Old 08-04-2020, 05:35 AM   #1

Air conditioning problems in cab

I have a 2017 MBS Sunseeker 2401W on a Mercedes chassis. On trips the air conditioning in the cab only works for about an hour or less, then I turn it off and after about 10 minutes whatever ice is on the unit melts and the A/C works again for awhile. I've had it at two dealerships and they replace some parts under my extended warrantee plan, but it still does the same thing. Does any one else have a problem like this? Could it be an antifreeze leak somewhere? Thanks.
captdanerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #2

If you antifreeze in your AC system you have a major problem did you mean refrigerant?. Icing like your are talking about is often caused by lack of refrigerant I would look for a leak somewhere and recharge/check the system with is not above a DIY check.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
If you antifreeze in your AC system you have a major problem did you mean refrigerant?. Icing like your are talking about is often caused by lack of refrigerant I would look for a leak somewhere and recharge/check the system with is not above a DIY check.
They should have a leak down test, right? My mechanic was able to do a test and found there was a leak. They were then able to inject a dyed refrigerant and use infrared light (IIRC) to find the source of it and repair. You have to go to someone who is actually interested in getting this fixed and not just throwing parts at it.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
2012 Solera

When our 2012 MBS did this, the dealer “replaced a resistor”. No more explanation.
I believe it was a sensing device on the coils that told the system icing was occurring, and that the system then shuts down the compressor until the temperature detected increases enough to stop the icing. Similar to what you are doing by turning the ac off for a few minutes.
Solved our problem.
FYI
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #5

Set the temp to 68 instead of as “cold as it will go “ and that will usually take care of it.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #6

We also have a 2019 Sunseeker and have experienced the same issue, usually riding down a highway at about 65. The AC slowly loses its cooling, and we have found that if we turn the AC off for about 5 minutes and turn it back on, it runs fine. I have never had it in for service and don't want to take it about 80 miles to the MB dealer just for this. Annoying, for sure, but as I said after about 5 minutes the problem goes away. Happened three times on trips and never than once a trip.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #7

Air conditioning problems

That's exactly what mine does. I had the pressure checked and it was fine so it is something else. I won't need it for awhile but the next time I take it in for service I'll have it checked again because something is causing it to freeze up.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #8

I set ours at about 74-75 and even in 100+ degree heat, it works fine. A thermometer in the back was reading 78. I've heard setting it as low as it goes or even much below 70 can cause it to ice up.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #9

Both my Sprinters would freeze up if put on the lowest temp setting.
The dealer can't fix it, so just turn the temp knob clockwise a notch or two at a time until it stops freezing up and make note of the setting.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:20 AM   #10

I have found on my 2015 if I run the temp slightly higher and also more fan speed keeps it from freezing up. When it does freeze up water will drop on my wifeís feet when thawing. This will be my last response, we are stepping up to a class A Holiday Rambler, we need more room for 2 months in Florida.We will miss old Sol, she has been a great unit with very few problems. This forum has been a wealth of information and has solved a lot of problems for me. I thank all of you.
lwalkplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:04 AM   #11

Does the air conditioner freeze up on the 2019+ MBS chassis, too, or has this problem been resolved on the newer design?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #12

I have not had a problem with the cab AC in our 2019 chassis. Even in 90+ degree, high humidity, weather it does a good job keeping us cool.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:26 AM   #13

We had this same problem a year ago. Drove about 100 miles to the closest Mercedes dealer. They said they found debris in it and it was fixed - we were ONE week from driving from Washington state to Maine and I had to have a/c.

5 miles from home, it quit working again. Called Mercedes and explained it had to be fixed before our trip. After some debate on the phone (they said they couldnít throw parts at an intermittent problem) they agreed to let
Us drive it BACK down the next day.

They really dug in and researched similar problems and told us they were confident they had found the problem and would have us on the road in about an hour.

We left 3 days later for an 8,000 mile trip and not had a single problem since!!

I apologize for NOT knowing what they fixed - Iím a mechanical idiot!!!
Old 08-18-2020, 06:13 AM   #14

Air conditioning Problems in cab

Can you please call the Mercedes dealer you dealt with and ask them to check their records. All Mercedes dealers have access to anything done to your unit. I had my oil changed once in Ft Myers and they showed me all the records of what I had done even though I live in PA and have my unit serviced in Ohio. That fix would really be useful to those of us with this problem. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #15

OK, I'm trying to post a pic of our work order. IF it doesn't post, I'll try it again.

To be clear, the work order says the A/C blower quit blowing - it should have said it quit blowing COLD AIR. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8-2019, Air conditioner issue - fix.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	236859
Old 08-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #16

Vehicles arenít simple anymore.

Used to be a fine line in a/c charge between working and freezing on low speed. One can overcharge just a bit and compensate for a freezing condition. It just raises the refrigerant temp a couple of degrees and helps stop icing. I have seen vehicles freeze when ran in blend air mode. I have seen freeze as dirty of course. I usually tell people to cycle the blower and not the temp as the blending is usually done down wind of the evaporator.

Many are different. Many are the same.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:40 AM   #17

Thanks everyone for all your posts. I will try the 74-75 degree setting with the fan speed up a little. It just seems strange that so many people have this issue. I've never had a car do this, or the 2000 Leprechaun motorhome with the Ford V-10 do this either.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #18

I tried the higher settings for a trip of about 1 hour. After about 20 minutes the air conditioner froze up again. I turned it off for about a minute and then turned it back on. That worked. I'm still puzzled as to why this is happening. Otherwise I love the MBS.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #19

Hmmmm. I am not sure what system you have. It used to be simple. The basic differences were CCOT and or an expansion valve. The CCOT cycles the clutch on pressure and the exp valve on temperature...both have their pluses. The last info I had was adding a variable displacement compressor and valving to control refrigeration load.
Like I said before an increase in refrigerant pressure will increase the evap temp and reduce icing. More airflow will do similar.

Sorry I canít fix on the forum. If you keep asking...someone at your service center should be smart enough to answer.
It IS NOT normal.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:17 PM   #20
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We have 2016 2400w and ours did exactly what you’re describing, but it was brand new. The MB dealer said there was no coolant due to a small leak and tried to blame it on Forest River. Anyway, they fixed it and it’s ok since. We run it very cold sometimes without a problem. Sorry, I know this is vague but neither of us know anything about vehicle airco.