Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2024, 06:03 PM   #1

Air Conditioner will not come on while using generator

Hello,
I may not be posting in the correct category but here goes...
I have a 2024 Forester 2401B.

My air conditioner will not come on while running the generator. I have read previous older threads about the problem and have the following circumstances.

1. Air cond does work when hooked to shore power.
2. The generator cranks and runs great and currently has 10.5% propane.
3. The indicator near the steps tells me the generator voltage is .5
4. I have reset what I think is the reset button on the generator pushing forward and backward with no results. It moves VERY easily and may not be the reset button at all. It is directly to the right of the manual crank switch of the generator. Someone helping me said they had never seen a reset button so easily flipped.
5. When I turn the air off and crank the generator I have no lights on the microwave either so it seems like it is not distributing any power at all.

Any advice is appreciated and pardon my lack of technical and mechanical knowledge. I am trying to learn!

Thanks,
Paula
paulamdavenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 06:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the Tech and Repair section to the Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis sub-forum for better help from other MBZ chassis owners and possible factory support.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 06:27 PM   #3

What with knocking the awning cover off (previous post) and now a malfunctioning generator, you probably need to get your dealer to address these problems.
Old 06-11-2024, 07:00 PM   #4

It wasn't the entire awning, just the corner cover. I glued it back on and everything is working fine.

Thanks,
Paula
Old 06-12-2024, 09:02 AM   #5

the fact that you are getting no lights on the microwave when running the generator seems to indicate that the generator power is not getting into the rv. the problem is not with the a/c.

you need to determine if the generator is producing power and where it is going, or not going. i don't know your level of comfort working around electrical devices.

some things to check:

start the generator and plug a light or radio directly into it to see if it is producing power. if not get the manual for the generator and learn where the circuit breaker is and reset it.

is the generator built in or portable? if built in the transfer switch may not be working. or if you have to plug the shore power cord into a special generator receptacle have you done this?

do you have an ems system in the power path from the generator to the rv? if so is it sensing a fault (such as missing ground) so that it is interrupting the power flow?

this is resolvable. you just need to verify that the generator is producing power and then trace it to see where the power is being interrupted on its path to the rv. a multimeter would help but only if you are comfortable using it to take measurements.

hope this helps
Old 06-12-2024, 02:27 PM   #6

Thank You

Thank You CHICKDOE, I will try your suggestions with what I can do and get help on the other that I don't feel comfortable doing.

It is a "built in" generator on a 2024 Mercedes Sprinter 2401B.

Thanks,
Paula
Old 06-12-2024, 03:03 PM   #7

Has it ever worked?

I do not know you ever so this is just a guess. Do you have to take your shore power cord and plug it into a generator output receptacle?
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
Has it ever worked?

I do not know you ever so this is just a guess. Do you have to take your shore power cord and plug it into a generator output receptacle?
This is a new 2024 MBS. They should be careful about attempting repairs on a unit under warranty.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:44 PM   #9

Is the reset a button or a toggle switch? If it’s a toggle switch try to turn it further off then back on.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 12:20 PM   #10

Everything you report suggests the generator is not making power.
I believe you said "0.5 volts." It should nominally be 120 volts.

So, aside from the obvious:
1) Find and reset (fully turn off then on again) all reset/breaker switches between the genny and the converter. Important "trick" with virtually all breakers: you must first fully turn off the breaker to then turn it on again. That "loose" feeling in your reset may be that the breaker is tripped, and by just attempting to turn it on again, you are not accomplishing the task. Turn it all the way off then on.
2) Since shore power runs everything, I think you can safely rule out the converter and anything downstream of the converter.
3) Get out your multimeter (or buy one) and find a way to test the voltage output of the genny while running. Remember that you are testing for 120 volts AC, so be careful. Set your multimeter for AC Volts and make sure the leads are plugged into the correct ports for AC Volts.
4) If you discover 120 volts at the genny's output, there may be any number of problems between the genny and the converter input...including a loose connection at the genny or at the converter...or worse, there's a screw driven into the wire connecting the genny to the converter. It's been known to happen. That would definitely trip the breaker.

If you can't sleuth this as easily as above, go back to the dealer for warranty repair. And don't blow the warranty by doing a lot of obvious work that can lead them to disqualify your claim.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 01:21 PM   #11
2012 Solera

Suspect the “reset button” you toggled is not the generator mounted circuit breaker, but another switch on the generator (e.g., the primer?). Look for a breaker somewhere on or around the generator. That breaker is very frequently the cause of the generator running but no 120 volt power to the coach.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2024, 08:18 AM   #12

Update on my Generator Problem

Hello,
Thanks for all the kind suggestions. I tried them all... Finally, I took to Camping World and they couldn't find anything but recognized there was a problem. Suggested I take to Cummings dealer that can handle warranty issue with generators. The Cummings dealer did find a wire that was not secured to somewhere it was supposed to be. Technician said it would have been impossible to see the problem without looking behind the generator (removing some panels). Everything is working great now!
Thanks for your help.

Tags
air conditioner, generator