Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2022, 11:49 PM   #1

Backup camera STOPPED working

Backup and side camera STOPPED working.
2016 Mercedes Sunseeker 2400S MBS 11,600 miles.

Had it inspected before purchase and it worked on the way to the Campground which was only about 5 miles away from where we bought it.

When I backed into my spot it worked fine I tried to give as far back as I could until I reach a curb spot I did hear a very slight scraping so I stopped and pulled forward and parked there.

later on I looked at what might have scraped and it was too hangar exhaust bolts that were about one and a 1/2 inches too long.

I do not think this could have affected the camera but I am new to this whole RV experience.

I did take it to the place it was inspected and the technician looked at it and could not figure it out and said it would take some time which I did not have as I am vacationing and need to get back to The Valley and they were closing in 30 minutes.

They would not cover it as it was not part of the inspection and they do not cover labor.
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:55 AM   #2

If RVS is the system, they are helpful in troubleshooting. Give them a call. The controller should be located just above the Fuse box behind a small dash panel held in by one #2 torn head screw.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:58 AM   #3

Did both side cameras stop?
Old 07-31-2022, 07:52 AM   #4

do you have any pictures of the location please.
rgt3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
If RVS is the system, they are helpful in troubleshooting. Give them a call. The controller should be located just above the Fuse box behind a small dash panel held in by one #2 torn head screw.

New to ALL THIS
What is RVS
Where is the Fuse Box

Thanks
Old 07-31-2022, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Did both side cameras stop?
Yes NOTHING works, black screen. When I press the POWER button it beeps
Old 07-31-2022, 11:42 AM   #7
2012 Solera

RVS is the company name - often used by Forest River for this purpose:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...YaApIsEALw_wcB

My 2012 only has the rear camera, so my experience may not be very applicable.

On mine, the control box was stuffed up among other wires to the left of the steering wheel under the dash - as Mikegjax described. Aluminum metal box about 3X4X1.5 inches, as I remember. As you are hearing a “beep”, it is getting power - so unlikely a fuse.

One time that mine quit, it was corrosion or mold on the controller circuit board. Took the controller out and disassembled, scrubbed the boards with alcohol using a toothbrush- fixed. The most recent time it was s short in the cable. I suspect a staple wore through (after 10 years and 110K miles).

FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:59 AM   #8

any buttons for switching cameras.... on the screen

my screen was black with wording ... no input
pressed the cameras button until the camera / pic was showing
Old 07-31-2022, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmotoman View Post
New to ALL THIS

What is RVS

Where is the Fuse Box

Thanks
The cover for the fuse box is under the dash just forward of where the driver door is hinged on the inside. The access cover for the camera controller is the first under dash access panel. It's held in place by one #2 torx head screw at the bottom. The camera controller is stuffed in behind that cover.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:58 PM   #10

BTW, make sure your camera monitor/rear view mirror is set on proper source. There are arrows on the front above the on off switch that allow for source selection.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:43 PM   #11

I am still up in the mountains heading home tomorrow so haven't been able to do too much with it.

I did try to troubleshoot and look at the fuses by the driver but none are for the camera.

I did find a fuse Box by the stairs in the coach but none of them have a camera fuse either and by the way those are weird looking fuses what happens when one of those goes bad? I've never seen a fuse like those where do you get them.

And yes the side cameras do not work either the screen is totally black I've tried the different modes I've tried every button on that screen nothing works but it does beep so like someone else said it can't be a fuse if I'm getting power correct?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2022, 12:58 AM   #12

Reverse and Side camera STOPPED working

Fusebox on seat base.
2016 Mercedes Sunseeker 2400S Forest River

FIRST PICTURE

I think there's a couple that are in the wrong place number 34 and 35 should be reversed. According to the owners manual they are in wrong but don't want to take a chance with a 4 hour drive in a steep canyon EARLY tomorrow. They have been driving it like this. I don't think I switched them, been a long day...
Every other fuse checks out according to the manual PICTURES 2 AND 3

By the way this has nothing to do with my camera issue but I know the previous owners had issues with the fuses and something about the Dev system and the Mercedes dealer charged them A lot of $$ and said they were missing a fuse. I guess the old man was messing with it.

PICTURES 4 AND 5

I can't find this Fuse Block 55/7 for fuse # 38 .
Is this for the camera?

Thanks

Old 08-01-2022, 06:31 AM   #13

Here are photos of the dash panel where the controller should be.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_072553.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	277280Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_072547.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	277281
Old 08-02-2022, 01:17 PM   #14

Thanks For all the replies we got back late yesterday and it was a 105゚ out it's tough to work on stuff when it's so hot.

Now I'm at work the rest of the week somebody said that it might be the controller for the camera as I am getting voltage cause it beeps when I hit the power button on the camera screen.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmotoman View Post
Backup and side camera STOPPED working.
2016 Mercedes Sunseeker 2400S MBS 11,600 miles.

Had it inspected before purchase and it worked on the way to the Campground which was only about 5 miles away from where we bought it.

When I backed into my spot it worked fine I tried to give as far back as I could until I reach a curb spot I did hear a very slight scraping so I stopped and pulled forward and parked there.

later on I looked at what might have scraped and it was too hangar exhaust bolts that were about one and a 1/2 inches too long.

I do not think this could have affected the camera but I am new to this whole RV experience.

I did take it to the place it was inspected and the technician looked at it and could not figure it out and said it would take some time which I did not have as I am vacationing and need to get back to The Valley and they were closing in 30 minutes.

They would not cover it as it was not part of the inspection and they do not cover labor.
My 2016 2401R rear view quitted working about the same mileage you got on your rig. I replaced new screen from RVS that can connect to all three cameras. Our old unit has a control box under the dash. There is no need for this control box because new screen came with control box builded into circuit board inside. Now it's working as it should. I hope it will work for you.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:47 PM   #16

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
My 2016 2401R rear view quitted working about the same mileage you got on your rig. I replaced new screen from RVS that can connect to all three cameras. Our old unit has a control box under the dash. There is no need for this control box because new screen came with control box builded into circuit board inside. Now it's working as it should. I hope it will work for you.
WoW great info! Just really mystified me as I had it inspected by a RV maintenance biz before I purchased this a few weeks ago.

Previous owner drove it home as she lived close by

it worked then and it worked on the way to the campground.

on the way back is when I noticed it was no longer working much to my dismay.

Did you install it yourself, was it hard I'm an OK mechanic but electrical gurus give me the Willie's!!!

is it basically plug and play, thanks for the info.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:02 AM   #17

Yes I installed it myself. I'm retired machinist, so you would not have any problem install it. First I replaceed control box under the dash ($50), but it was not working than I bought new screen (RVS-619N-NM). This one is exact like the old one except control box is build in. Hope it work for you. Good luck.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
Yes I installed it myself. I'm retired machinist, so you would not have any problem install it. First I replaceed control box under the dash ($50), but it was not working than I bought new screen (RVS-619N-NM). This one is exact like the old one except control box is build in. Hope it work for you. Good luck.
Awesome!
Replies like this and many others I have received are what make this a great and INFORMATIVE site.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-11-2022, 09:22 PM   #19

I have a 2021 Sunseeker and my backup camera and side view cameras quit. I'll give you a tip that cost me $400 to find out. The fuse was in a small control box located under the plastic trim on the driver side windshield post.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:05 AM   #20

A Porsche mechanic once told me, if an electrical problem shows up - look into the ground wires 1st. When my rear view camera system (certainly not same as yours) quit after having been reliable, I started tracing the ground wires within the system and sure enough it was a ground wire. Good luck.

Tags
camera