Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
2018 Sunseeker 2400W MBS

Best Seat/Lid Combo for Thetford Toilet?

Okay folks, I just upgraded the OEM plastic Thetford toilet in my Sunseeker MBS 2400W to a nicer porcelain bowl model (Thetford Aqua Magic Style II) and now trying to find a better seat/lid combo than the original cheap plastic it came with. Initially posted this in the plumbing forum, but nobody answering me there, so starting a new abbreviated thread here for fellow MBS owners.

Ideally, I'd like to find a nice enameled wood (or at least solid surface plastic) slow-close model if available. Biggest problem I'm finding is locating something in the correct color, as I elected to go with the original "bone" color of the original unit in my coach. Neither Thetford or Camping World were of much help, and after checking around at the big box stores I could find nothing in BONE color that fit acceptably.

After many hours of internet research, finally got some leads on two potentially better-fitting candidates in the BONE color I need:

The Bath Royale BR620-02 seems to have the most positive reviews associated with actual RV use. It's a much heavier-duty plastic seat with smooth underside that features the soft-close I want and also a hinge design that allows for better fore-and-aft adjustment to better fit the Thetford's bowl design. It's available at Amazon for about $50.

The Mayfair 847SLOW 006 Kendall appears to be another possible option and is less expensive despite featuring an even stronger enameled wood seat AND the soft-close option. It too offers fore-and-aft hinge adjustment and is avail at Amazon for only $35.

I'm sure there are others here who might have been (or are?) in the same situation I'm in, so would be VERY interested to hear from anyone who's actually installed one of the above seats (or others?) on a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II, so they can share their opinions with us (good OR bad) about the quality & fitment of their selection. THANKS!

PS - I know many are likely to suggest just switching to the Dometic 320 which comes with a slow close sea/lid already, but space limitations don't allow for the footprint & different water hookups that would require. Besides, the Thetford line has served me well so far and the new one is already in place - so a NICER and easier to clean seat/lid combo is what I need at this point. Anxious to hear if others have already solved this problem?
Old 11-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
2018 Sunseeker 2400W MBS

Problem Solved

Well, surprisingly, I've received ZERO input on this topic - kind of unusual given the number of folks who have previously expressed so much interest in upgrading the cheap plastic toilets most RVs come with from the factory.

So, I went ahead and took a risk by ordering the Bath Royale model mentioned above (found it for an even lower price of $32 as an open box return item). Good news - it turned out to be a perfect color match for Thetford "bone" and the installation was super easy!

All-in-all, the new porcelain bowl toilet & upgraded soft-close seat make for a SIGNIFICANTLY enhanced bathroom experience. No more flexing & squeaking noises like the whole thing is about to fall apart underneath you, ha!

For those in the market, I HIGHLY recommend it!
Old 11-06-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Adding pictures might increase interest. As had been said many times on this forum, "Without pictures it didn't happen".
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

I would like to find one that is 6" shorter. Wife's feet can't even touch floor sitting on the can because FR mounted so high off floor
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
2018 Sunseeker 2400W MBS

Shorter "Low Profile" Version Also Available

Thetford DOES make a shorter "Low Profile" version of the Aqua Magic Style II that is lower by about 5 and a half inches. You might want to check that one out.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #6

I just built a little platform for the floor of the bathroom.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #7

That's an idea. And it could be tall enough to put a hinged lid on it and store TP and bottles of blue stuff under it.
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #8

Dometic's 311 and 321 are low profile versions of the 310 and 320 respectively.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #9

I just need to replace the toilet seat and cover, but keep the original Thetford toilet that came with my Forester. (One of the hinges broke on original seat.) Wonder if the Bath Royale seat would fit the original toilet ... any one with experience replacing just the seat/lid combo? In meantime, will measure existing, and compare to the Bath Royale.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #10

Toilet seat hinge pin replacement.

The hinge pin broke on one side of my toilet seat. Numerous email conversations with them got me nowhere. On-line replacements were not right. I did find that a metric bolt (and nylock nut) fit perfectly; it takes some effort to get them into the tight space. Sorry but I don't recall the sizes (diameter or length).

Tags
ford