Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #1

Before I start drilling....(grill rail)

Hi All,

I bought a lightweight (23lb) Flame King grill that came with a rail attachment for the side of the RV. It can also be used as a tabletop. Seems like a nice convenience to be able to attach to the side of the RV, but, of course, drilling into the fiberglass worries me - is there anything I could hit that I don't want to (wiring, plumbing), and is there any equivalent of studs I should be looking for? And will the lighter weight fiberglass on the Sprinters hold OK?

Also I have seen a lot of chatter about heat againt the RV that normally ends in "not an issue" with these RV grills, but wanted to get Sprinter community opinion.

As you can probably tell, I'm talking myself into just using it on a tabletop as I write this post, but again wanted your experience and insight as guidance.

Thanks, Dave
Old 03-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #2

Unfortunately, I have no experience with mounting the rail to the side of the RV. But my Geo Pro trailer came with the rail already mounted and with a prep table and the little flame king grill. I can tell you I loved it! Every weekend camping trip I used the grill at least once. As an alternative to mounting the rail on the side, they do make a folding bumper mount.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #3

You can do amazing things with SeaSucker suction cups:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...hoCwIIQAvD_BwE

Bruce
Old 03-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Unfortunately, I have no experience with mounting the rail to the side of the RV. But my Geo Pro trailer came with the rail already mounted and with a prep table and the little flame king grill. I can tell you I loved it! Every weekend camping trip I used the grill at least once. As an alternative to mounting the rail on the side, they do make a folding bumper mount.
Glad to hear you liked the Flame King. Given it's 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the Webers and Colemans, I was a little worried about quality. But for our casual purposes I think it will be perfect.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, these do look amazing. I hadn't seen them before. The order is in!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

Bruce
Great suggestion.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #7
Olemax

With all due respect, I prefer to avoid anything with open flames within several feet of my RV. If there’s a grease fire, I don’t want it anywhere near anything I depend on.
2006 Sierra 2500HD CC SB (sold)

olemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiver View Post
Thanks Bruce, these do look amazing. I hadn't seen them before. The order is in!

I have one that I’ve used for about six years to mount a 48” TV on the outside of my RV with no problems. I also have one with an oscillating fan attached to it for keeping me cool and keeping the mosquitoes away from me. What’s nice about them is, I can put them wherever I want to put them — I’m not limited to watching TV at one location forever and I can move my fan right along with it.

Can you follow up with a picture of how you made these work for you when you’re done? I’ve seen lots of innovative creations utilizing these suction cups. I’d love to see yours.

Thanks,

Bruce

Tags
grill