Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #1

Any tips for leaving Mich. in Feb?

We tentatively plan to head to Fla in Feb next year. Have never started a trip mid-winter before. Class C (MBS) will have been in outdoor storage since Oct, and will likely have snow or ice on the roof (may put us over weight all by itself) and the house batteries removed. Will need to de-winterize and sanitize on way south, and re-winterize on way back 3-4 weeks later. Any tips to improve chances of a successful trip? Planning on I75 all the way, pulling toad, and hoping for no snow storms.

I was thinking we could slightly reduce the southbound de-winterizing process with a twist on winterizing the previous Fall -- by blowing out water, adding antifreeze, then blowing that back out. Anything left will just be a bit of antifreeze collected in low spots, which should be okay (right???).
a2badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #2

This year we left Illinois in February to go south in a class C. We did delay departure 6 days to let a really cold spell pass. We did drive in packed snow in our neighborhood but once on the highway, roads were clear.

For preparation we warmed the camper some before loading food. There was no need to even turn on the refrigerator, in fact I warmed it up so the perishables wouldn't freeze. The camper had been winterized by blowing out the lines and adding antifreeze to the traps. The FW tank was empty.

We easily made the 2 day trip to the Gulf with just a 2.5 gallon jug of water on board. We expected to summerize on the first night but the reservation fell through due to snow and we just stayed at Walmart. We got to our final destination and summerized the water system and put it to use.

The only thing that puzzles me is why you removed your batteries. Just fully charge and then totally disconnect them and they will be fine even through a deep freeze if left in the motorhome.

It will help to keep your departure date flexible to be able to shift the dates to avoid driving in hazardous weather. Also make sure you have enough propane on board to keep your heat on if needed.
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
The only thing that puzzles me is why you removed your batteries. Just fully charge and then totally disconnect them and they will be fine even through a deep freeze if left in the motorhome.

I would like to hear others' experiences with leaving the house batteries in the RV (but disconnected) over winter. They run down in my home over the winter! I keep the starter battery installed and it can run dead in weeks. I figured that is partly from the cold (on top of some parasitic losses), since I have not had that problem during warmer weather.
a2badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #4

Over the three years our batteries were in the trailer over the Ohio winter.

My batteries when disconnected discharge about 5% per month. I have a recording voltmeter/battery monitor.

Not using the disconnect I guess the discharge rate is more like 5% per day!

Modern vehicles have fairly large parasitic loads. My Jag cannot sit two months without disconnecting the batteries or adding a trickle charger. Our 97 SHO was the same.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2badger View Post
I would like to hear others' experiences with leaving the house batteries in the RV (but disconnected) over winter. They run down in my home over the winter! I keep the starter battery installed and it can run dead in weeks. I figured that is partly from the cold (on top of some parasitic losses), since I have not had that problem during warmer weather.

Bringing the batteries into a warm environment, like the home, makes them self discharge faster than if they were left in the cold. I read a USACE document that states that fully charged batteries stored in very cold winter conditions will retain their charge almost indefinitely. Your main discharge issue with leaving them in the vehicle is the constant parasitic drain from devices and electronics that are still connected. Disconnecting the battery cable(s) removes that parasitic drain and the batteries will stay charged a long time.

Taking the batteries out of the RV and taking them inside is certainly an option, but I was just suggesting that you could easily remove one of your tasks for February departure preparations.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #6

I have left batteries in my past 2 TT and now my class C for probably close to 30 years. Just have them charged up good before storing the RV for winter. What changed my mind was lifting those beasts out of the containers for the first year and then putting them back in the Spring. Just remove the negative battery cable on the battery and you will be good until Spring. Never in all my years had a frozen battery, just charge them up completely before heading out in the Spring. I also don't want a dirty battery in my finished house.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #7

Smile Be flexable!

I have left with my Isata3 in January for the last 4 years. I always have a 3 day window, so if the weather looks bad before or after my leave date, I can leave a day earlier or later depending. I don't de-winterize until I get further south. I carry about 5 gals of water to flush and just don't do a shower until I get far enough south to not have a problem. So far by the second night I was OK. I as well leave my batteries in the rig. Never had an issue. I either drive I-57 or I-65 south. I never take 75, unless coming home.
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2badger View Post
We tentatively plan to head to Fla in Feb next year. Have never started a trip mid-winter before. Class C (MBS) will have been in outdoor storage since Oct, and will likely have snow or ice on the roof (may put us over weight all by itself) and the house batteries removed. Will need to de-winterize and sanitize on way south, and re-winterize on way back 3-4 weeks later. Any tips to improve chances of a successful trip? Planning on I75 all the way, pulling toad, and hoping for no snow storms.

I was thinking we could slightly reduce the southbound de-winterizing process with a twist on winterizing the previous Fall -- by blowing out water, adding antifreeze, then blowing that back out. Anything left will just be a bit of antifreeze collected in low spots, which should be okay (right???).
Snow and ice on the roof shouldn't be a problem. Clean it off before you leave your storage facility and before it blows off and kills somebody.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:25 PM   #9

We left from farther north than you in late December. I blow out lines, so adding water is easy. We left after work and did a motel after 4 or 5 hours (or less, I think we were still in MI). The next night we caught a campground with water at the sites, so it was easy to fill up. Just winterized the night we got home.

If we get to do it again, we'll just leave super early. My FIL is in Missouri, so we'll stop there. I'll fill the tank (but not purge the lines) before we leave that morning so we have bathroom water. It takes a long sustained cold to freeze 40gal.

I'm in a TT though, not a MH.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote