Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 12:41 AM   #1

Camping clubs

Hi do you belong to any camping club? What pros and cons and would buy it if as you would know now? I'm looking for one but afraid that I can't get out of contract when I want to.

Thanks
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #2
Always Learning

See if this helps:
Various Memberships for the Weekender and Fulltimer | Learn To RV
Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 AM   #3
Site Team

AAA gets the same 10% that Good Sam gets.

so i only belong to Passport America.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #4

It depends on your needs and how you would benefit from a "camping club".

We became a life member of Good Sam when they had a "deal". We more than paid for the membership years ago but we have been camping for 30 years. This was long before their tie with Camping World. So for us no annual fees from Good Sam and still get the 10% camping discount and CW deals.

We rarely camp at a member campground that would benefit us if we had passport america for us the annual fee would be wasted.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

I believe can awful lot of belonging to "clubs" depends on the type of RV'ing you do. If you predominately spend your travel time in RV parks, them something like Good Sam, KOA, Passport America may save you some money. If you spend the bulk of your time in national parks, national forests, BLM or state parks, then not so much. We find that, being over the age of requiring ID to buy anything, having Golden Age passport for NP, AARP and AAA often gives us the same benefits as some pricey club, plus we rarely stay in RV parks. Something to consider.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
I believe can awful lot of belonging to "clubs" depends on the type of RV'ing you do. If you predominately spend your travel time in RV parks, them something like Good Sam, KOA, Passport America may save you some money. If you spend the bulk of your time in national parks, national forests, BLM or state parks, then not so much. We find that, being over the age of requiring ID to buy anything, having Golden Age passport for NP, AARP and AAA often gives us the same benefits as some pricey club, plus we rarely stay in RV parks. Something to consider.
I'm not a full times RVer but in 11 months I will have lot of free times. Washington State parks cost as much as private parks. High Desert I would love to learn your ways. I like your ways of camping. I have senior national lifetime membership. National parks in Oregon and Washington are booked full all year round and it cost $40 per night last year.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
Hi do you belong to any camping club? What pros and cons and would buy it if as you would know now? I'm looking for one but afraid that I can't get out of contract when I want to.

Thanks
Do you like time shares??
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:07 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
I'm not a full times RVer but in 11 months I will have lot of free times. Washington State parks cost as much as private parks. High Desert I would love to learn your ways. I like your ways of camping. I have senior national lifetime membership. National parks in Oregon and Washington are booked full all year round and it cost $40 per night last year.
We spend a lot of time in BLM and National Forest land and do not mind dry camping. Using our Golden Eagle Passport, everything is 50% off. Takes the sting off quite a bit and a lot of the national forest, around where I live, is free. Cant beat it!
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
..........so i only belong to Passport America.
X2 ........ Passport America Lifetime Membership (Lifetime membership is one time transferable)

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #10

We belong to Good Sam, and the local chapter. We camp together 9 months of the year and meet for lunch the other 3 . We have 15 rigs in our group. We also joined Passport America. It's great if you do long distance travelling and don't want to boondock every stop.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 AM   #11

ive always been able to get my goodsam membership discount at campgrounds. as i only camp in the summer moths, not one passport America club honoured the discount. so i didn't renew passport America.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

Thanks for all your responded to my questions.

Tags
camping