels look great, you don't have to deal with the hub cap simulators or FR tire stem extensions and you get rid of 100 pounds of weight. Our primary motivation is appearance, the weight reduction is a big bonus.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

I agree the carrying capacity is quite limiting but that gives new meaning to "Downsizing"! We have one electric skillet instead of the cast iron we used to carry in our 7mpg Coachman, and only put enough water in the tank for use on the road and fill up at the campgrounds. We also use a lot of paper plates and plastic cups. It was a challenge to remove as much weight as possible but it can be done. I have a shed full of "stuff" that I removed from the basement storage of the Leprechaun and will no longer need. Extra propane tanks, fish fryers, tubs full of camping gear, an easy up, tools I really didn't use, etc.
captdanerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #8

Having had bus conversions , where weight is seldom a hassle , it is amazing how much stuff slowly accumulates in time .

With a limited load capacity the only way to be safe is to have all 4 corners of the coach weighed.

And once a year empty every storage area , just to see what you have aboard.

Stuff that has been in the locker since last inspection might well be tossed.

And with hydraulic brakes take heed of the requirement to change the fluid as required.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #9

WILLMCC - Like you we are new to our 2401R (8 months). However, reading these forums for a year before the purchase made it clear what the trade-offs were for the Sprinter-based units. Fortunately our MH's CCC is a little higher at 1130 lbs, probably due to the Trekker cap option. At 8 lb/gal managing how much water you have onboard (FW tank, HW tank, black/gray tanks, bottled) is a major issue you'll see in many threads - for weight and MPG.

We've taken the approach that everything needs to earn it's way onto the MH (do we really need it) and look for the lightest option... $15, 4-cup coffee pot rather than a full size pot. And we adjust what we bring based on the trip (shore power?). We've done fine on the shorter, planned trips we've taken so far. But this is for the 2 of us and our cat, if you have more - I'll leave that to someone who's doing it. The available sleeping space also could lead you to go over the CCC.

I agree with KatanaPilot that towing a car provides flexibility (especially for lighter cars) and you can offload some things and increase the weight you can carry. You just have to recognize what's being carried by the chassis and what is not. Ditching the bedroom door, etc., is a pound-for-pound increase in CCC. The wheels however are unsprung weight and savings there does not translate into CCC increase (or certainly much less than pound-for-pound). They do have other benefits (see other threads) and do probably translate into increased towing weight, so you can carry more weight in the toad.
HappyHikeRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #10

Use your bathroom at home before you leave to save weight.

Just kidding! My advice after 40+ years of RVing and a current sprinter owner is to use common sense when loading, don't over think it, go out and have some fun and enjoy your RV.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #11

I second that!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
weight