Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 01:57 AM   #1
Sunseeker 2400MBW

CCC again.......

I know cargo carrying capacity has been discussed ad nauseam but I can't find a thread answering my exact confusion. We live in our 2400W Sunseeker so I keep struggling with our ever creeping upwards cargo weight.

The question is "how is GVWR figured out?"

Our door sticker says our GVWR is 11030 lbs.
Front is 4410 lbs
Rear is 7720 lbs
Ok, the front and rear add up to 12130 lbs, NOT 11030. Where do you get this 11030 lbs?
The UVW is not on the door but the brochure says 9924 lbs
The CCC is not on the door but brochure says 1106 lbs

I have done a lot of searching and Mr Clemens says in another post you figure your CCC by subtracting UVW from GVWR if I understand correctly.

Obviously, there is something we don't understand. I even searched for a sticky on this but I couldn't find it. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
I know cargo carrying capacity has been discussed ad nauseam but I can't find a thread answering my exact confusion. We live in our 2400W Sunseeker so I keep struggling with our ever creeping upwards cargo weight.

The question is "how is GVWR figured out?"

Our door sticker says our GVWR is 11030 lbs.
Front is 4410 lbs
Rear is 7720 lbs
Ok, the front and rear add up to 12130 lbs, NOT 11030. Where do you get this 11030 lbs?
The UVW is not on the door but the brochure says 9924 lbs
The CCC is not on the door but brochure says 1106 lbs

I have done a lot of searching and Mr Clemens says in another post you figure your CCC by subtracting UVW from GVWR if I understand correctly.

Obviously, there is something we don't understand. I even searched for a sticky on this but I couldn't find it. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Well Nancy...(Ronald Reagan joke in there somewhere)

The front and rear numbers you listed are the axle ratings and thankfully added together are above your GVWR.

GVWR is a number assigned by the manufacturer as a maximum allowable total weight. Your brochure used this GVWR number and subtracted a 'vehicles' weight from it to get 1106.

The very best way to get your individaul CCC is by rolling onto a scale and getting your rig weighed. That number minus your GVWR of 11030 is your available CCC.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #3

There should be an FR provided sticker on the drivers side door jamb listing your specific vehicle's CCC.

My understanding is that each motorhome is weighed after manufacture and the empty weight is subtracted from the chassis manufacturer's gross weight and that number is your CCC.

If your's is 1100 pounds or so, consider yourself very lucky. Mine is around 900 pounds, although I replaced all 7 steel wheels with aluminum and picked up over 80 pounds of CCC. (No comments on unsprung weight please - I know the distinction).
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
Sunseeker 2400MBW

There is a sticker but it seems pretty generic, not "personalized" as it matches the online brochure specs. Our sticker includes a GVWR of 11,030lbs, and front and rear gross axle weights and tire pressures.

There is another sticker re: the tires I haven't looked at before (except for PSI) and the CCC there is *906 lbs*. There is not another CCC on any sticker, I was using 1103lbs from the brochure. Yuk.

My problem I think, is I was adding our actual CAT scale axle weights and then subtracting the brochure's GVWR and CCC or something like that.

It seems the axles can carry much more than the tires. We are under the gross axle ratings. And *over* the CCC rating.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

This is what my 2016 Sprinter based Prism 24G says for OCCC: (Actually the seat belt capacity is for 4 people as the recliners have seat belts.) So my UVW is 9374 lbs. Including the VIN number is pretty personalized and vehicle specific, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCCC.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	207633  

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #6
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
This is what my 2016 Sprinter based Prism 24G says for OCCC: (Actually the seat belt capacity is for 4 people as the recliners have seat belts.) So my UVW is 9374 lbs. Including the VIN number is pretty personalized and vehicle specific, IMO.

Where did you find the UVW of 9374?
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Where did you find the UVW of 9374?

GCWR - OCCC = UVW so 11030 - 1656 or stated another way UVW + OCCC = GVWR. OCCC is calculated by taking GCWR and subtracting the UVW.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
Always Learning

As a fulltimer, I completely understand the challenges of CCC. My family of 4 struggles constantly for this. It's a running joke that while we're at stores, I'll "yell" at the kids, "no, we can't buy that, my house is already overweight."

The BEST thing for you to do is what BigH said- take your motorhome to the nearest truck stop and weigh it. Motorhomes have it the easiest, all you have to do is pull onto the scale and weigh once.

This will give you 3 numbers:
- steer axle (aka front) weight
- drive axle (aka rear) weight
- and it will add the 2 together for you for your vehicle's actual weight

The UVW, yellow sticker, and brochure don't matter. Weigh your setup as it is and check it against the GVWR of 11,030 pounds.

Then check that the front and rear axle weight ratings are under.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I’ve weighed 4 times at CAT scales. Our numbers creep up every time.
We are 40lbs Over in the front and 200 Under in the rear just going by gross axle weights.
And 350lbs Under for the GCWR (we tow a car).

But, I discovered a new sticker! up high on the driver side door jamb. Our VIN number and “Dry Weight 9900lbs”. What exactly does that include? I read no battery and no LP. Unless you’re in Canada, it’s UVW. However, I’m not in Canada, I’m just getting fatter by the minute.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #10

Dry Weight

Dry Weight is the actual weight of a vehicle or trailer containing standard equipment without fuel, fluids, cargo, passengers, or optional equipment.
We have seen the following variations to this definition:
  • Includes commonly ordered optional equipment
  • Includes fluids of generator and other onboard equipment (oil, coolant, fuel)
  • May or may not include RV batteries
Pay close attention to how the manufacturer defines Dry Weight because this is often used to calculate other weights, such as the cargo carrying capacity or Payload.
UVW: Unloaded Vehicle Weight

UVW Includes
  • Vehicle weight as manufactured at the factory
  • Full fuel tank weight
  • Equipment fluids weight

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) is the weight of a vehicle as manufactured at the factory. It includes full engine and generator fuel tanks and fluids, if applicable. It does not include cargo, water, propane, or dealer-installed accessories. Be aware that some manufacturers weigh each unit to determine UVW, while others provide only the average or estimated weight for each model.
We have seen the following variations to this definition:
  • Includes actual factory installed options
  • Includes commonly ordered factory installed options
Pay close attention to how the manufacturer defines UVW because this is often used to calculate other weights, such as the cargo carrying capacity or Payload.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-v...derstand.shtml

Mike and JoAnne
Old 06-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
I’ve weighed 4 times at CAT scales. Our numbers creep up every time.
We are 40lbs Over in the front and 200 Under in the rear just going by gross axle weights.
And 350lbs Under for the GCWR (we tow a car).
So if you know your weights- what does the CCC matter?

If my math is right, sounds like you need to lose 940 lbs to get under the GVWR.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
<snip>
If my math is right, sounds like you need to lose 940 lbs to get under the GVWR.

There goes the engine and tires.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 06-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
There goes the engine and tires.
Heh. Yeah. I honestly don’t see how many folks are able to fulltime in a majority of Class C motorhomes. The CCC is just so low to hold everything someone owns.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Heh. Yeah. I honestly don’t see how many folks are able to fulltime in a majority of Class C motorhomes. The CCC is just so low to hold everything someone owns.

Had friends that did for 2.5 yrs in a 3010DS - he carried 22k rounds of ammunition that weighed about 1500 lbs - he did not go to California. Also had his suburban pretty well loaded out.

Mike and JoAnne