Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #21
TARVIDSON

SSmbs thanks for letting us know about the fit on that G21. Nusslejj, I am very interested in your luck at tapping into something solid there. Keep us posted.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #22

Successfully Secured RV Outside Door Sill Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARVIDSON View Post
SSmbs thanks for letting us know about the fit on that G21. Nusslejj, I am very interested in your luck at tapping into something solid there. Keep us posted.
It turns out there is about 3/8" to 1/2" inch of drill-able metal under the sill plate near the inside edge, and it continues along the entire length of the plate.

I still have no idea how that plate is mounted to the RV, but was able to drill with a 13x64 bit and tapped 1/4-20 threads, then screwed in 4 stainless 1/4-20 screws.

I think 1/4-20 is a good size - not too small, not too large. Any larger and I suspect you could miss the metal underneath.

It is now absolutely secure. No rocking whatsoever.

NOTE: I had to place the outside left and right holes based on how my tap-tool handles could swing. The door-hinge side I used an L handle tap (smaller one) so I could get as close to the gas-shock nubbin as I could. That took time to disconnect/reconnect on every turn. The other side I just used the T-handle, as it just works better. It is not perfectly spaced because of that, but I think it looks fine, and certainly fixed the problem.

Because I believe over time the combination of the gas shock on the door and normal foot traffic on the edge of that aluminum sill plate will work it loose (it has to), the factory should consider this solution.

One other thing I will probably do - I'll probably remove the other small aluminum sill plate and replace it with some black caulking. I think it looks out of place, and after you remove it you see it doesn't really cover much - just a fairly small gap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	101513  
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #23

I need to retract what I said that I could not find a 10# 20" door strut that would fit my MBS. I was correct that they would not fit the way they arrived with composite ends that were too big for door clearance. However I discovered that the ends screw on the strut so you just have to use your current ends. The 10# strut does not throw the door open as quickly.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #24
TARVIDSON

Thanks to both SSmbs and Nusslejj for the info!
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #25

Mine broke this weekend when the wind caught the door pulling it open quickly. The strut stuck on the extended position and wound not allow the door to close. Of course I gave it a push and bent the shaft. Bought a 10lb replacement and I like it much better. 20lb wasn't an option at the parts store I was near.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door