Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Another Coast to Coast in our 24M

Well weíre off on another run to the east coast. We left home this morning and 275 miles later were on the edge of the Colorado river in needles. It was 118 at 3 pm in the shade. This is gonna be our first time towing. A dolly with E brakes and moms Elantra are coupled up out back. First tank climbing out of the LA basin was 14.82 mpg measured. Not bad. No sway or noise. Iíll post some pics along the way. Headed for Cherry Point NC. I was stationed there on the Helo base at New River in 66-67. Want to hit some of the beach towns again. I was an MP there. Letís see how this trip turns out.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

Safe journey!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #3

We have a 2016 Prism 24G and dolly tow (surge brakes) a 2015 Sonic RS Hatchback (2800 lbs). Typical towing mileage is about 15 over 3k+ miles. We tow at 60-62mph. No issues at all in the moutains of MT, WY or UT.

I wonder if some of those same places you were an MP are still open??

Enjpy you're trip!!

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #4

How long do you think it will take you to get to NC?
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #5

Sounds like a great trip. I was shore patrol in San Diego and I seriously doubt that any of the bars I frequented are still there. They were falling down then.

I have some 24M questions for you;

What do you carry in each of your outside storage compartments? I am having a hard time figuring out what should go where. Our first trip starts Wednesday.

Where do you carry your dump hose? I have mine in a bag in a tub in the slide compartment but would like to put it somewhere on the outside.

Thanks
2004 Bluebird M380 (sold)
GeoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

Road trip

Keep us posted. Going I 40 all the way? Asking because we are leaving northern CA next month for Knoxville. Road problems? We'll be flat towing our Fiat 500 with our 2401R .
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
How long do you think it will take you to get to NC?

About another 8 days. Doing only 250 to 300 per day. Coming home last trip final day was 800 miles. I wanted my bed.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDoc View Post
Sounds like a great trip. I was shore patrol in San Diego and I seriously doubt that any of the bars I frequented are still there. They were falling down then.

I have some 24M questions for you;

What do you carry in each of your outside storage compartments? I am having a hard time figuring out what should go where. Our first trip starts Wednesday.

Where do you carry your dump hose? I have mine in a bag in a tub in the slide compartment but would like to put it somewhere on the outside.

Thanks

Mines in the slide too. Next trip it will be in a box tube out back. My tall right rear has my folding mobility scooter in it. Along with tools, fluids, outside mat. Chairs,bug tent, spare tire for the dolly is in the cars trunk. We really didnít think we were gonna keep the coach. But my health got a bit better so weíre back on the road. I donít think storage was well thought out but we are learning more every run.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclmac View Post
Keep us posted. Going I 40 all the way? Asking because we are leaving northern CA next month for Knoxville. Road problems? We'll be flat towing our Fiat 500 with our 2401R .

Nothing big so far. Some lane closures today outside flagstaff that are long term but only down to 45mph. So far 40ís been smooth sailing.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgeri View Post
Mines in the slide too. Next trip it will be in a box tube out back. My tall right rear has my folding mobility scooter in it. Along with tools, fluids, outside mat. Chairs,bug tent, spare tire for the dolly is in the cars trunk. We really didn’t think we were gonna keep the coach. But my health got a bit better so we’re back on the road. I don’t think storage was well thought out but we are learning more every run.

Hey Bob - Glad to hear the health is better and you are traveling!!

What's the OCCC on the 2016 Prism 24M? On the 2016 Prism 24G it's 1656# - when I weighed at the Cat scales a year ago, I was about 300# under (10,700) with about 550# of passengers, 3/4 diesel, full propane and 1/3 water. We didn't have the toad then.

We're leaving in about a week for 3 weeks to the WA/OR coast. I'll have the toad on the dolly and have lightened a few things (I lost 10# )so I will weigh again as we pass the Cat scales to see the effect of the dolly/toad.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 07-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #11

Where to store your sewer hose

Re: the post about where to put the sewer hose, we have a MBS Sprinter Forester 2014R and I bought a sewer hose holder that bolts on the back bumper. Came in black and white (I used black to more "match" the brown bumper. Works great and frees up space in storage compartment (plus you don't have the obvious sanitary issue with storing the hose in the storage).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_143029.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	178897  
Anhkhong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhkhong1 View Post
Re: the post about where to put the sewer hose, we have a MBS Sprinter Forester 2014R and I bought a sewer hose holder that bolts on the back bumper. Came in black and white (I used black to more "match" the brown bumper. Works great and frees up space in storage compartment (plus you don't have the obvious sanitary issue with storing the hose in the storage).

I wish Prisms had a back bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	178910  
Old 07-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDoc View Post
I wish Prisms had a back bumper.

Agree - the slightest "error" could be *very* expensive.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 07-11-2018, 12:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Hey Bob - Glad to hear the health is better and you are traveling!!

What's the OCCC on the 2016 Prism 24M? On the 2016 Prism 24G it's 1656# - when I weighed at the Cat scales a year ago, I was about 300# under (10,700) with about 550# of passengers, 3/4 diesel, full propane and 1/3 water. We didn't have the toad then.

We're leaving in about a week for 3 weeks to the WA/OR coast. I'll have the toad on the dolly and have lightened a few things (I lost 10# )so I will weigh again as we pass the Cat scales to see the effect of the dolly/toad.
Iíve not weighed it yet. I guess thatís gonna be added to the honey do list.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 AM   #15

So second day we were up and gone by 9. Climbed up to flagstaff. 2500 to 7300 ft. Worst mileage 13.31 at 55 mph. Still love this little v6. I pass almost every motor home. Those cowboys with the 1000lb/ft diesel gooseneck pickups smoke me. Any way today was a 330 mile day with a drop to 5500ft 15.8 mpg. Coach is killin it everything is working. We were going to Angelfire but itís at 8500 ft and I was having trouble breathing at 7300. Got CHF andCOPD. Makes it interesting. Met a guy tonight whoís 82 and they are full timing it still. Great conversation. F15s did a power takeoff and then a slow noisy couple of touch and goes right over base family camp. 20 bucks for full hookups. Iím 100% disabled from USMC SO we get to stay on military bases where ever we go. Great deal. Time for sleep. Heading to the NRA campground and gun ranges. 30k acres. Iím renting a sniper rifle and a coach. I just bought one and want some tips.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Iíve not weighed it yet. I guess thatís gonna be added to the honey do list.

The OCCC is on a sticker inside the driver's door.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #17

In a campground in Summerfield, FL and I made the same newby mistake that I suffered through on our Bluebird when I was trying to hook up shore water for the first time. When DW screamed that the head was filling up I realized what I had done. Thought I had learned my lesson today when I noticed two hose connections...one black and one white. I hooked to white and DW screamed from inside that water was on the floor.

So I looked more carefully and on the door there is a picture of the white one called Tank Flush. I assumed wrong again.

Lucky this is a new coach so the black tank was empty.

Who in their right mind would make black female hose fitting the fresh water connection and the white one tank flush???
Old 07-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #18

Lol I did the same thing on our first run. I was so proud I had figured it out till water appeared. So the coach rocks. 15 mpg towing flat. Lots of power nothings broke. Iím a happy camper. Made it to Kansas today. Tomorrow is Branson. Had to order new tie down straps for the tires on the dolly. Their too big for the tires and rather just order smaller ones than mess with it. Amazon Prime delivers to the campground so weíre in great shape.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Lol I did the same thing on our first run. I was so proud I had figured it out till water appeared. So the coach rocks. 15 mpg towing flat. .
Our first trip we (I) got lucky. Our FW tank was very slow to fill do to a kink in the line. We pull into an RV park to meet up with friends, I hook up the water to fill the tank, go visit and come back an hour later to find a lake around the RV

Then we had a 5.8 earthquake that night.

Mileage seems to be 16-17 not towing and 14-15 with the dolly/toad.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 07-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #20
Not a newbie

To bad you missed Angel Fire. We were there all week and it was in the 70s every day!

There is also an amazing Vietnam Veterans Memorial there. A beautiful chapel, peaceful walks and a nicely restored VN service Huey.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote