Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #1

Backup camera comes in with braking or right turn signal: 2015 solera 24R

I'm having an odd symptom. As stated when I depress the brake or turn on the right turn signal, the back up camera comes on. With the brake it's continuous and with the right turn signal it only comes on intermittently once every 3 flashes. And never with the left turn signal.

I thought perhaps the Hopkins controller so I moved that into the rear compartment out of the elements. No change. Then I found there was a weather seal leak around the right turn signal so I removed it and resealed. No change.

I thought it was water based because it began after a rainstorm I drove through for hours. Then it went away. And came back a month later. It has been intermittent till last week when it started happening whenever I depress the brake or turn right.

Andy ideas?

Thanks.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:42 AM   #2

I bet it is corrosion or water in the 7 pin trailer connector . All of those wires converge there and shorting to the back up light circuit would trigger the camera. That’s my best guess. Good luck
Old 03-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. But all appears clean and dry in the 7 pin socket. Any other ideas?
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:50 PM   #4

Sounds like it's miswired somewhere.

Many of them get their power from the parking lights (I'm coming at this from a trailer perspective, so not 100% about a class C). I have to have my parking lights on to use the backup camera.

So somewhere the wires are crossed up where yours is getting power from the brake light instead of the parking light.

Question is where. If you are confident that your parking lights and brake lights are working normally, then the miswire is in the back somewhere.

But remember, the brake light is supposed to be brighter than the parking light, so be sure of that before you decide the lights themselves work normally.

If the parking light is brighter than the brake light, then something is reversed somewhere else.

Also ground wires that fall off can create ground loops and do strange things like this, even when the red wires are correct
Old 03-19-2022, 07:24 AM   #5

I think it’s time to replace the Hopkins controller , they are cheap on Amazon, may need to buy wire plugs to match what forest River used. If that doesn’t work at least you have a ready spare.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #6

Post #4 is your issue.

They needed power and rather than use the "running light" wire they used the brake/turn signal. You just need to move the + wire of the camera to the running light wire. I bet the camera wire runs into the back of the light housing and the spice is right there.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Post #4 is your issue.

They needed power and rather than use the "running light" wire they used the brake/turn signal. You just need to move the + wire of the camera to the running light wire.
If this were the case why would it ever go away as stated by the OP? Wonder if the OP has actually verified all the correct lights are coming on (none burned out) for the selection..
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
I'm having an odd symptom. As stated when I depress the brake or turn on the right turn signal, the back up camera comes on. With the brake it's continuous and with the right turn signal it only comes on intermittently once every 3 flashes. And never with the left turn signal.

I thought perhaps the Hopkins controller so I moved that into the rear compartment out of the elements. No change. Then I found there was a weather seal leak around the right turn signal so I removed it and resealed. No change.

I thought it was water based because it began after a rainstorm I drove through for hours. Then it went away. And came back a month later. It has been intermittent till last week when it started happening whenever I depress the brake or turn right.

Andy ideas?

Thanks.
The camera controller is behind the dash just above the fuse box. A panel in the lower dash is held on with one screw. I would pull the controller and swap camera leads. If the problem moves then you would know it was in the controller.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:19 PM   #9

Like Mikegjax said, the camera controller is under the task. also you will find the rear corner blind spot module if you have that.

Here is a link to the camera controller that was in my 2019

I actually took this camera controller out and had each side view camera feeding a little monitor on each corner of the dash and the backup camera feed the dash camera in the radio (I think I bought the power adapters on this rearviewsafety site).
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, solera, turn signal