Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #1

Battery charging

What are most of you doing to keep the chassis battery and the coach batteries charged when not using I have a cover on ours so the solar panel is covered?
I have a battery tender and it dose not keep up with the coach batteries my full size charger seams to work fine for the chassis battery.
Stewardorng2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #2

Mine is usually plugged in so the coach batteries stay charged. The chassis battery seems to do OK without being charged for a month or so. I suppose one could use the chassis disconnect by the accelerator pedal to reduce drain on the chassis battery.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:35 PM   #3

We take the negative cable off on the chassis battery and use a battery disconnect switch directly on the coach battery (or disconnect that negative cable also). If the batteries are charged when you put it in storage, they should stay charged for months.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Mine is usually plugged in so the coach batteries stay charged. The chassis battery seems to do OK without being charged for a month or so. I suppose one could use the chassis disconnect by the accelerator pedal to reduce drain on the chassis battery.
Thank you for the reply when I would plug in our travel trailer in the past the batteries would get over charged to the point the water would boil so I am trying to avoid that.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewardorng2 View Post
Thank you for the reply when I would plug in our travel trailer in the past the batteries would get over charged to the point the water would boil so I am trying to avoid that.

The 3 or 4 stage converters in the newer units seem to avoid boiling the batteries. If the battery needs charging, it puts at least 13.6v to the battery. Once charged, it drops that to 13.2v to maintain (float) the charge.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 09-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
The 3 or 4 stage converters in the newer units seem to avoid boiling the batteries. If the battery needs charging, it puts at least 13.6v to the battery. Once charged, it drops that to 13.2v to maintain (float) the charge.
Thank you good information!
Old 09-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewardorng2 View Post
Thank you good information!

I would use a digital volt meter to verify that and make sure your converter is a 3 or 4 stage.

Mike and JoAnne

Tags
battery, charging